IGNORED

Lowish cost renderer that outputs spdif?

CrushingIt

My dad was one of the earliest to feature a usb input. No one even knew what synch meant in those days. I've been using the spdif input via a JK modded HiFace, but most likely a renderer won't recognize software needed to keep on using the HiFace.

And I don't really want to get rid of the dac.....what's a guy to do?

Steve

My dad was one of the earliest to feature a usb input. No one even knew what synch meant in those days. I've been using the spdif input via a JK modded HiFace, but most likely a renderer won't recognize software needed to keep on using the HiFace.

Steve

Whistle!!

"You know how to whistle don't you Steve?"

Or better still, explain your user case a little more succinctly, flesh on the bones, you know the sort of thing, what you got and how do you use it and what exactly do you want to do?

atb

Ronnie, who has rubbed hard but still can't see anything in the crystal ball.

Or better still, explain your user case a little more succinctly

+1, not exactly clear on the details...

But based on

Lowish cost renderer that outputs spdif?

I'd go with Raspberry Pi 2 or 3 with HiFiBerry Digi+... total would be under $100 and performance on par with anything that outputs Toslink.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

First off, my dad? Not sure what protocol he uses for USB!

My digital currently:

macbook running Audirvana via USB (no power leg) to a JKenny Hiface. Spdif cable to TwinDac Plus. HD's via Firefire.

I'm looking towards using roon in several rooms all run from an iMac. I'll use a Raspberry Pi for one, but thought there would be a better option to connect to my TwinDac in my main system. I could spend lots of cash with aftermarket power supplies for the iMac and run it straight to the TwinDac, but a renderer seems like a better solution. But again, the TwinDac was probably the first dac with usb and I doubt its quality is anything to crow about.

Steve

My digital currently:

macbook running Audirvana via USB (no power leg) to a JKenny Hiface. Spdif cable to TwinDac Plus. HD's via Firefire.

I'm looking towards using roon in several rooms all run from an iMac. I'll use a Raspberry Pi for one, but thought there would be a better option to connect to my TwinDac in my main system. I could spend lots of cash with aftermarket power supplies for the iMac and run it straight to the TwinDac, but a renderer seems like a better solution. But again, the TwinDac was probably the first dac with usb and I doubt its quality is anything to crow about.

Steve

This seller thought otherwise

FS: TwinDAC Plus

what about this?

SONORE microRendu

Why not try with the pi first to get the feel of things and research more whilst so doing.

sorry I'm not so helpful but the term "renderer" always makes me think of cheap meat !! lol.

atb

ronnie

My digital currently:

Steve

So basically you want to keep the DAC and use a better asynch to USB converter? I replaced my JK mkIII with a Gustard U12, far better sounding than the Mk III with coax, optical and I2S connection for audio out to DAC, about $170 as I recall.

Given that the DAC originated in 2004, its hopelessly behind current DAC's for technology and fidelity. You can find some good new DAC starting options in the $500~$600 price range that will support DSD and have current generation integrated asynch USB. I'm assuming this thread is the DAC you have

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?106931-FS-TwinDAC-Plus

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

For a renderer with S/PDIF out the Pi is a good fit. The best I can think of.

Aries Mini is a good option too at a budget. Has multiple inputs including ethernet and WiFi, and Coaxial and TOSLINK outputs.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Steve

Steve, if I may comment....our Sonicorbiter SE has optical output. However, the unit's software will work via USB with your JK modded HiFace and likely sound much better with it.

Aha....that I did't realize. Now we are talking...thanks so much

Steve, if I may comment....our Sonicorbiter SE has optical output. However, the unit's software will work via USB with your JK modded HiFace and likely sound much better with it.

I think you've missed my point. I want to rid myself of the noise thats inherent in a mac mini....noise that affects the final signal out of the computer...isn't that why a renderer is a much better idea? A 'computer" designed for low noise?

And why would you assume that a dad from 2004 wouldn't hold its own soundwise? Don't fall victim to marketing speak....find me another dad that has the same features...honestly maybe you are right...I know its good enough that I don't care to keep looking...I just feed it better and better data.

So basically you want to keep the DAC and use a better asynch to USB converter? I replaced my JK mkIII with a Gustard U12, far better sounding than the Mk III with coax, optical and I2S connection for audio out to DAC, about $170 as I recall.

Given that the DAC originated in 2004, its hopelessly behind current DAC's for technology and fidelity. You can find some good new DAC starting options in the $500~$600 price range that will support DSD and have current generation integrated asynch USB. I'm assuming this thread is the DAC you have

FS: TwinDAC Plus

• 1 month later...

CrushingIt, i use a Sony BDP S7200 as a DNLA renderer to play hi res music that I stream to it from a Mac Mini running JRiver. The Sony has a SPIDF out and does fine playing FLAC, ALAC, AAC, and MP3 at all resolutions up to 192/24. It may play other file types as well, I'm not sure. (Actually, I'm sure it plays WAV, although it does the choppy clicky thing with WAVs above 48/16) for my needs it works great. The fact that it's also Blu Ray player is strictly bonus :). MSRP is 180.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk