IGNORED

iTunes update dilemma

So you can call me paranoid, but I have consciously avoided updating my itunes software from fear of contaminating my music files (having them compressed), losing metadata, playlists or whatever. I was still happily using iTunes 11.0.5.

I say 'was', because yesterday when the apple software update box appeared, I inadvertently clicked 'install' instead of 'not now' . Couldn't stop it from downloading - could barely stop my bowels from downloading. It's version 12.2.2.

Then, in a futile attempt to stop the software and potential contamination, I clicked 'disagree' on the license agreement. I then went into time machine in another futile attempt to restore the itunes application, but apparently that can't be done from an external drive.

So I still haven't actually opened the updated itunes to see what's what, and am having this dilemma:

1. If I open it, having disagreed with the user license, might I lose all playlists or whatever - or will the license agreement simply reappear.

2. Is it easy for me to somehow reinstall the previous itunes application which must still be on the iMac (OSX 10.7.5) though it's not in the trash.

3. Should I just chill, open iTunes, sign a reappearing user agreement box?? and enjoy the updated software. I had been sorting my files and updating the metadata and artwork using Doug's Applescripts, and exporting files using XLD in preparation for using Audirvana on an old Mac Mini - so I do have back-up music files.

I've been upgrading iTunes for years without any data impact like 99.5% of the users out there. My suspicion is that metadata errors are in the vast majority of cases user errors, not software problems.

The only potentially messy part of iTunes is the Match and ICloud functions.

If you don't activate these you should indeed probably just chill

And if you're really still in paranoid, just clone your library with CCC or Super Duper so you can just restore it 1:1 should anything go wrong

I've been singing the same song around here for some time. Not only shouid folks have multiple backups of their entire music library on external media, they should also regularly make bootable backups on external drives or SD card of their entire computer hard drive, including the OSX, all your apps, and personal files. I use the freeware Mac app, SuperDuper!, to do this. That way, if anything whatsoever goes amiss, you simply boot from the external, launch SuperDuper!, and direct it to erase your computer's hard drive/partition and restore it exactly as it was before you made the boo-boo.

I've been singing the same song around here for some time. Not only shouid folks have multiple backups of their entire music library on external media, they should also regularly make bootable backups on external drives or SD card of their entire computer hard drive, including the OSX, all your apps, and personal files. I use the freeware Mac app, SuperDuper!, to do this. That way, if anything whatsoever goes amiss, you simply boot from the external, launch SuperDuper!, and direct it to erase your computer's hard drive/partition and restore it exactly as it was before you made the boo-boo.

Other than being a Carbon Copy Cloner fan -- because that's a much better name for software than "SuperDuper" -- I totally agree.

Totally.

Dave, who has multiple copies of both his music libraries and system drives stored in multiple places

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

Keep one of the backups several miles away in case your neighborhood burns down.

Hey, it's been known to happen.

Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 8.34.46 PM.png

I do have a fire-resistant safe, so if my house burns to the ground, I will (hopefully) still have the deed and title insurance documents to the rubble, some of my wife's jewelry, our wills and passports, and my digital music library and computer files.

Keep one of the backups several miles away in case your neighborhood burns down.

Or in case...since I live about 3 miles as the turkey vulture flies from one of the oldest nuclear power plants in the U.S. of A.

Dave, who believes that modern nuclear power plants might be a useful part of our energy future but not an outdated design situated in a county of 1 million people and only 40 miles from the largest city in English-speaking North America

Music is love, made audible.

Thanks for reminding me that I have a bunch of recent purchases to upload to Amazon Cloud Drive. $70/year for unlimited (i.e., half the cost of a single 4Tb drive).

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

I certainly can't predict what will happen if you try the new iTunes version, but I can tell you that I was in a somewhat similar situation a while back. I'd delayed updating iTunes through several generations because of the horror stories. Then because of other computer problems, I had to update it to what I believe is now the next-to-latest version. It didn't harm a single thing. All I had to do is get used to the new graphic interface.

And by the way, "SuperDuper" is such a better name than "Carbon Copy" that it is not even a contest. :-)

-Bob