IGNORED

Which of these two mics sounds better for voice?

Hi, I'm looking for a good mic for doing Let's Play's and streaming. I would like to know what difference (if any) in voice quality would be experienced with the two mics listted below:

1 Audio-Technica AT2020 Cardioid Condenser Microphone (non usb) with a pre amp

and 2 The Blue Yeti (USB)

Would there be any difference in quality?

Please let me know your thoughts and opinions.

It's not quite that simple... most studios have multiple mics and choose the one that best matches the voice being recorded. Not sure of your budget but I would recommend going to a music shop and trying a few if you can.

... and this might help: 31 of the best microphones for recording vocals | MusicRadar

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

The USB mic will have a higher noise floor. Maybe not enough to be a problem for most purposes.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I'd say At2020 but there's a plethora of mics out there in that price range. As mentioned mics are a very personal thing so trying out a few would be ideal. You'll get bigger variances between mics than you would preamps. Any decent Pre would do the job but same can't be said for mics.

• 3 weeks later...

I have listened to mic tests on youtube and honestly can not hear any difference. I will go on your recommendations with the AT2020 with a preamp.

After looking around on Aamazon I found these:

[h=1]Behringer U-PHORIA UM2[/h]

[h=1]ART Tube MP Tube[/h]

[h=1]Focusrite Scarlett 2i2[/h]

[h=1]DBX 286S[/h]

I suspect that last one may be overkill for simple let's plays that I use the mic for. Are they all suitable for an AT2020? Should I just go with the cheapest?

I have listened to mic tests on youtube and honestly can not hear any difference. I will go on your recommendations with the AT2020 with a preamp.

After looking around on Aamazon I found these:

Behringer U-PHORIA UM2

ART Tube MP Tube

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

DBX 286S

I suspect that last one may be overkill for simple let's plays that I use the mic for. Are they all suitable for an AT2020? Should I just go with the cheapest?

I would recommend the Focusrite Scarlett. Very smooth and pleasant sound, and a popular choice with audiobook and voiceover folks. It also makes a darn nice little music DAC with some adapter plugs.

Hi, I'm looking for a good mic for doing Let's Play's and streaming. I would like to know what difference (if any) in voice quality would be experienced with the two mics listted below:

1 Audio-Technica AT2020 Cardioid Condenser Microphone (non usb) with a pre amp

and 2 The Blue Yeti (USB)

Would there be any difference in quality?

Please let me know your thoughts and opinions.

It depends. If you are recording a vocalist who tends to "eat" the mike and who's idea of singing is to scream into the mike like Mick Jagger, then I would use a robust, simple dynamic mike like an ElecrtoVoice PL-80A. You don't want to use a condenser (or god forbid, a ribbon mike) for such a performer. On the other hand, if your vocalist is merely speaking, or singing normally, then it doesn't matter so much but I'd still use a mike shield for vocals to avoid the vocalist "popping" his/her "P's" and I'd still avoid a ribbon. They are just too fragile for vocal work (unless you are using an RCA 44-BX or the modern AEA version). I still say that an ElectroVoice PL-80A or equivalent is the ideal vocal mike irrespective of what (or who) it is being used on.

George

I'd say the Scarlett would be the one to pick. I've got dozens of outboard preamps and mics and the Focusrite range is more than capable. Other mics you might consider are the EV-RE20 and the Shure SM7. The SM7 needs more than average gain so keep that in mind.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks! And that will fit both the 2020 and the 2035 with a shock mount? I haven't decided which to get yet. I just need to be absolutely clear about what I'm getting since it's quite a bit of money.

All mic stands and shock mounts are compatible, it's a pretty universal standard.

• 3 weeks later...

So I have borrowed my brothers AT2020 to test it out, and it is a great mic but I have a lot of background noise around me when I'm recording and was wondering if a Audio-Technica ATR-6550 ATR Series Condenser Shotgun Microphone would be better. I hear shotgun mics don't pick up background noise.

So I have borrowed my brothers AT2020 to test it out, and it is a great mic but I have a lot of background noise around me when I'm recording and was wondering if a Audio-Technica ATR-6550 ATR Series Condenser Shotgun Microphone would be better. I hear shotgun mics don't pick up background noise.

I'm not familiar with it but from reviews I've read it sounds like it would cut down on ambient noise to some extent. For the money it looks like it will do what you want.

• 2 months later...

Audio-Technica AT2020 definitely perform better than those of other condenser ones that have no pre-amp. As per my experience, they sound too natural, even with pop filters sometimes. In that regard, I would suggest you jump for Audio-Technica AT4040. Remember that condenser mics are not to be used in noisy untreated spaces.

But dynamic mics, are suitable for both untreated and treated spaces. If you ae in a too noisy space, consider shotguns (like Rode NTG4 PLUS) as their pickup pattern is very narrow.

If you are willing to carry the mic with you, without pre-amp for portability Blue Yeti is the best. But the downside is that they are bit bulky. The polar patterns in these mics are customizable, suitable to take two sided interviews in podcasting etc. It's the best known customizable mic with loads of features for newbies.

Refer this guide by Will https://vloggerpro.com/best-microphones-for-youtube-vlogging/

This post is also quite informative if you are looking for mics for podcasting and voice-overs.Top 10 Best Microphones for Voice Over and Podcast Recording

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 7/21/2016 at 5:19 AM, Astralogic said:

Most cardioid pattern mikes attenuate off-axis noise, what you are talking about, a "shotgun" mike is actually a hypercardioid, they are mostly for picking up voices from a distance (like picking up, from the broadcast booth, the referee on the field at a football game as he announces the type of penalty he's imposed). Look at it this way (to use a photography analogy): an omnidirectional microphone is like a spherical fish-eye lens and receives light from all directions. A cardioid mike is like a portrait lens (~90mm in 35mm film jargon) and a shotgun mike is like a long telephoto lens (200 -1000mm depending on what kind of a shotgun microphone you buy).

George