IGNORED

LPS.. Need your advice.

I'm looking for LPS for Brooklyn.

In my list are HDPLEX 100W, TeraDak 100W, and Uptone JS-2.

Which one sounds best?

DAC - Mytek Brooklyn, Intona High Speed Isolator.Int.Amp - ATC SIA2 150,SP - ATC SCM19, Sub - Paradigm SW2200

Source - Audio PC, Core i7 4785T 2.2Ghz, 8G PPA RAM, Samsung 850pro , WD Black HDD, JCAT USB card, PPA BLACK SATA Cable, HDPLEX H5 gen2 case, LPSu - Uptone JS-2 for DAC and USB Card - TeraDak ATX350W for PC, OS wins2012R2, Audio Optimizer, Fidelizer Pro, ASIO JPLAY, Foobar2000+Ramdisk, Hq player, SP cable - JPS superconductor2, Analog interconnect - Harmornic Tech Magic link III, USB cable - JCAT twin cable, Power cable - JPS kaptivator for Uptone JS-2 forDAC and USB card, Wireworld electra7 for PC, Wireworld electra7 silver for Amp, Magnet 2000 power line stabilzer and conditioner for DAC,PC

12932837_1700967073514123_7525078827891555851_n.jpg

I don't think there's a better AC powered LPS than the JS-2.

I haven't tried the Teradak, but can certainly agree about the performance of the JS-2. The JS-2 produced a dramatic improvement in the sound quality in my system.

I found the other LPSUs.

Qualiaphysic Psu 271SV.

Another one is Paul Hynes SR5. Could you compare them to JS-2?

DAC - Mytek Brooklyn, Intona High Speed Isolator.Int.Amp - ATC SIA2 150,SP - ATC SCM19, Sub - Paradigm SW2200

Source - Audio PC, Core i7 4785T 2.2Ghz, 8G PPA RAM, Samsung 850pro , WD Black HDD, JCAT USB card, PPA BLACK SATA Cable, HDPLEX H5 gen2 case, LPSu - Uptone JS-2 for DAC and USB Card - TeraDak ATX350W for PC, OS wins2012R2, Audio Optimizer, Fidelizer Pro, ASIO JPLAY, Foobar2000+Ramdisk, Hq player, SP cable - JPS superconductor2, Analog interconnect - Harmornic Tech Magic link III, USB cable - JCAT twin cable, Power cable - JPS kaptivator for Uptone JS-2 forDAC and USB card, Wireworld electra7 for PC, Wireworld electra7 silver for Amp, Magnet 2000 power line stabilzer and conditioner for DAC,PC

The JS-2 produced a dramatic improvement in the sound quality in my system.5.gif

this is Paul Hynes PR3 spec

I don't know much about tech stuff so don't understand what it is.

If you are tech guy, please explain it a little bit for me?

The PR3

- Aluminum Case

- IXYS Schottky Barrier rectification (Schotkies have no reverse recovery interference spikes)

- Output stage using top quality IXYS power devices.

- mains transformer is 130VA custom built to my specifications to avoid core saturation during operation.

- topology are considerably better than the LT1083 specifications.

- voltage regulator noise measurements using an HP3561a spectrum analyser specialized for low frequency measurement down to the sub 1Hz region

The noise floor of 3561A is typically 15nV/sqrt Hz and the PR3 series regulator was around 44nV/sqrt. When the 3561A noise floor is factored into the measurement the PR3 series regulator would display lower noise than 44nV/sqrt.

The ALW version of the Walt Jung ultra low noise regulator, which is the lowest noise of the generally available DIY regulator circuits, was also tested.

Here are the NF at 10Hz to 100 KHz:

PR3 series reg – 44nV/sqrt. Hz

ALW series reg – 70nV/sqrt. Hz

40 nV/rtHz = 5 uVrms.

Measured from DC to 100 KHz the output impedance remains below 3 milliohms and the supply line rejection exceeds 80 dB.

Regulation operating bandwidth is from DC to approx 300 MHz allowing excellent wide bandwidth regulation particularly important for powering digital equipment clocking at high frequencies.

Transient response for a 5A load current change is typically <100nanoseconds and the settling time is also <100nanoseconds. Transient current delivery for >30A.

Panasonic FC, FM and FR low ESR high ripple current, high temperature energy storage capacitors for excellent transient current delivery and long working life.

The specs for the regulator are :-

Line regulation < +/- 0.01%

Load regulation < 0.1% from 0 – 5A

Regulator output noise and ripple typically 5 microvolts

Ripple rejection >80 db from DC to 100 KHz

IEC inlet silver plated pins

XLR silver plated pins

As you would expect from Paul Hynes, the PSU specifications are way better than from HDPlex etc.

IIRC, John Swenson also uses Schottky diodes for rectification in his JS2 for the same reasons.

I also use a Paul Hynes 3.3V regulator in the Input PCB of my DIY DAC.

I think that most people would be very happy with either a JS2 or a PR3 if it meets their requirements for the number of voltage rails and available voltage outputs. Unless things have changed recently, there may however be a longer delay in obtaining a Paul Hynes PSU.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Sandy, how about throwing in a Sonore LPS for comparison?

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Unless things have changed recently, there may however be a longer delay in obtaining a Paul Hynes PSU.

Does anybody know why does it take such long time to get a Paul Hynes supply ? What is the current wait time ? I have seen folks waiting as much as 2 years, wow! Is it worth the wait ?

Does anybody know why does it take such long time to get a Paul Hynes supply ? What is the current wait time ? I have seen folks waiting as much as 2 years, wow! Is it worth the wait ?

TWO YEARS?? Are you kidding me? @o@'

JS-2 then... I can't wait such a very long time like that.

TWO YEARS?? Are you kidding me? @o@'

JS-2 then... I can't wait such a very long time like that.

I think that is no longer the case. But check with Paul as the build times are dependent on many things, such as model, parts availability, and popularity of each model at time of order.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

I think that is no longer the case. But check with Paul as the build times are dependent on many things, such as model, parts availability, and popularity of each model at time of order.

IIRC, a while back Paul had a major health problem, so this may no longer be the case.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I don't think there's a better AC powered LPS than the JS-2.

Hello,

Anecdotally, I have a Mac Mini late 2012 Core i7 2,6 GHz 4 Cores with a MMK and Uptone JS-2. The sound is fantastic!

The thing is, my mini cuts when I request it too much (E.g. when I upsample in DSD128 with HQplayer or Audirvana), because my little JS-2 delivers me not enough amperes.

The problem is that there is to my knowledge no supply which delivers more of 7A to the SQ level of the JS-2. I tried Teradak (R-Core, 280W, 15A), but it is too much noise effects, and the beautiful basses of JS-2 missed me terribly. I also tried a HDplex and some « No Name ».

And one day by surfing on the forum, I see « Handcrafted Audiophile Linear Power Supply by Kenneth Lau » very attractive with Amperes « à la carte ». After some e-mails, I order one « Signature Edition » with Furutech, capa Mundorf etc. hoping that it belongs to the same SQ as my JS-2. The delivery was very fast (express).

My first impression is very satisfied. I consider good that it is better than my UpTone JS-2. More detailed, bigger soundstage, a little more air, without losing however this analog side and these famous beautiful basses, very round and very firm which I did not manage to find in the other supply than the JS-2.

But after a week burn-in. I cannot believe it which sound the listening becomes intimate with the artists. I hear EVERYTHING, the pressure of fingers on keyboards, the breaths, etc.

What is funny in this affair is that I bought this supply to be able to upsample with HQplayer or Audirvana without my mini cuts. And with this new supply the sound is better without upsampling (Bordel de m€rd*!!!)

I was addict of DSD upsampling because I find that it filters better the noise. Well since then, I upsample not anymore, there is not noise anymore. The sound is simply incredible!!! It is an atomic bomb!!!! I am going to die on my sofa, Help me!!!

Hello,

Anecdotally, I have a Mac Mini late 2012 Core i7 2,6 GHz 4 Cores with a MMK and Uptone JS-2. The sound is fantastic!

The thing is, my mini cuts when I request it too much (E.g. when I upsample in DSD128 with HQplayer or Audirvana), because my little JS-2 delivers me not enough amperes.

The problem is that there is to my knowledge no supply which delivers more of 7A to the SQ level of the JS-2. I tried Teradak (R-Core, 280W, 15A), but it is too much noise effects, and the beautiful basses of JS-2 missed me terribly. I also tried a HDplex and some « No Name ».

And one day by surfing on the forum, I see « Handcrafted Audiophile Linear Power Supply by Kenneth Lau » very attractive with Amperes « à la carte ». After some e-mails, I order one « Signature Edition » with Furutech, capa Mundorf etc. hoping that it belongs to the same SQ as my JS-2. The delivery was very fast (express).

My first impression is very satisfied. I consider good that it is better than my UpTone JS-2. More detailed, bigger soundstage, a little more air, without losing however this analog side and these famous beautiful basses, very round and very firm which I did not manage to find in the other supply than the JS-2.

But after a week burn-in. I cannot believe it which sound the listening becomes intimate with the artists. I hear EVERYTHING, the pressure of fingers on keyboards, the breaths, etc.

What is funny in this affair is that I bought this supply to be able to upsample with HQplayer or Audirvana without my mini cuts. And with this new supply the sound is better without upsampling (Bordel de m€rd*!!!)

I was addict of DSD upsampling because I find that it filters better the noise. Well since then, I upsample not anymore, there is not noise anymore. The sound is simply incredible!!! It is an atomic bomb!!!! I am going to die on my sofa, Help me!!!

Do You have Kenneth Lau?

Do You have Kenneth Lau?

His link,sorry...

Hello,

I have no problem with my 2012/13 Mac Mini with a MMK and being powered by a JS-2, up-sampling all rates to DSD256 with HQ Player. And that is while the JS-2 was powering a Regen at the same time.

Not saying you had no problem but I wounder if it was for another reason.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

Hello,

Just to be clear for everyone, Raphaël's JS-2 was one of the very earliest we built (the 20th unit, and we have now built over 300!), and originally had an 18V transformer, whereas we have been creeping up to a 21V transformer (and a new "no load" load circuit allowed us to do that so under no load the voltage to the main board would not shorten the life of the big filter caps).

And in fact I even exchanged Raphaël's JS-2 for a unit with a 19V transformer, the slight change we had made at the time before the above circuit revision. It was enough for a while, but between the particularly power hungry 256GB SSD he has, and the upsampling load, combine with his use of OS X Yosemite (which for some reason is a measured power hog versus Mavericks--have not checked El Capitan), he apparently is still having some shut downs.

Current JS-2 units are able to deliver a continuous 7.4 amps at 12V (and 4.5A at 5V). But that is with 120V/240V AC input. In countries where the wall AC mains voltage is lower, say 230V or 220V (that's would be like getting 115V or 110V), JS-2 max 12V continuous output current is 6.5-6.0 amps. This is because under heavy load, the input to the main regulator board droops too close to about 12.5V and the regulators need something to regulate. If the JS-2 falls out of regulation, a red LED on the rear comes on, the output is reduced a little--to about 11.5V--until the load lightens. Unfortunately, some Mac minis--especially those under load are not very tolerant of voltage below about 11.6V and will turn off.

That's why we revised the design--for people in countries with lower wall voltage--and for folks that have really heavy loads. In the year since moving to 21V transformers, we have had no reports of current shortage. And of course the JS-2 can handle instantaneous loads much higher than its 7.4 amp continuous rating.

Hope that makes sense to everyone.

Best,

--Alex C.

Just to be clear for everyone, Raphaël's JS-2 was one of the very earliest we built (the 20th unit, and we have now built over 300!), and originally had an 18V transformer, whereas we have been creeping up to a 21V transformer (and a new "no load" load circuit allowed us to do that so under no load the voltage to the main board would not shorten the life of the big filter caps).

And in fact I even exchanged Raphaël's JS-2 for a unit with a 19V transformer, the slight change we had made at the time before the above circuit revision. It was enough for a while, but between the particularly power hungry 256GB SSD he has, and the upsampling load, combine with his use of OS X Yosemite (which for some reason is a measured power hog versus Mavericks--have not checked El Capitan), he apparently is still having some shut downs.

Current JS-2 units are able to deliver a continuous 7.4 amps at 12V (and 4.5A at 5V). But that is with 120V/240V AC input. In countries where the wall AC mains voltage is lower, say 230V or 220V (that's would be like getting 115V or 110V), JS-2 max 12V continuous output current is 6.5-6.0 amps. This is because under heavy load, the input to the main regulator board droops too close to about 12.5V and the regulators need something to regulate. If the JS-2 falls out of regulation, a red LED on the rear comes on, the output is reduced a little--to about 11.5V--until the load lightens. Unfortunately, some Mac minis--especially those under load are not very tolerant of voltage below about 11.6V and will turn off.

That's why we revised the design--for people in countries with lower wall voltage--and for folks that have really heavy loads. In the year since moving to 21V transformers, we have had no reports of current shortage. And of course the JS-2 can handle instantaneous loads much higher than its 7.4 amp continuous rating.

Hope that makes sense to everyone.

Best,

--Alex C.

That is very good for me. I ordered one which is in your 17th jun lot. ^^

I have no problem with my 2012/13 Mac Mini with a MMK and being powered by a JS-2, up-sampling all rates to DSD256 with HQ Player. And that is while the JS-2 was powering a Regen at the same time.

Not saying you had no problem but I wounder if it was for another reason.

It is normal that you have no problems because you have a CPU of 2.3 GHz quad-core according to your signature!

I have one 2.6 GHz Quad-core...

Regards

It is normal that you have no problems because you have a CPU of 2.3 GHz quad-core according to your signature!

I have one 2.6 GHz Quad-core...

Regards

Does anyone know, each of my component require how many A for each items below

- core i7 3.6g 4790

- msi h97 e35+16g ppa ram

- PPA 64g with OCXO SSD

- PPA 257g with OCXO SSD

- SAMSUNG 256g 850pro

Thanks