IGNORED

Modern Tannoy sound

This one is a long shot, but let us give it a try.

I have a pair of Glenair 10s. I am considering Kensington GRs. Forget about an audition.

Whatever merits or deficiencies one may feel the Glenair possesses, they certainly are insightful and forward through the midrange. Yet, I often see Tannoys described as big and relaxed sounding. My question is should I consider the Glenair to be representative of the the modern Tannoy sound, and expect a similar presentation with the pepper pot enabled Kensignton? Do most models sound more alike, rather than different? They certainly load the driver rather differently in various models.

Have you read Hi-Fi World's review ? Their :

« CONCLUSION

As Tannoy continue to refine their Prestige Series loudspeakers they get ever more impressive. The new Kensington Gold Reference is a carefully balanced design suitable for medium-to-large rooms, where it will impress by dint of sheer impact. This is a loudspeaker you feel—as well as see. It is fabulously well engineered all round, with its big Dual-Concentric drive unit and lovely traditional cabinet. I did at times have the Kensingtons pumping out massive volume from our 80 Watt Quad valve amplifiers and loved every minute of it. They play from soft to Rock-Concert loud without difficulty, always sounding lively and engaging. And our new offices haven't been demolished I'm happy to say ! It's a pity the Kensingtons' price will exclude so many of us, because big loudspeakers like these are an experience worth having. I'll always love big Tannoys ; they sit in a world of their own. »

tannoy-kensington-gr-front.jpg

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »