IGNORED

Best Streamer for me around USD2,000

I am looking to upgrade from streaming my music through an Apple T.V. Currently I have a Chord 'Chordette' DAC and a Metrum Octave that I can use with a streamer, and I'll upgrade my DAC later in the year. I'd be streaming mostly from a NAS or via Tidal or Spotify.

I'd like something that is highly compatible with various musical formats/software e.g. DSD, Roon etc. So, I am guessing that contenders are the Auralic Aires, Airles- LE and upcoming Altair. Possibly one of the Lumins or the Cambridge Audio 851N.

I am particularly interested in the Altair for the built-in DAC and because, to me, it 'looks' better than the Aires (i.e. keeps my other-half happy). Clearly all will be much better than what I am currently using :)

I'd be really grateful to know what else is out there that I should consider (I have been reading a fair bit but the more I read the more confused I get e.g. trying to work out whether MQA will be advantageous or not.

Have you read Chris review of the Sonore mircroRendu, Part I? I recently went through similar debate, was lucky to get a microRendu and am very glad that I did. It gives you tons of flexibility regarding a variety of operating modes which IMHO makes it more future-proof than many other devices. It's about the size of a pack of smokes or a deck of cards, and can be attached directly to the back of whatever dac you prefer, potentially invisible in situ. Ethernet cable in, USB out to dac, your choice of power supply(a topic in itself). Sonically it is a beast.

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

Did you consider about Fanless intel NUC and Roon?

I haven't at this stage but thanks for the suggestion. I actually have an Antipodes server somewhere in the apartment. But my wife doesn't like the look of it.

I think I need something with a build in display, easy access to internet radio etc.

sbank - I had a look at the Sonore. It looks impressive.

The Aurender N100, which shows up used now and again, should be available a bit above your budget, new, and under it, used. I couldn't be happier with mine. It also requires virtually no software that you need to install anywhere in the system. A BIG plus in my book.

JC

The Aurender N100, which shows up used now and again, should be available a bit above your budget, new, and under it, used. I couldn't be happier with mine. It also requires virtually no software that you need to install anywhere in the system. A BIG plus in my book.

JC

Cheers Wisnon/TubeLove.

My budget can move a little. The Auralic dealer in HK is also an Aurender dealer. So hopefully I can arrange a back to back listen