IGNORED

If you have a NAS, beware OS X 10.11.5

Thanks for the heads up. Even prior to 10.11.5, I've noticed problems with both AFP and SMB (as well as WebDAV -- haven't checked NFS) with non-ascii multibit characters. Using FUSE with SSHFS immediately solved all of these problems. It might be worth a try.

Thanks for the tip re FUSE/SSHFS. Not using a NAS yet, but interested in one as you know; also, a NAS is of course not the only instance of mounting remote filesystems.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

True, but probably one of the more common uses here on this forum.

Yep, just noting others (like me) may be interested even if we don't use NASs at the moment.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I am totally ignorant of anything Apple (not a belief thing but rather out of laziness, all of my professional and personal environment being Windows / Android). But having used a Synology NAS with all my music on for over a year and having moved twice (!) and changed windows PC twice during this time (Win 8, Win 10), I haven't had the slightest problem using my NAS as a music server (Roon, Foobar2000).

So reading various forums (particularly CA and the Roon forum) I kind of got the feeling that Apple computers are more difficult to manage in this regards - yet everybody always advises MacMini as a good solution to get a NAS-based music system running.

Never had any problem with my Win 10 600$ Samsung laptop for what it's worth (less sexy but zero problem so far).

The problem is Apple and SMB. SMB traditionally is a windows-centric network file system, and is hideously insecure (which doesn't matter usually in a home or small office environment). Apple traditionally used APF (Apple File Protocol for this, which has its own set of problems, mostly how it integrates in a mixed environment) and most other Unix (and Linux) based systems use NFS (Network File System) which in my biased opinion is the best option, but it is harder to configure and places a lot of restrictions on UID numbers, etc. Apple uses SMB now too, and takes security perhaps a bit too seriously for a home environment. Apple also seems to be using SMB now in preference to AFP for some of its own Apple-to-Apple stuff (perhaps the file transfer they recently implemented in Screen Sharing suffers from this?).

So, the short answer, is it works better in a Windows environment because it is a Windows-based protocol, and the security is more lax by default.

I guess most people use SMB on their NAS. Maybe Synology defaults to that. My freeNAS allows for NFS, AFP, SMB and a few other protocols I haven't heard of. The one I find to be the most stable and easy to use with my NAS is AFP, fwiw.

I'm also now using SSHFS/FUSE and would recommend that to anyone experiencing any remote mounting issues. If you can ssh into your NAS, this will work.

So reading various forums (particularly CA and the Roon forum) I kind of got the feeling that Apple computers are more difficult to manage in this regards - yet everybody always advises MacMini as a good solution to get a NAS-based music system running.

Apple security is defaulted on, with MS its (usually) defaulted off. The fix changes Apples SMB behaviour to *not* require signing - less secure - and then it works! In windows these kind of settings are hidden in the famous registry, with OS X in configuration (.conf) files.

Thanks Bill for posting the solution.

I have trouble using my WD MyBookLive with both 10.9 and 10.11 but I think that part of the problem is the NAS itself.

SMB is unusable, FTP is passable and I have ended up using CIFS after searching for solutions on the web (since I am an absolute ignorant in these maters)...CIFS is not perfect but I can live with the ocasional drop-off until I purchase a better NAS.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Never had any problem with my Win 10 600$ Samsung laptop for what it's worth (less sexy but zero problem so far).

I upgraded my system long time ago from Synology NAS to Mac Mini with Thunderbolt 2 SSDs and never looked back.

I updated to 10.11.5 early this week and suddenly the throughput to my NAS has dropped significantly. It even results in errors trying to read or copy files. The exact same files can be read quickly with another computer running 10.11.4.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7565683?start=0&tstart=0

Just FYI.

-mike

Same happened to me using macbook pro 10.11.5 roon can t access my nas wd mybooklive, problem is smb file,

Can you edit explicitly and simply how to fix it ? Thks

Same happened to me using macbook pro 10.11.5 roon can t access my nas wd mybooklive, problem is smb file,

Can you edit explicitly and simply how to fix it ? Thks

Our host Chris already has:

Wow, this one bit me today. Tons of problems copying files to my Windows based NAS, but no problems copying to my Linux based NAS. I created the nsmb.conf in /etc and entered the following text:

[default]

client_signing=no

And everything works great now.

Hi chris, sorry but i din t understand the steps done to fix this bug, can you emphasise more thks

Sure.

At the top menu bar click Go, then Go To Folder...

go.png

Type in /etc and click Go. This will bring up the folder in which you need to place the file below.

etc.png

Download this file. The name is nsmb.conf and place it in the /etc folder you previously opened. Reboot.

Click to download - > NSMB.CONF

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Great! Thanks!

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Sure.

At the top menu bar click Go, then Go To Folder...

go.png

Type in /etc and click Go. This will bring up the folder in which you need to place the file below.

etc.png

Download this file. The name is nsmb.conf and place it in the /etc folder you previously opened. Reboot.

Click to download - > NSMB.CONF

Thks chris for the reply, but when i downloaded nsmb. Conf when i click on it it says : there is no app set to open the document 'nsmb.conf'?????

Sorry but i m ignorent in these things

Thks chris for the reply, but when i downloaded nsmb. Conf when i click on it it says : there is no app set to open the document 'nsmb.conf'?????

Sorry but i m ignorent in these things

I finally managed to drag nsmb. Conf into / etc file rebooted and nothing! When i choose the nas path it is showing afp// what i did wrong????