IGNORED

Question about HQplayer processor usage

squirrelman

I am using HQplayer with Roon to upconvert all PCM to DSD128 for my Lampizator Euforia and I'm loving the setup, so far it just sounds better every day. I do want to upgrade my computer that I'm running HQplayer and Roon on though, so I'm planning a new build.

Now that that it matters since my i3 4160 seems to handle it just fine about 97% of the time (every once in a while I'll get a small quick stutter) I was wondering does HQplayer respond better to single core speed or multiple cores? I.e. how well does it handle multi-threading? I'm going back and forth between a 5820k(or Xeon server pull with even more physical cores) and a 6700k.

Thanks all.

I would suggest getting at least a quad core processor to take advantage of the HQP Pipeline feature.

Eric

Ubuntu Studio Linux box (i7-9700, 8 cores, 16GB RAM, Intel X520-DA1 NIC, HQP Desktop) > fiber optic > MikroTik CRS305-1G-4S+ > fiber optic > fitlet2 (Linux Mint - HQP NAA) > T+A DAC8 DSD > Rogue Audio DragoN > Klipsch La Scala — digital volume control with HQP via Roon client, DSP with HQP convolution engine, Intel NUC (Roon server)

I would suggest that you look in the other threads that are already deep into this topic. There's a lot discussion on the main HQPlayer thread and a Build a PC/Server for ROON and HQPlayer. Sorry no links, I'm on an iPad. Those threads are almost always in the Current Activity and are easy to search.