This may explain why the N-05 using the AK 4490 chip sounds better than the K-01 which uses the 4399 chip.

https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2014/12/07/akm-verita-4490-dac/

Hi j0202

Very happy to meet you again in the forum. I know you are a big fan of ESOTERIC N-05, but what are your impressions about the comment by MetalNuts

Esoteric source components have been neutral and so does N-05 and one should not expect N-05 to make every album good and enjoyable!

I am now still wavering between Esoteric K-05X and N-05 . Do you think the quality of computer audio will be the same on either K-05X or N-05?

Best Regards

I am now still wavering between Esoteric K-05X and N-05

Although I don't have access to a K-05X, from the pictures I can find, the internals (aside from the CD transport vs Network transport) look really similar to N-05, if not identical. They are priced similarly as well.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Hi j0202

Very happy to meet you again in the forum. I know you are a big fan of ESOTERIC N-05, but what are your impressions about the comment by MetalNuts

Esoteric source components have been neutral and so does N-05 and one should not expect N-05 to make every album good and enjoyable!

I am now still wavering between Esoteric K-05X and N-05 . Do you think the quality of computer audio will be the same on either K-05X or N-05?

Best Regards

Hi ABCaudio,

Good to see you here too.

I would agree with Metalnuts' comment. That said, the N-05 is more detailed, yet warmer and much more musical than the K-01.

As to the SQ difference between the K-05X and N-05, I am not at liberty to comment as I have not A/B'ed them side by side.

I am actually surprised that they are both priced similarly.

Comparing the "Features" section of both from the Esoteric website :-

ESOTERIC Super Audio CD/CD Player K-05X | ESOTERIC COMPANY

ESOTERIC Network Audio Player N-05 | ESOTERIC COMPANY

there is one feature of the N-05 not found in the K-05X, that may make all the difference in SQ and that is the complete noise isolation para with the block diagram at the bottom of the page.

Considering your large hires library, the N-05 would be the more sensible choice than the cd player.

With the ethernet input which the K-05X does not have, you can flip through all your music with an ipad app. And ripped redbook files sound fabulous too.

Best rgds and happy hunting!

J.

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

Industry Affiliation : None

Hi Jon0202 and Wklie

Thanks so much for your notes. My collection consists of both CDs (10%) and hi-rez audio files (90%). I prefer to play music from laptop than from network. Therefore, N-05 as a streamer is not very important to me. I sometimes audition music via CDs, too. I still keep a fond feelings of CD music (!), although I usually audition computer audio.

What I expect from N-05 is its function as DAC, which makes it superior to even K-01!

I suppose the similarity/difference between Esoteric K-05 and N-05X has the same feature as the similarity/difference between Marantz SA8005 and NA8005, in which a CD/SACD transport is swapped by an Ethernet jack.

Both Marantz NAP NA8005 and CDP SA8005 use the same chip, but computer audio played on Marantz NA8005 sounds better than on CDP SA8005. It's my own experience. I wonder whether computer audio played on N-05 sounds better than on K-05X or not. If it does, I will use my old CDP Marantz SA8005 as transport and N-05 as an external DAC for CDs , and use N-05 as a "pure DAC" for computer audio! If not, K-05X will be my best choice! Is it right?

Rgrds

Hi Jon0202 and Wklie

Thanks so much for your notes. My collection consists of both CDs (10%) and hi-rez audio files (90%). I prefer to play music from laptop than from network. Therefore, N-05 as a streamer is not very important to me. I sometimes audition music via CDs, too. I still keep a fond feelings of CD music (!), although I usually audition computer audio.

What I expect from N-05 is its function as DAC, which makes it superior to even K-01!

I suppose the similarity/difference between Esoteric K-05 and N-05X has the same feature as the similarity/difference between Marantz SA8005 and NA8005, in which a CD/SACD transport is swapped by an Ethernet jack.

Both Marantz NAP NA8005 and CDP SA8005 use the same chip, but computer audio played on Marantz NA8005 sounds better than on CDP SA8005. It's my own experience. I wonder whether computer audio played on N-05 sounds better than on K-05X or not. If it does, I will use my old CDP Marantz SA8005 as transport and N-05 as an external DAC for CDs , and use N-05 as a "pure DAC" for computer audio! If not, K-05X will be my best choice! Is it right?

Rgrds

I thought you are using ethernet for your hires.

If you are playing from your laptop via usb, which is what I am doing now, the N-05's usb connection won't disappoint.

I used to have the Marantz NA8005 and if you liked it as a usb-dac for hires, the N-05 is a massive upgrade over the NA8005.

The SA8005 would probably do well as a cd transport but going by my experience with the K-01 which has a better transport than the SA8005 and the K-03X/K-05X, you will find ripped redbook files to sound better via the N-05 than spinning discs in the SA8005.

Ripping your cd's which are just 10% of your collection, may not take too long.

You will be a happy camper as I, playing both redbook and hires via the N-05.

I can only suspect that the N-05 will be better than the K-05X for computer audio from its complete noise isolation between the digital and analog sections, which could not be implemented in the K-05X due to the space constraints of having the transport in place.

Rgds. J.

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

Although I don't have access to a K-05X, from the pictures I can find, the internals (aside from the CD transport vs Network transport) look really similar to N-05, if not identical. They are priced similarly as well.

One more difference:

K-05X comes with a remote control

N-05 does not come with a remote control because its network player is meant to be used with an iPad or iPhone

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

A certain audio file ( flac, wav, dsd ect. ) played on both K-05X and N-05 via laptop/PC, could you please tell me which gear will give better sound? The gear which gives better sound will be my favourite. Please share me your experience. Tks

Sorry to jump in but logical or not for your question?

Esoteric is not crazy to release a product that kill their another product in the same range.

K05x is a spinning machine, the USB DAC in K05x is just an extra function that many CDP manufacturers currently add in. Of course, the DAC section can not reproduce a better sound than CD section.

Obviously, N05 aims to computer audio and playing hirez files from computer/NAS should be an advantage over the K05x.

Cheers,

KienDo

Of course, the DAC section can not reproduce a better sound than CD section.
Do you actually mean this? So are you implying it's also best not to use the K-05X with its own DAC & just use it as CD transport with an external DAC?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Do you actually mean this? So are you implying it's also best not to use the K-05X with its own DAC & just use it as CD transport with an external DAC?

No, I meant playing CD in K05X sounds always better than feeding its USB DAC by computer source. I have tried K05, Wadia 361i, Audio Aero,all the same result.

Ok so it's the K05X's USB Audio interface to its DAC section, via the USB DAC input, that you are saying is inferior to the K05X's internal (I2S, presumably) interface from its CD section to its DAC section.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Ok so it's the K05X's USB Audio interface to its DAC section, via the USB DAC input, that you are saying is inferior to the K05X's internal (I2S, presumably) interface from its CD section to its DAC section.

It makes sense and I seen it happen frequently. I always assumed that some manufacturers have used USB interface as nice-to-haves and was not their primary core competency.

If I recall correctly, when Chris reviewed a Esoteric dac some time ago, he was not found of the usb implementation.

Would be interesting to be if Chris could revisit the Esoteric brand with this interesting machine.

Indeed. Similarly, it would make sense if the N-05's own internal I2S interface between its audio file player section and its DAC section is superior to its USB DAC input.

-- Jo Cox

I have tried USB input with my DAC/Streamer and the most recent one was with Meitner MA-1 but IMHO the SQ was not satisfactory at all compared to coaxial or ethernet.

I have not tried USB on N-05 and I cannot confirm whether it is good or not, even if it is as good as the ethernet, I would prefer the convenience of using ethernet to connect it via router/switch to my music library in NAS.

MetalNuts

• 1 month later...

Esoteric N-05 Network Audio Player | The Absolute Sound

Jon

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Looking at the no5 and a number of other dac/streamers. 

Anyone still using the no5? 

This review has made me a little worried. He prefers a ps audio dsd which is the benchmark I am trying to beat. 

Peach Audio Iso Transformer, Linn Akurate DSM, McIntosh MA2275 

Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra x2, Dynaudio BM5A MKII

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Just to share that Esoteric released a firmware update recently which I just installed yesterday. Before the download, I read the update notes on the website that says the update improves sonic performance.

In terns of SQ, the update certainly does what it says :-

1. More fluid, liquid presentation

2. Soundstage widens and deepens significantly

3. More detail

4. Better bass - well delineated with no overhang

5. Greater separation of instruments with more air around them

6. Airier and silkier highs

7. More palpable midrange

Simply wonderful! :)

Jon

On 11/7/2018 at 11:17 PM, jon2020 said:

Hi all,

Just to share that Esoteric released a firmware update recently which I just installed yesterday. Before the download, I read the update notes on the website that says the update improves sonic performance.

In terns of SQ, the update certainly does what it says :-

1. More fluid, liquid presentation

2. Soundstage widens and deepens significantly

3. More detail

4. Better bass - well delineated with no overhang

5. Greater separation of instruments with more air around them

6. Airier and silkier highs

7. More palpable midrange

Simply wonderful! :)

Did you notice all the above? 

Peach Audio Iso Transformer, Linn Akurate DSM, McIntosh MA2275 

Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra x2, Dynaudio BM5A MKII

12 minutes ago, bunno77 said:

Did you notice all the above? 

Yes, I was describing all of the above as I heard them after the update.  :)

Jon