IGNORED

Sonore Signature Series Rendu - SPDIF/i2s

Hello all,

I am seriously considering adding an SSR to my system to replace an extremely troublesome PS Audio BridgeII in my DirectStream DAC.

Does anyone have this combination running?

I2S or USB?

I have noticed the new products from Sonore are supporting Roon but can not find that support mentioned for the SSR.

When is Roon support coming for the SSR?

Chip

Hello all,

I am seriously considering adding an SSR to my system to replace an extremely troublesome PS Audio BridgeII in my DirectStream DAC.

I2S or USB?

I have noticed the new products from Sonore are supporting Roon but can not find that support mentioned for the SSR.

Chip

What is SSR? Sorry, too many abreviations in this world.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Hello all,

I2S or USB?

Chip

Roon currently does not support DLNA streaming.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I have the SSR into my DS via I2S.

The SSR does not do USB, that I believe is the MicroRendu.

• HQPE 1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM
  • Streaming Qobuz or playing files from external SSD
  • Surface Go 3 i3 Tablet with HQPlayer Client
  • ISP Cable Modem -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule 
  • Sonore opticalModule  -> 20m Fiber -> Sonore opticalModule -> Ethernet -> Managed Switch
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule Deluxe -> 5m Fiber -> Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical ( HQPlayer NAA )
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet ->Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i9 Optical ( HQPlayer Embedded )
  • Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical -> USB -> Holo Audio KTE May
  • Holo Audio KTE May -> XLR -> Goldpoint SA1X/47 -> XLR to Decware ZBIT -> RCA to Decware ZSTAGE25 -> RCA to Decware SE84UFO25 -> Avantgarde Duo Omega Horns with Townshend Audio Ribbon Super Tweeters
  • Decware SE84UFO25 -> Speaker Level to Jensen IsoMax Balanced Converter -> XLR Rives PARC -> XLR Avantgarde SUB225s
  • 1 month later...
My mistake.

I should have asked; I2S or SPDIF?

From what I can find it seems the I2S is the preferred output for the DS.

Hi, did you ever take the plunge on an SSR for your DS? If so, how do you like it? I have a DS and am trying to decide whether to add an SSR, a microRendu, an AURALiC Aries (Femto/Extreme) or a Bridge II. (I am leaning toward the Aries primarily because there is no pure Ethernet connection in my listening room.)

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk. 1 --> USB --> Matrix X-SPDIF 2 --> I2S --> PS Audio DirectStream Sr. DAC --> XLR --> Mark Levinson No. 326S --> RCA --> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) --> RCA --> Bryston 4B3 (Cubed) --> Magnepan .7

Hi, yes I did. I received the SSR yesterday so I do not have much to say yet.

Setup was nothing but plug it in and it worked without any issues.

I do have Ethernet in my listening room so it was quick and easy.

Plug in the Ethernet, I2s, and power and it was recognized by Bubble UPnP and immediately I was able to play files from MinimServer.

I am replacing the Bridge II in my DS DAC. I experienced too many problems with the BII stopping during playback that usually required resetting the BII to get it to work again.

I have not experienced any problems so far with the SSR.

I do not have any experience with the Aries or microRendu so I can not make any comparison with them.

After two evenings I can say I feel very pleased with results.

If you can audition the SSR I think you would be pleased with the results.

Good luck in your quest,

Chip

Hi Chip, thanks for the reply and congrats on the SSR! Out of curiosity, what made you choose the SSR over the microRendu? Thanks.

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk. 1 --> USB --> Matrix X-SPDIF 2 --> I2S --> PS Audio DirectStream Sr. DAC --> XLR --> Mark Levinson No. 326S --> RCA --> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) --> RCA --> Bryston 4B3 (Cubed) --> Magnepan .7

Cool, thanks. Interesting that the SSR lacks USB and the microRendu is USB-only. It would be great if there were a comparable device with USB and I2S outputs. (Too bad the Aries lacks an I2S output; if it had one, it would be a no-brainer for me.)

Cool, thanks. Interesting that the SSR lacks USB and the microRendu is USB-only. It would be great if there were a comparable device with USB and I2S outputs. (Too bad the Aries lacks an I2S output; if it had one, it would be a no-brainer for me.)

Our approach is to do one thing as best as we can. Adding i2s to the microRendu would have added a bunch of unwanted circuits to the design that only a few people would have utilized.

Thanks, Jesus, understood and makes total sense. So, for someone with a PS Audio DirectStream DAC with I2S inputs, which is preferable from a sound quality perspective: the microRendu or the SSR? Thanks.

Thanks, Jesus, understood and makes total sense. So, for someone with a PS Audio DirectStream DAC with I2S inputs, which is preferable from a sound quality perspective: the microRendu or the SSR? Thanks.

That is not necessarily true, the microRendu makes the USB inputs on many DACs sound much better, so you really need a comparison that actually uses both the SSR and microRendu, not the SSR VS some other USB source.

John S.

Hi John and thanks for the reply. My post #13 was in the form of a question that perhaps was not clear so I will re-phrase:

Which Sonore product would yield better sound quality going into a PS Audio DirectStream DAC: The microRendu going into the DS's USB input, or the Sonore Signature Series Rendu going into one of the DS's I2S inputs? Thanks!

Our approach is to do one thing as best as we can. Adding i2s to the microRendu would have added a bunch of unwanted circuits to the design that only a few people would have utilized.

This approach is very good. But for me the best thing would be to have a microRendu-board with I2S only output, a board to put INSIDE a DAC as a replacement for an USB board like Amanero. So an USB-DAC could be converted to an Ethernet-DAC. This would be a most desirable product, a Killer product, which would IMO sell like sliced bread.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

Hi John and thanks for the reply. My post #13 was in the form of a question that perhaps was not clear so I will re-phrase:

Which Sonore product would yield better sound quality going into a PS Audio DirectStream DAC: The microRendu going into the DS's USB input, or the Sonore Signauture Series Rendu going into one of the DS's I2S inputs? Thanks!

According to PS Audio both inputs should sound the same:) It's hard for me to say which one you will like. You probably already have a preference and that is what you should look into. I have customers on both sides of the fence and they are split on this. You should also consider the features each one supports when deciding.

This approach is very good. But for me the best thing would be to have a microRendu-board with I2S only output, a board to put INSIDE a DAC as a replacement for an USB board like Amanero. So an USB-DAC could be converted to an Ethernet-DAC. This would be a most desirable product, a Killer product, which would IMO sell like sliced bread.

Matt

Do you really want to put a computer inside your DAC? That module is not that popular and I would not want to get into the DAC modification business. It's just not worth it. A better approach could be to put a better USB to i2s module in the DAC.

According to PS Audio both inputs should sound the same:) It's hard for me to say which one you will like. You probably already have a preference and that is what you should look into. I have customers on both sides of the fence and they are split on this. You should also consider the features each one supports when deciding.

For DSD input shouldn't the final result be the same ? (after the outer DoP package is stripped away into plain DSD in the USB case).

Let every eye ear negotiate for itself and trust no agent. (Shakespeare)

The things that we love tell us what we are. (Aquinas)

For DSD input shouldn't the final result be the same ? (after the outer DoP package is stripped away into plain DSD in the USB case).

For starters the SSR can send native DSD to the DS and the microRendu will send DSD/DoP to the DS. There are different signal paths and different processing going on depending on the source. I'll leave it up to you to decide if it matters...

For starters the SSR can send native DSD to the DS and the microRendu will send DSD/DoP to the DS. There are different signal paths and different processing going on depending on the source. I'll leave it up to you to decide if it matters...

Thanks Jesus -- actually the SSR is on my "seriously consider" list. BTW Really appreciate your efforts working with the PS Audio folks on the I2S. Makes the DS and the SSR a great match.

Let every eye ear negotiate for itself and trust no agent. (Shakespeare)

The things that we love tell us what we are. (Aquinas)

Hi Jesus. Not having heard the SSR or the mR, I do not have a preference other than that I hope the mR would sound better because it is quite a bit less expensive! Also, if I were to ever replace the DS DAC, I think the USB output on the mR would be more 'portable' than the I2S output on the SSR. I will continue to subscribe to this thread and hope someone who has heard both Sonores on the DS weighs in. Thanks.

Hi Jesus. Not having heard the SSR or the mR, I do not have a preference other than that I hope the mR would sound better because it is quite a bit less expensive! Also, if I were to ever replace the DS DAC, I think the USB output on the mR would be more 'portable' than the I2S output on the SSR. I will continue to subscribe to this thread and hope someone who has heard both Sonores on the DS weighs in. Thanks.

Try the microRendu...I think you will like it.

• 7 months later...

So I had finally gotten everything setup to use Lumin on my Android tablet to control music playback from my Synology NAS to the SSR. It worked for one day and I've been trying to figure out ever since how to get it to work again. Lumin definitely sees the miminServer on the NAS and shows my music. It lets me choose the SSR OH as the Lumin device, but it won't play anything and my AVP shows no signal from the SSR.

So I opened up BubbleUPnP and under media renderers, there is no SSR, only my ShieldTV and some other devices like my laptop. I turned the SSR off and on again, rebooted the Bubble server, still nothing. When I type the IP address into a browser, I can bring up the renderer page, but bubble doesn't see it. Any suggestions?

Ok, I am not sure what exactly happened but I eventually got it to work. I shut it down and restarted, then went back into my router's system and updated the port for port forwarding and that seemed to work. Wished these things were so darn confusing