IGNORED

Sonore Signature Series Rendu - SPDIF/i2s

Here you go ....................IMG_2127.thumb.jpg.8dec917f9c51b8684ace56e0607b9db8.jpg

Note there is a hole without an HDMI socket, labelled 'i2s option'

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

• 1 year later...

Quick question for the experts:

I am currently using a SGC Sonictransporter i5 to stream Roon to to Sonore mRendu. I am putting a second system together and have the opportunity to buy a used Sonore Signature Rendu (not the SE - unit is circa 2013 approx). Will that unit render Roon from the i5? If not, can the firmware be updated so it can? I'm trying to keep costs down since this system will not be the main rig.

Thanks for any help on this...

58 minutes ago, dmagnus1 said:

I am currently using a SGC Sonictransporter i5 to stream Roon to to Sonore mRendu. I am putting a second system together and have the opportunity to buy a used Sonore Signature Rendu (not the SE - unit is circa 2013 approx). Will that unit render Roon from the i5? If not, can the firmware be updated so it can? I'm trying to keep costs down since this system will not be the main rig.

I think you are referring to the early Signature Rendu, with the SPDIF (BNC) and I2S outputs, right?  If so, I am sorry, but that unit is not compatible with Roon's RAAT Ethernet protocol.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

3 hours ago, dmagnus1 said:

Does the second system have SPDIF or i2s? What about USB input?

34 minutes ago, dmagnus1 said:

I would be feeding a Naim Dac with SPDIF inputs only No USB. Barrows described it correctly...

Okay. However, have a look here for a possible alternative solution:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/29745-sonicorbiter-sonoreupnp-bridge/

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

Okay. However, have a look here for a possible alternative solution:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/29745-sonicorbiter-sonoreupnp-bridge/

A Naim DAC is not a Network player, like the NDS, NDX, ND5XS, that will work with the SonoreUPnP Bridge.

This unit needs a S/PDIF input.34AA616B-0A08-44F4-9E81-9B3952C9A442.jpeg

So could work with UltraRendu and UltraDigital as one, with a USB lead between, plus power supplies.

However the original Sonore Signature could provide Ethernet in, S/PDIF out.

F53E60EE-F0EA-42A9-9957-DD53E7B07C47.thumb.jpeg.ec85c221b7cf3d0e3833599ed7ba069f.jpegCan the SonoreUPnP Bridge then provide a Roon Endpoint for the Sonore Signature.

Could this run on the OS in the Sonore Signature or would it need the dedicated hardware SGC provides?

Could be a very sweet system, if so, as the Naim DAC is the same DAC technology as the NDS and ND555, reference players and can take a reference power supply. The Sonore Signature was a reference Render, if can be made to operate as a Roon Endpoint it would be ideal.

7 hours ago, simon_pepper said:

A Naim DAC is not a Network player, like the NDS, NDX, ND5XS, that will work with the SonoreUPnP Bridge.

This unit needs a S/PDIF input.34AA616B-0A08-44F4-9E81-9B3952C9A442.jpeg

So could work with UltraRendu and UltraDigital as one, with a USB lead between, plus power supplies.

However the original Sonore Signature could provide Ethernet in, S/PDIF out.

F53E60EE-F0EA-42A9-9957-DD53E7B07C47.thumb.jpeg.ec85c221b7cf3d0e3833599ed7ba069f.jpegCan the SonoreUPnP Bridge then provide a Roon Endpoint for the Sonore Signature.

Could this run on the OS in the Sonore Signature or would it need the dedicated hardware SGC provides?

Could be a very sweet system, if so, as the Naim DAC is the same DAC technology as the NDS and ND555, reference players and can take a reference power supply. The Sonore Signature was a reference Render, if can be made to operate as a Roon Endpoint it would be ideal.

Appreciate the clarification on the Naim product.

An ulraRendu/ultraDigital combo could work but the cost with the power supplies could be an issue. 

The SonoreUPnP Bridge app was developed specifically to add Roon support to the original Rendu series with SPDIF and SPDIF/i2s output. The unit he is looking at (Sonore Rendu) is an early version of this Sonore Signature Series Rendu. The early Rendu units were wonderful DLNA endpoints and some were upgraded with femto oscillators that we had sorted by phase noise. The Signature Series Rendu all have femto oscillators on the output board. 

24 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

The SonoreUPnP Bridge app was developed specifically to add Roon support to the original Rendu series with SPDIF and SPDIF/i2s output. The unit he is looking at (Sonore Rendu) is an early version of this Sonore Signature Series Rendu. The early Rendu units were wonderful DLNA endpoints and some were upgraded with femto oscillators that we had sorted by phase noise. The Signature Series Rendu all have femto oscillators on the output board. 

So the SonoreUPnP Bridge could work without any further hardware units.

i imagine that would be a sweet 2-box, and an even better 3-box setup (additional XPS, XPS-DR, 555 or 555DR PSU for the Naim DAC to make it sing)

8 minutes ago, simon_pepper said:

So the SonoreUPnP Bridge could work without any further hardware units.

i imagine that would be a sweet 2-box, and an even better 3-box setup (additional XPS, XPS-DR, 555 or 555DR PSU for the Naim DAC to make it sing)

No. He would use his existing microRendu to run the SonoreUPnP Bridge app. 

21 hours ago, dmagnus1 said:

Just looked back at the original post, and the OP is using a SGC Sonictransporter i5 for his Roon Core, he can run the SonoreUPnP Bridge on that, and stream a UPnP feed to the Sonore Signature Rendu of the 2nd system.

May find that this 2nd system may sound better that the one with the microRendu.

6 minutes ago, simon_pepper said:

Just looked back at the original post, and the OP is using a SGC Sonictransporter i5 for his Roon Core, he can run the SonoreUPnP Bridge on that, and stream a UPnP feed to the Sonore Signature Rendu of the 2nd system.

May find that this 2nd system may sound better that the one with the microRendu.

That is a good point.