IGNORED

Sonore Signature Series Rendu - SPDIF/i2s

10 hours ago, firedog said:

No one was trying to tell you what you can or can't comment on. Comment on whatever you want and however you want. But don't expect your uninformed whining (about an issue which Jesus already explained clearly) - why the mRendu is only USB - to be free from any response. Sounds like you can't take any disagreement or criticism and are the one interested in censorship. 

You have

removed Sonore products from your possible solutions b/c of me?

1) That's silly and childish on it's own, but especially so b/c I'm not connected with Sonore; 2)Bullshi*t. Get real - you've already made it clear that you aren't interested in the USB interface - so you weren't going to buy their products anyway. Don't bring me into the picture. 

The other stuff you wrote is unsubstantiated audiophile nonsense. "Fairly well accepted" - by whom? Have you done scientific polling of knowledgeable users/listeners/manufacturers? 

"Most DACs" - a meaningless generalization. Which ones? DACs from 10 years ago? 5 years ago? DACs that don't have USB and only accept input up to 24/96? DACs that have old, outmoded USB interfaces that are no longer in production? DACs that don't accept DSD input because they aren't USB?  Or newer DACs specifically designed to sound good with USB? How about all the "only USB" DACs that now exist? Do they also sound better with other interfaces-the one's they don't have? 

I missed that message! Anyway, I have not removed anything from our website.  

16 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

Oh, I am sorry. I didn't know you were put here to tell me what I can and cannot suggest or comment on.

It's fairly well accepted that the USB interface is the worst interface on most DACs. The only way you would not know that is if you are living under a rock somewhere. So using some other interface, such as AES/EBU, would certainly be an improvement.

Please let vortecjr that, thanks to you, I have officially removed all Sonore products from my list of possible solutions.

Adios! 

I didn't ask anyone to tell you anything. You are entitled to your opinion, but you shouldn't represent it as a fact or people will call you out on it. The only solution I have for you is good USB to digital converter.  

28 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

I didn't ask anyone to tell you anything. You are entitled to your opinion, but you shouldn't represent it as a fact or people will call you out on it. The only solution I have for you is good USB to digital converter.  

This will be my last post in the Sonore section of these forums. I suspect that will make you happy.

I can't believe that you too would dispute that USB interface is the worst interface on most DACs. This is based on the fact that in most DACs, converting the USB to the data the DAC will use internally takes extra steps compared to S/PDIF, AES/EBU, and I2S. Not to mention all the extra crap USB usually injects into the DACs USB input. But hey, ya'll can put your heads in the sand if that is what you need to do...

If you looked at my signature you would see that I already have a USB to S/PDIF DDC. To get the best sound, my goal is to eliminate USB entirely. I am looking for a Roon endpoint that takes Ethernet in and has AES/EBU out. Then I will not need a $245 DDC, and a $655 decrapifier setup (total: $900) on top of the Roon endpoint cost to get the best sound. 

41 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

This will be my last post in the Sonore section of these forums. I suspect that will make you happy.

I can't believe that you too would dispute that USB interface is the worst interface on most DACs. This is based on the fact that in most DACs, converting the USB to the data the DAC will use internally takes extra steps compared to S/PDIF, AES/EBU, and I2S. Not to mention all the extra crap USB usually injects into the DACs USB input. But hey, ya'll can put your heads in the sand if that is what you need to do...

If you looked at my signature you would see that I already have a USB to S/PDIF DDC. To get the best sound, my goal is to eliminate USB entirely. I am looking for a Roon endpoint that takes Ethernet in and has AES/EBU out. Then I will not need a $245 DDC, and a $655 decrapifier setup (total: $900) on top of the Roon endpoint cost to get the best sound. 

I don't get any pleasure from it. Steps are steps are steps. Of course you are using a USB to SPDIF converter. I didn't have to look at your signature to know that. Fair warning some Ethernet to digital converters are using....USB internally to generate their digital outputs. 

• 2 months later...

Can someone tell me if sonore signature universal and can work in 110v and 220v? Can i use US version in Europe?!

dCS Network Bridge | Audio Note DAC2 Signature | Audio Note M5 Preamp | Audio Note Empress Silver Monoblocks | Audio Note AN-E/Spe HE Speakers

• 6 months later...
58 minutes ago, chsas75 said:

Ive read full topic, but no answer for first post: will Signature Rendu work with Roon or not? :)

Please have a look at this topic https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/29745-sonicorbiter-sonoreupnp-bridge-beta/

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

12 minutes ago, JoshK said:

The newer USB SSR II will work with Roon.

Never heard of an SSR II.  Are you talking about the Signature Rendu SE or some unannounced product?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

• 3 weeks later...

I see that there is a new SonicTransporter i7 at SGC that will support Roon DSP.

Does this device work as a workaround to use the SSR with Roon?

If it does, are there any other apps or software required? ( Sonore Bridge? )

• HQPE 1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM
  • Streaming Qobuz or playing files from external SSD
  • Surface Go 3 i3 Tablet with HQPlayer Client
  • ISP Cable Modem -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule 
  • Sonore opticalModule  -> 20m Fiber -> Sonore opticalModule -> Ethernet -> Managed Switch
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule Deluxe -> 5m Fiber -> Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical ( HQPlayer NAA )
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet ->Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i9 Optical ( HQPlayer Embedded )
  • Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical -> USB -> Holo Audio KTE May
  • Holo Audio KTE May -> XLR -> Goldpoint SA1X/47 -> XLR to Decware ZBIT -> RCA to Decware ZSTAGE25 -> RCA to Decware SE84UFO25 -> Avantgarde Duo Omega Horns with Townshend Audio Ribbon Super Tweeters
  • Decware SE84UFO25 -> Speaker Level to Jensen IsoMax Balanced Converter -> XLR Rives PARC -> XLR Avantgarde SUB225s
On 3/16/2018 at 7:38 PM, MrDerrick said:

I see that there is a new SonicTransporter i7 at SGC that will support Roon DSP.

Does this device work as a workaround to use the SSR with Roon?

If it does, are there any other apps or software required? ( Sonore Bridge? )

The SonoreUPnP Bridge is included in the SonicTransporter series. 

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well that is a comforting quote, I just ordered the STi5 Black Friday special to go with my SSR.

• HQPE 1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM
  • Streaming Qobuz or playing files from external SSD
  • Surface Go 3 i3 Tablet with HQPlayer Client
  • ISP Cable Modem -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule 
  • Sonore opticalModule  -> 20m Fiber -> Sonore opticalModule -> Ethernet -> Managed Switch
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule Deluxe -> 5m Fiber -> Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical ( HQPlayer NAA )
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet ->Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i9 Optical ( HQPlayer Embedded )
  • Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical -> USB -> Holo Audio KTE May
  • Holo Audio KTE May -> XLR -> Goldpoint SA1X/47 -> XLR to Decware ZBIT -> RCA to Decware ZSTAGE25 -> RCA to Decware SE84UFO25 -> Avantgarde Duo Omega Horns with Townshend Audio Ribbon Super Tweeters
  • Decware SE84UFO25 -> Speaker Level to Jensen IsoMax Balanced Converter -> XLR Rives PARC -> XLR Avantgarde SUB225s

I have an UltraRendu but what I want is the exact samw product with I2S output.  Is this doable?  It should be.  I’ll buy one if you make them and use my current UltraRendu for downstairs.

i don’t want a use one of these though, I want it Roon ready and HQPlayer NAA.

On 11/23/2018 at 6:57 PM, vortecjr said:

The comment above is unfortunately for a discontinued Sonore product. These units were Ethernet input and SPDIF / LVDS i2s output. They work with DLNA / UPnP controllers and servers such as A+ and JRiver. Roon is supported indirectly with an application available on a microRendu or SonicTransporter which needs to run concurrently on the network. These units are still highly sought after and very good, but they took a back seat during the rise of USB. From time to time I get the idea to make more of these because I really like them and we still have parts. If there is interest I can working on making a fresh batch?

I am very interested in this possibility.

I bought the basic Rendu in 2014 (Model SR-SPDIF-230, Serial No.108) to use with a Bel Canto DAC. I used this in my main system until 2016 when I replaced the DAC with a PS Audio DirectStream DAC fitted with the Bridge II ethernet card. I currently use the Rendu in my second system. PS Audio have plans to replace their ethernet card with an improved SQ version, but this seems unlikely to materialise until after they release their server (in 2020??). While I'm full of praise for their hardware design and implementation, I suspect they may have underestimated the development time for the associated server software (cf Naim & Linn 5-10 year timescale to reach maturity). Hence I'm looking elsewhere for improved SQ via rendering, specifically ethernet-to-I2S (PS Audio standard).

If you are considering making some more SSRs I wonder whether it would be feasible to upgrade my Rendu to a similar level? My Rendu does not have an I2S output so that would be the first priority. Is it feasible to upgrade the other components?

My approach has always been to have the simplest (bespoke) system to play music. I find it difficult to understand why folk prefer computer+hard disks+USB+assorted gizmos to NAS+renderer. OK the former allows access to Roon goodies, surfing etc etc.but while the information is extensive and generally of high quality, I'm sure I'd find it a distraction from listening to the music. For 5 years now MinimServer running on the NAS processor, with BubbleUPnP acting as controller, has given me all the information I need to enjoy the music. If I wish to explore music not in my NAS library I use Spotify and then possibly buy it.

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800