IGNORED

Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter & USB DACs

6 hours ago, BilboAlaska said:

I have to say on my recent 6 weeks traveling in Thailand with the new iPad Pro and Herus Dac to headphones the music sounded very good. I would say the headphones being the weakest linc because I didn't carry big high end cans. http://www.resonessencelabs.com/shop/herus/

I gave it to my bro in law and replaced it with the DF Red.  

At the same time I realized that a portable music player would be more convenient. I am considering the Onkyo DPX1, Astel &Kern, Sony, etc. but that is another forum thread. http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=DP-X1&class=Portable&source=prodClass

I just downloaded the Onkyo HF Player app.

I appreciate the members here patience with the digitally ignorant. Thanks.

I have a Sony ZX2 and Noble K10 custom IEMs. To be honest, I tend to not carry or travel with the ZX2 anymore... With the DF Red and the K10s off of my iPhone, I am done.

IMG_8833.jpg

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I bought the USB 3 camera kit so I could use a Dragonfly Red in my car and simulaneously charge my iPhone 5 or latest generation iPod Touch.  It will not charge either device.  Anyone else ran into this problem?   I contacted Apple Support and they said it was not meant to allow charging at all.  WTF??

bmwr75 - sounds like you got someone who wasn't familiar with the product. That is its purpose - to charge via lightning while providing usb connectivity. Works fine for me, but I have a 7.

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2

3 hours ago, bmwr75 said:

I bought the USB 3 camera kit so I could use a Dragonfly Red in my car and simulaneously charge my iPhone 5 or latest generation iPod Touch.  It will not charge either device.  Anyone else ran into this problem?   I contacted Apple Support and they said it was not meant to allow charging at all.  WTF??

I can charge my iPhone 7 while playing just fine.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

4 hours ago, Donzauker said:

I charged and listened same time only once up to now with my iPhone 5s and it worked fine except a little interference (very low background noise). Have to retest...

I do not have any issues with either the USB (small, other than the clicks I used to experience with the DFR) or the USB3 (bigger, no issues with DFR). Using an iPhone 7+ with latest iOS and USB3 adapter firmware updated (the iPhone will update it for you if needed). Charges and plays perfectly fine (literally just checked as I haven't used it for a few weeks and there were two iOS updates in between).

system pics

30 minutes ago, bmwr75 said:

Wonder if my USB3 camera kit is defective because based on the above responses it should at least charge my Gen 7 iPod Touch?  It doesn't though.

Possible... What version of iOS are you running? There's a lot of handshaking in lightning devices it seems and your iOS version might just be too old. I don't know. I am using the latest software versions.

system pics

Am running 10.2.1 on both the iPhone 5S and 164GB iPod Touch.

When I got into Settings, General, About, Apple USB Camera Adapter on my iPhone, here is the information that is displayed (see attached file).  Would be interested to hear if any of this camera adapter info is different from what you are running.

iPhone 5S.jpg

During the Chat session with Apple Support, they provided me with a link to an article on the Camera Adapter.  Just got a chance to read it.  It says "The Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter has a built-in Lightning port, which you can connect to a USB power adapter. This provides power to your iOS device and connected USB device."  So, even Apple's own article says charging should work.  I'm downloading OS 10.3.1 for both my devices now, am hopeful this will solve the charging problem.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202034

FIGURED IT OUT!!

In my car, I was using an aftermarket lightning cable.  Replaced this with an Apple provided lightning cable and I an now charge through the Camera Adapter.  The charger in the car is one of those that plugs into what used to be called a cigarette lighter.

In the house, I was using an Apple lightning cable, but a USB charger cube that came with an OPPO HA2SE headphone amp/DAC.  When I switched the charger cube to an Apple model, charging is now successful through the Camera Adapter.

Good to know. It's a fussy little gadget.

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

So after updating to 10.3 and then 10.3.1, my CCK2 is now unsupported. I know I'm not the only one with this problem. The CCK3 is a bit too bulky even though I only use the DFB at home. I managed to find this cable which i'm going to try. Not sure if its USB 2 or 3 but I guess that doesn't matter in my situation.

http://www.lavricables.com/cables/reference-silver-lightning-to-audioquest-dragonfly-dac-interconnect-cable-by-lavricables/

6 hours ago, bmwr75 said:

When I got into Settings, General, About, Apple USB Camera Adapter on my iPhone, here is the information that is displayed (see attached file).  Would be interested to hear if any of this camera adapter info is different from what you are running.

iPhone 5S.jpg

My CCK2 is version A1441 which is no longer supported. The original A1440 CCK2 apparently still works. I'm on iOS 10.3.1 iPhone 5s

Interesting. Pricey! Probably USB2, since 3 is usually specified if it's 3. Let us know how it goes. I liked the simple look of the Apple CCK2 I bought - couldn't tolerate the pops & clicks in the background. I agree the CCK3 is bulky, but it has the great advantage of allowing charging the iPhone 7 while listening.

19 hours ago, Gonzbull said:

So after updating to 10.3 and then 10.3.1, my CCK2 is now unsupported. I know I'm not the only one with this problem. The CCK3 is a bit too bulky even though I only use the DFB at home. I managed to find this cable which i'm going to try. Not sure if its USB 2 or 3 but I guess that doesn't matter in my situation.

http://www.lavricables.com/cables/reference-silver-lightning-to-audioquest-dragonfly-dac-interconnect-cable-by-lavricables/

That cable looks great. But indeed it is pricey! :)

FWIW... With my iPhone 7+ (running any iOS version, but more recently 10.3.1) I get a few clicks and pops when using the Apple Lightning to USB adapter (the small one) whereas no issues with the Lightning to USB3 adapter (the big one which also allows charging at the same time). This is a known issue that -some- people seem to have, can see it on the Audioquest website.

My point is this expensive cable might have the same issue as the small Apple adapter so I will stay away unless I can return it.

system pics

Miguelito, I got constant pops and clicks on the CCK2 I bought - though it was mostly audible during softer musical passages, and so returned it and bought the CCK3. AQ describes the problem as rare, but from the number of posts I've read regarding this problem, I am suspicious that it is common perhaps to the point of being a "feature"! 

A streamlined CCK2-type design as the one Gonzbull is pursuing might be nice for errands around town where charging is not a crucial (or even possible), and mobility is key, not having to deal with the bulky, goofy-looking 3, with its now superfluous lightning connection. But a price tag over 3x the cost of the original 2 gives me pause!

On 4/8/2017 at 9:28 AM, bmwr75 said:

FIGURED IT OUT!!

In my car, I was using an aftermarket lightning cable.  Replaced this with an Apple provided lightning cable and I an now charge through the Camera Adapter.  The charger in the car is one of those that plugs into what used to be called a cigarette lighter.

In the house, I was using an Apple lightning cable, but a USB charger cube that came with an OPPO HA2SE headphone amp/DAC.  When I switched the charger cube to an Apple model, charging is now successful through the Camera Adapter.

One additional comment.....both the aftermarket lightning cable and the OPPO USB charger cube would charge my iDevices when plugged directly into them.  So, they were only a charging issue when plugged into the Apple Camera Adapter.

On 8 aprile 2017 at 3:56 PM, bmwr75 said:

iPhone 5S.jpg

Only s/n is different and it's correct.

image.png

Tested lightning / usb 3 adapter charging while listening: there's a little background noise that disappear if I take the iPhone in the hand. Electrostatic current I suppose and relative dispersion...

This is interesting: if I charge with the iPad plug adapter instead that of the iPhone no background noise is present...

• 3 weeks later...

The iPhone buttons don't work on my Sennheiser PX 100 IIi, when played through the DF Red via USB3 adaptor (works fine through the dongle plugged directly in my iPhone 7). I was curious if the USB3 update would resolve this, but no dice.

Anyone have headphones with iPhone buttons that work through the USB3? I'm wondering if this might be fixable through a future update, or if this problem is in the nature of the design.

• 7 months later...

Today experimented with an iphone 8 plus with the 'Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter' in the chain:

Iphone 8 plus ISO11+ -> CCA -> 500mA USB wall outlet (probably an SMPS) -> USB A to USB B (SAEC 90 ohm) -> Mutec MC-1.2 AES3 output -> Playback Designs MPD-3 DAC. I can't read the model number on the device at all, it's about 1pt writing, but the box advises Model A1619.

The main aim was to use a simpler approach for Internet radio and paid streaming services. The spotify (for example) integrations on Tuners and console type radios are clunky to load, are slow, searching tedious and there's dropouts. Needs to be a better way and not using iTunes. 

Using 'mytuner' Internet radio app and there are no drop outs, the program material is not arduous, the DAC reports 44.1kHz. As far as the sound quality goes it's not that bad, for streaming radio, it's better than I expected.  Compared to a Tuner of the same program material, the Apple solution is more open, the DAC is of course a lot better, so why not use it. I'm not after miracles, but can see the traditional tuner seeing the sunset and they are very few and far between these days. There are exceptions especially for FM, but with compression rearing its ugly head everywhere... we'll see how long they last.

To make this arrangement permanent, requires an iPad and extension cables, re-use a Kingrex 5V 2.5A linear supply for the lightning power,  and a stand for the iPad. Wouldn't look too out of place on top of the audio rack for a 10.5in and can be used for Jremote. Apart from the iPad, the rest of the parts are reasonably priced. I believe the iPad Pro range can deliver the power for USB3, so external DACs with high demand from the USB power should work OK. There's no drama with the MC-1.2 USB to any S/PDIF converter. 

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA