IGNORED

Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter & USB DACs

Today experimented with an iphone 8 plus with the 'Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter' in the chain:

Iphone 8 plus ISO11+ -> CCA -> 500mA USB wall outlet (probably an SMPS) -> USB A to USB B (SAEC 90 ohm) -> Mutec MC-1.2 AES3 output -> Playback Designs MPD-3 DAC. I can't read the model number on the device at all, it's about 1pt writing, but the box advises Model A1619.

The main aim was to use a simpler approach for Internet radio and paid streaming services. The spotify (for example) integrations on Tuners and console type radios are clunky to load, are slow, searching tedious and there's dropouts. Needs to be a better way and not using iTunes. 

Using 'mytuner' Internet radio app and there are no drop outs, the program material is not arduous, the DAC reports 44.1kHz. As far as the sound quality goes it's not that bad, for streaming radio, it's better than I expected.  Compared to a Tuner of the same program material, the Apple solution is more open, the DAC is of course a lot better, so why not use it. I'm not after miracles, but can see the traditional tuner seeing the sunset and they are very few and far between these days. There are exceptions especially for FM, but with compression rearing its ugly head everywhere... we'll see how long they last.

To make this arrangement permanent, requires an iPad and extension cables, re-use a Kingrex 5V 2.5A linear supply for the lightning power,  and a stand for the iPad. Wouldn't look too out of place on top of the audio rack for a 10.5in and can be used for Jremote. Apart from the iPad, the rest of the parts are reasonably priced. I believe the iPad Pro range can deliver the power for USB3, so external DACs with high demand from the USB power should work OK. There's no drama with the MC-1.2 USB to any S/PDIF converter. 

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA