IGNORED

Should I continue to stream if I purchased the music?

So I've been listening to the musical Hamilton a lot on Tidal. To support the work and the artists, I bought the CD set.

The question for most of you is this: should I (or would you) continue to listen to the music on Tidal whenever you can to continue to enhance the artist's revenue stream?

Buying the music does far more to support them I should think.
True. From all reports, artists make a mere pittance from streaming.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

I think so far, people are missing the point of my question. I already bought the music on CDs. So now I'm listening to the music off my NAS. But I could continue to listen through Tidal so that in addition to getting the revenue from my CD purchase, the artists can continue to get additional revenue from me streaming whenever I am connected to the Internet. But what I'm hearing is that streaming revenue is so low I should not even bother.

From what I've read even their cut from physical sales of CD, LP, etc. is still considerably less. It's always the record labels that rake in the $$$.

The real money for the artists comes from TV shows, commercials, endorsements, merchandise, and especially ticket sales from concerts and tours.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

From what I've read even their cut from physical sales of CD, LP, etc. is still considerably less. It's always the record labels that rake in the $$$.
I believe that their earnings from streaming is a fraction of what they earned from purchased media. Now, more than ever, they have to rely on live performances and related income sources.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

True. From all reports, artists make a mere pittance from streaming.

I hope this situation will changed in better for musicians.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

I believe that their earnings from streaming is a fraction of what they earned from purchased media. Now, more than ever, they have to rely on live performances and related income sources.

It's a bit of a repeat when we switched from vinyl to CD. Often, artist's contracts are flawed because they're only entitled to revenue streams from specific media. And there is the issue of how streaming works (more like radio) versus the sale of downloads and physical media.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Streaming $ to the artist and label.

Spotify $0.006 to $.0084 per song to the artist

Tidal $.0070 per song to the artist.

But, but the time an artist and their team break up these earned cents each month via that royalty check, one could ask, show me the money as there is little left unless the artist has streamed a song or songs millions of times. The more they stream the more they make.

The Truth Is Out There

So I've been listening to the musical Hamilton a lot on Tidal. To support the work and the artists, I bought the CD set.

The question for most of you is this: should I (or would you) continue to listen to the music on Tidal whenever you can to continue to enhance the artist's revenue stream?

I have wondered about this myself. I used to spend a lot of money buying music that I wasn't sure I liked. With TIDAL I don't have to do this anymore (mostly).

When I find something new that I really like, I would generally purchase it, especially if I can find it as a high res download or SACD (which I can rip with a PS3). This has the advantage that I then get to put it in all my mobile devices and take it to the beach house (where the internet comnection is not great).

When an artist that I follow puts out a new release, I almost always buy it as it is important in my opinion to support them in every which way.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I agree that it is important to buy albums of artists you like. I also agree that it is a good idea to write reviews to encourage other people to buy stuff, I even have a blog for that.

I also go to concerts as much as I can as this is another major revenue stream for artists.

However I'm also intrigued by the OPs initial question.

An album I've bought I can either play from my hard drive or from Qobuz streaming service that I also subscribe to.

Assuming there is no SQ difference (and given A+ memory play I don't think there is) between the two options, if I play from my HD the artist gets nothing, if I play from Qobuz the artist each time gets at least some cents, plus goes up higher in the "most listened to ranking" of Qobuz that I sometimes use to find new music and therefore may trigger others to listen to any music.

So why not use streaming? I don't see any downside (except for Qobuz).

Assuming there is no SQ difference (and given A+ memory play I don't think there is) between the two options, if I play from my HD the artist gets nothing, if I play from Qobuz the artist each time gets at least some cents, plus goes up higher in the "most listened to ranking" of Qobuz that I sometimes use to find new music and therefore may trigger others to listen to any music.

Very good point. Roon makes this very simple actually since you see all albums on the same thread and can "hide duplicates" making the streaming version the album you see.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I agree that it is important to buy albums of artists you like. I also agree that it is a good idea to write reviews to encourage other people to buy stuff, I even have a blog for that.

I also go to concerts as much as I can as this is another major revenue stream for artists.

However I'm also intrigued by the OPs initial question.

An album I've bought I can either play from my hard drive or from Qobuz streaming service that I also subscribe to.

Thanks for reading and answering my question.

I listened to tracks that I have on Tidal and on my NAS yesterday and fortunately, I can hear no sonic difference through my main system so I'll stream with Tidal when I can to give the artists more revenue (even if it eats into my data plan slightly and maybe harms the environment minimally when the data is pulled from server farms).

To the OP's point, when I listen on Tidal I find I search for what I know which happens to coincide closely with my music collection. Then it becomes what is the point of a subscription? For me, it is the ability to preview albums I have not heard before and the ability to play anywhere on my phone that is the attraction (which I can also do with iTunes playlists). Neither of these is enough to justify a subscription - but then I avoid subscriptions in general.

To the OP's point, when I listen on Tidal I find I search for what I know which happens to coincide closely with my music collection. Then it becomes what is the point of a subscription? For me, it is the ability to preview albums I have not heard before and the ability to play anywhere on my phone that is the attraction (which I can also do with iTunes playlists). Neither of these is enough to justify a subscription - but then I avoid subscriptions in general.

Going slightly off topic, I mainly listen to classical music. So when my Gramophone subscription comes in, I go to Tidal to listen to the recommended recordings and other ones I find interesting to sample them. If I really like them, and they're available on high-res, I purchase them to listen to off my NAS. Rarely would I buy the CD version. Once in a while, if I really want to dive into and study a piece of music, I can get different performances by different artists of the same piece on Tidal to compare. Tidal also allows me to listen to music that the local coffee shop patrons and baristas are talking about. But I think we all listen and sample music differently. To each his/her own

I use both Tidal and Spotify as music discovery tools.

But why listen to what you own (and preferably have ripped and available on the local network) on the likes of Tidal? If Tidal appeals so much then why spend the money on a physical or digital purchase?

But that's beside the point? Why use data? Unless everyone is having a service with no bandwidth cap/data cap? I don't so I'd rather use that to better use like HBO GO and Netflix or even watching YouTube.

I certainly don't get the point of streaming something over the internet when it's available locally.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

• 2 weeks later...
Streaming $ to the artist and label.

Spotify $0.006 to $.0084 per song to the artist

Tidal $.0070 per song to the artist.

But, but the time an artist and their team break up these earned cents each month via that royalty check, one could ask, show me the money as there is little left unless the artist has streamed a song or songs millions of times. The more they stream the more they make.

Recently saw an analysis of an actual band's "payslip" and Tidal payments were around $.010-$.011, almost twice what the artist got from Spotify.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)