IGNORED

Feedback welcome on new purchase

All,

I am looking to get a new DAC/headphone amp combination (to be transported to and from work) plus a "streaming appliance" for use at home. I have Shure SE425 IEMs, with playback of hi-res material from iPhone and iPad.

I have a budget of $500 out of pocket, but less is nice! The streaming appliance is likely a Raspberry Pi with Digi+ board (for SPDIF to receiver). I have a gift card to Amazon which can be used to offset costs to keep it around the $500 mark.

Three options I'm considering:

1) iFi Micro iDSD (can get demo for 399, or new for 499); Buy RPi components using Amazon

2) Oppo HA-2 ($299) and RPi components from Amazon

3) Chord Mojo ($599) and RPi components from Amazon

My primary goals for this setup are: (1) great headphone amp capability with ability to handle future headphone purchases, and good compatibility with IEMS; (2) potential for connecting via USB to the RPi at home just for fun comparisons between using RPI as a USB/SPDIF converter or just USB audio out.

The Micro has the edge on headphone power, and customization for use with the IEMs (the iEMatch settings look nice on the HP amp). The Oppo is the cheapest option and can connect to iProducts without a CCK, but may not scale to larger headphones, and doesn't have as many connection options. The Mojo is the most expensive, and there have been some scattered reports of hiss with IEMs (I understand this is dependent on your ears, though!) and a few users got replacement units due to sounds coming from the unit during charging.

Any insight on the above or anyone who has compared? Thanks for your input!

Office: iPod classic/iPad -> Shure SE425 IEM Home: Oppo BDP-83/Synology DS211j -> Integra DTR-7.8 -> Revel speakers

Furutech makes some nice ones. This is the one I would buy.

"https://www.thecableco.com/Product/A-1-Portable-Headphone-Amp"

They can send you a demo unit to try first so you don't have to commit to a purchase until you hear it.

• 2 months later...
All,

I am looking to get a new DAC/headphone amp combination (to be transported to and from work) plus a "streaming appliance" for use at home. I have Shure SE425 IEMs, with playback of hi-res material from iPhone and iPad.

I have a budget of $500 out of pocket, but less is nice! The streaming appliance is likely a Raspberry Pi with Digi+ board (for SPDIF to receiver). I have a gift card to Amazon which can be used to offset costs to keep it around the $500 mark.

Three options I'm considering:

1) iFi Micro iDSD (can get demo for 399, or new for 499); Buy RPi components using Amazon

2) Oppo HA-2 ($299) and RPi components from Amazon

3) Chord Mojo ($599) and RPi components from Amazon

My primary goals for this setup are: (1) great headphone amp capability with ability to handle future headphone purchases, and good compatibility with IEMS; (2) potential for connecting via USB to the RPi at home just for fun comparisons between using RPI as a USB/SPDIF converter or just USB audio out.

The Micro has the edge on headphone power, and customization for use with the IEMs (the iEMatch settings look nice on the HP amp). The Oppo is the cheapest option and can connect to iProducts without a CCK, but may not scale to larger headphones, and doesn't have as many connection options. The Mojo is the most expensive, and there have been some scattered reports of hiss with IEMs (I understand this is dependent on your ears, though!) and a few users got replacement units due to sounds coming from the unit during charging.

Any insight on the above or anyone who has compared? Thanks for your input!

I have the $300 Oppo HA-2 after having had the $600 Celsus Sound Companion One, and it sounded JUST as good as the Companion One. I've also talked to one person who tried the HA-2 against the widely-praised Chord Mojo, and he also couldn't hear a difference. Not sure what you bought, but the HA-2 is what I'd get. I LOVE IT!! The sound quality, the features/options, the sleek design, the genuine stitched leather casing, etc. Premium all the way!!

I use it on my AKG K550 MK II. Like the HA-2, I've pitted it against other headphones twice its price (and more in some cases), and it too outdid them all. Premium everything, super clarity with a WIDE expansive soundstage, supreme comfort, etc etc. $400 headphones? I tried 3 against the K550 and they still couldn't cut it IMO. Got the cheap 3-year warranty too.