IGNORED

Advice on a new 256 or 512 DSD DAC

I will give it a try.

First, IMHO cross the Gustard off your list. While it punches above its price it is not in the same league as the best of the others, even after tweaking. And in order to get the best out of it you will need to do a lot of major tweaking.

I owned the E20 MK III with the .082 Clock. Not quite the E22 MK II but close. The E22 MK II is really good. But be prepared to spend some money on a really good external power supply to get the best out of it. That is what I did with my E20.

Now the difference of the E20 MK III .082 vs the DAC 8 DSD? Go with the DAC 8 DSD, even in DSD256.

I heard the Mytek Brooklyn. But again, you need to spend money on a really good external power supply. And I mean $600-$800 but you already have the JS-2. With a really good one it is a rally worthy contender. But, the DAC 8 DSD beats it too when it comes to DSD256. Not by much but still sounds better at DSD256.

When you add DSD512 into the picture it is NOT a contest at all. The T+A DAC 8 DSD is in another league. Yes, it is that big of a step, vs from DSD64 to DSD128 or even DSD128 to DSD256.

As far as the iFi DSD Pro, ?!? Who knows. They will not confirm or deny any features, price or when it will be available. Last iFi said was July. But that has slipped several times. And most likely will again. My guess is late August at best and late Nov at worst. And I mean when you can actually have one, not order.

I am not saying it is not going to be a really good DAC. Just that it is a long guessing game.

So, IMHO, if the T+A DAC 8 DSD is in your budget and you want the best sound for the money that is the way to go.

If it is too high then go with the Mytek Brooklyn or wait and see what iFi ends up offering if you can wait, that long.

I hope this helps.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

perhaps a DSC1 discrete DSD dac kit but i can't find anywhere a way to buy one ?

No such animal at the moment. If ever.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

So would an entry level Lampizator DSD only DAC sounds better than the T+A DAC 8 DSD ?

As I remember it EuroDriver compared the T+A DAC 8 DSD to a Lampi Big 7 and the T+A beat it doing DSD512 vs the Lampi doing...and this is were I can not remember...if it was DSD128 or DSD256. But I do know it was the highest DSD rate that the Big 7 could do.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

He never did. He had a Big 7 in May 2015 (doing DSD128) and tested the T+A in 2016 doing DSD512. There was no T+A Dac 8 existent in May 2015 and the latest Lampis of 2016 do 256 and 512. There was no SG Server in May 2015 either...

I never said it was a direct comparison, (and I said it may have been DSD128), Never said he used the "SG Server" in either case. I believe EuroDrive was still doing a lot of server testing when he first heard the T+A. Actually there was a T+A DAC 8 before that time period but that one did not do DSD, hence the T+A DAC 8 DSD (lol).

Never said that there are no Lampi that can do a higher rate. Just that at one time that the Big 7, at what it was capable of doing at that time, was heard and the same person also heard the T+A DAC 8 DSD and of the opinion that the T+A DAC 8 DSD was better.

Look, I know it involves Lampi and its like catnip for you (lol), it is just one persons opinion.

It is great to hear that Lampi can play DSD 512! I would assume that not all models do. Can you please let us know which ones do DSD51. Besides myself I am sure there are a lot of Audiophiles that would want to know.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Always interesting to hear that kind of feedback for timbral accuracy and transient reproduction from people who actually play.

There's a new USB card from dyinhk which apparently can do DSD512 and I2S. I don't know if anyone has tried it with the Gustard yet.

I think the Gustard and the possible tweaks to it make it one of the best value propositions for high-rate DSD currently.

The "level 1" tweaks by Ric which were implemented by Quadman himself on his own are rather easy to do if you're used to DIY. Some additional ones may be a little more intricate but I wouldn't classify either as "a lot of major tweaking" as hifial seems to imply.

For more info, including a lot of good end-user DIY feedback by Quadman, look for the relevant Gustard Tweaks thread over at WBF. It's quite cool he shares his experience doing the mods and his impressions of the results. Quite cool of Ric to share his info as well.

My intent was aimed at people that have not done and/or are not comfortable doing tweaking. And that to get the most you can there are many such tweaks that you can do to the Gustard. Hence the "a lot of major tweaking". In hindsight I could have explained myself better. Sorry for any confusion/misunderstanding.

Also I agree (and said so) that the Gustard PUNCHES way above its price point, especially when you tweak it.

Another reason I crossed the Gustard off the list is out of the box it does not do DSD512 through USB. From the original poster I got the impression that he wanted to use USB.

IMHO any DAC that can do DSD512 is the one to consider. Then go by budget. And then try to listen and compare if one can.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Where can i buy T+A DAC8 DSD online?

It seems not available in Thailand.

Did you check the T+A web site

ASIA

It lists a dealer in Thailand and some surrounding countries.

Otherwise try Rutherford Audio in the USA and see if they can/will ship to you.

Rutherford Audio - The home of High End Luxury Audio

Good luck.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]