IGNORED

Advice on a new 256 or 512 DSD DAC

+1 on Randy's comments. The Gustard is way above it's price point in SQ. In fairness I have not heard the Mytek Brooklyn, Exasound E22 or the T&A dac 8. I do have some experience with very hi end analog and the Gustard at DSD128 OR 256 does somethings better than hi end analog does. I have been unable to get the Gustard to playback DSD512 as I2S is the only way to get 512 to play and currently there is not a ready to go DDC that matches the Gustards I2S pin assignments. The unit Randy talks about above is currently available but the price is now $399 and it is only stated to support DSD256.

Take a stock gustard, do the full AC mod that Ric lists on his website (tweak audio.com) or send it to Ric and you have one really nice DSD256 and possibly DSD512 dac for WAY less $ then the others you mention. I suspect it will hang or beat all you mention with the possible exception of the T&A. Thou when we figure out DSD512 on the gustard I would love to hear it against the T&A.

Quadman, if you are going to simply upsample everything to DSD512 format, then don't worry about the pin assignments of other DCCS, just swap the left and right cables. Done! They will be bassakwards for PCM, but who cares about PCM.

Well, MY review will say otherwise. Believe who you will. DSD512 is sublime, and quite stable, otherwise I wouldn't make it a headline in my review; especially sublime with the DaisY1 (minimal but SABRE-calming effect) tube buffer and Bugle Boys. There, that's the essence of my review. :)

So yes, it can sound good, but for someone like the OP chasing SoTA DSD, it would not be a natural first choice.That and that alone was my point. I hope I made myself clear now.

SoTA DSD? He is asking for a good sounding DSD256 and/or 512 DAC, and finds the T+A slightly outside his budget. So we began discussing compromises, as that is what you do when discussing within someone's budget (i.e lower price than T+A). If the guy can afford the T+A this thread should be closed, as we all know that end of the budget is clearly T+A. ?? What am I missing here?