IGNORED

Advice on a new 256 or 512 DSD DAC

Whatever you do, do discrete chipless architecture for the best SQ result.

Totally agree with that.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

perhaps a DSC1 discrete DSD dac kit but i can't find anywhere a way to buy one ?

Haven't come across a kit but there are a couple of PCBs around, mainly from Japan if I'm not mistaken.

For other chip-less implementations, there's at least one over at diyaudio.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Thanks for sharing, bibo01, not sure I had seen this, the board looks great.

I have performed some mods and tweaks to this DAC and it absolutely shines on classical music. Woodwinds/strings sounds great. (I should know as I have played in Symphony Orchestras for the past 35 years) I am currently upsampling everything to DSD128 via HQPlayer and when a fellow Gustard owner sends me the right driver on a flash drive, I will be soon listening to DSD256.

Always interesting to hear that kind of feedback for timbral accuracy and transient reproduction from people who actually play.

There's a new USB card from dyinhk which apparently can do DSD512 and I2S. I don't know if anyone has tried it with the Gustard yet.

I think the Gustard and the possible tweaks to it make it one of the best value propositions for high-rate DSD currently.

The "level 1" tweaks by Ric which were implemented by Quadman himself on his own are rather easy to do if you're used to DIY. Some additional ones may be a little more intricate but I wouldn't classify either as "a lot of major tweaking" as hifial seems to imply.

For more info, including a lot of good end-user DIY feedback by Quadman, look for the relevant Gustard Tweaks thread over at WBF. It's quite cool he shares his experience doing the mods and his impressions of the results. Quite cool of Ric to share his info as well.