IGNORED

Hi-Res Audio Streaming On The Way - How Many Of Us Couldl Miss Out Because Of Lack of MQA Or Similar Technology Capable DAC's?

If Meridien had no problem screwing over Auralic, at a major show no less, I don't think we as end users have any hope.

I wouldn't put it so starkly. It might well be the case that they never intended to allow decoding to PCM, and they were ignorant enough not to understand what Auralic had implemented.

Sure I get the mechanics of their operation but assuming I buy in to the MQA BS - it's just silly that for example one can't just do whatever needs to be done in software rather than in the DAC. What am I going to do with my existing DAC? Do they really think that I am going to buy a new DAC just so I can play MQA files?

Of course you can - Auralic has! The argument from MQA is that not having profiled the DAC itself means that the solution is not end-to-end. But seriously, get me a great PCM stream and it will sound great out of my $25k DAC! And their insistence on this means that:

- DSP cannot be used - No room corrections for you!

- DACs with upgradable firmware (like my EmmLabs XDS1v2) cannot possibly be allowed since the profile would change with a firmware update.

MQA has taken too hard (and greedy) a line, and I cannot see how they will ever take off.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I'm still struggling to understand what real customer problem MQA is trying to solve.

IMHO, the most important thing to good sound is careful recording/production/mastering. This is where most stuff gets destroyed, I think. If we had a label on discs/downloads that would indicate a careful handling upstream - think of a audio-kosher sticker! :) - then I would be set and deem MQA a completely useless endeavor.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

IMHO, the most important thing to good sound is careful recording/production/mastering. This is where most stuff gets destroyed, I think. If we had a label on discs/downloads that would indicate a careful handling upstream - think of a audio-kosher sticker! :) - then I would be set and deem MQA a completely useless endeavor.

Your right Miguelito . Not much can save a poorly recorded / mastered album .

I wouldn't put it so starkly. It might well be the case that they never intended to allow decoding to PCM, and they were ignorant enough not to understand what Auralic had implemented.

I can just picture it... Bob Stuart schmoozes into the Auralic room. Sees the Aries attached to the Vega, playing an MQA file. Asks Wang "How many DACs will have support for MQA?" Wang, giving a puzzled look and answering "What are you talking about?" Bob S in a Sean Connery sorta style goes "How many DACs will I be able to get MQA on?" Wang puzzled answers "All." Bob S's hair falls out.

system pics

If Meridien had no problem screwing over Auralic, at a major show no less, I don't think we as end users have any hope.

Sure I get the mechanics of their operation but assuming I buy in to the MQA BS - it's just silly that for example one can't just do whatever needs to be done in software rather than in the DAC. What am I going to do with my existing DAC? Do they really think that I am going to buy a new DAC just so I can play MQA files?

My point exactly, Nikhil!

JC