IGNORED

Where are the computer-controlled DACs, amplifiers and preamps?

I've been an on-and-off audiophile for many years, and since retiring a few years back have devoted more attention to the hobby: reading the magazines, following this forum and others, buying some new equipment, digitizing many years of CDs.

What I'm wondering is this: why can't I control the volume of the music I'm playing from the same computer I used to select the file that's playing? Why can't I choose among sources from the computer, instead of walking across the room to the preamp to switch sources?

Maybe I'm missing a whole line of equipment. Or maybe having Ethernet or wifi in the same box as the amp/preamp would hurt sound quality. If so, please educate me!

I can...

Using Naim NAC-N 272 the same app (all be it on iOS device) can control volume and input selection as well as selecting what music to play. If I attach a Naim CD player the app can control that too.

Same works if you combine a Naim streamer and pre-amp.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Sweet setup, thanks. But what about speaker/amp volume?

As I said; the App controls volume too.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

why can't I control the volume of the music I'm playing from the same computer I used to select the file that's playing?

Ideally you want a DAC with USB HID volume control. Some do, but not all....

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/digital-analogue-converter-pre-support-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-hid-volume-control-27174/

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

UPnP or DLNA have volume control messaging too, but it depends if the Renderer is using this function. So I do exactly that using my Lumin or Kazoo apps on the iPad. The whole library at your fingertips and volume control (analog not digital!) Works great.

I've been an on-and-off audiophile for many years, and since retiring a few years back have devoted more attention to the hobby: reading the magazines, following this forum and others, buying some new equipment, digitizing many years of CDs.

What I'm wondering is this: why can't I control the volume of the music I'm playing from the same computer I used to select the file that's playing? Why can't I choose among sources from the computer, instead of walking across the room to the preamp to switch sources?

Maybe I'm missing a whole line of equipment. Or maybe having Ethernet or wifi in the same box as the amp/preamp would hurt sound quality. If so, please educate me!

The technology's there. I recently purchased a Yamaha AV receiver which can be entirely controlled from an app.

My guess is that small- and medium-sized audiophile companies invest their R&D into getting their product sonically right, rather than paying geeks to write software.

Front End: Neet Airstream

Digital Processing: Chord Hugo M-Scaler

DAC: Chord Dave

Amplification: Cyrus Mono x300 Signatures

Speakers: Kudos Titan T88