IGNORED

Can't get back to gui mode

tboooe

Hi, all of a sudden I can't get my Server machine to go back to gui mode using Service Tool. The process starts but seems to hang at 91% installing then it stops, showing my the command prompt window. If I manually restart the pc, all I get is a black screen. This has never happened to me before.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

me too. when i disable GUI and goes to core mode, I cant go backt to GUI mode. been trying google recommendation but to no avail.

control PC : NUC 5ppyh, LPS

Audio PC : 2 x PPA V3 USB audio PC, HDPLEX LPS

USB SPDIF : Singxer F1

DAC : MSB Analog (dedicated power supply) with Quad rate USB

Power amp : AudioGD C1

Speaker : Dynaudio C1

Subwoofer : REL Stratus II

I ended up having to do a clean install of Server. Based on the errors I saw, my system somehow got very corrupted.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Hi all

Unfortunately things can just get messed up and Windows is no longer able to switch from or to core mode. After all i guess these problems which occur from time to time are the reason why Microsoft removed this switching feature entirely in Windows Server 2016. Obvious they just had to much problems with it..?

Still there are a few things one can try before formating a machine in such a situation. Our ServiceTool has an entire collection of such ms tools and runs all of them for you if you run the "Component Store Repair". As usual the PDF guide contains detailed information about how to use this feature and what to watch out for.

Best,

Phil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 3.00 IS HERE... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Core Audio Music Server | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

That is why a disk or partition image is so important, especially if you switch back and forth between GUI and CORE fairly frequently. I do disk images monthly, same time I do offsite backup of the NAS.

Remember, it's Windows - when you least expect or have very little time, it fails..... LOL

The Service Tool for fixing the Store did work for me once, so make sure to give it a try.

• 1 month later...

Hi tbooe

please also install ALL available windows updates, then try again.

Best,

Phil

____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Core Audio Music Server | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

Hi tbooe

Best,

Phil

Hi Phil, thank you for the suggestion, though this happened to me almost 2 months ago! :) I ended up just doing a fresh install. Everything is good with AO 2.0!

Other components:

Hi tbooe

Best,

Phil

Phil,

This raises I question I've been meaning to ask. With Win12 Server or with Win10, what is your recommendation for doing regular Windows updates. Should I periodically go back to GUI mode, revert all of my AO optimizations, and run the Windows Update utility? Or once optimize, do you recommend avoiding Windows Updater?

Hi

you don't need to go to gui mode to get and install windows. in Core or minimal server you can just enter "sconfig" and then download and install the windows updates. Just don't forget to do a reset using ServiceTool before you do that.

Best,

Phil

That is why a disk or partition image is so important, especially if you switch back and forth between GUI and CORE fairly frequently. I do disk images monthly, same time I do offsite backup of the NAS.

Remember, it's Windows - when you least expect or have very little time, it fails..... LOL

The Service Tool for fixing the Store did work for me once, so make sure to give it a try.

Wondering what program people use to backup Server 2012. I've used Acronis for my home use W7 machine, but Acronis for Server is $1000. Are there other options?

- Windows Server Backup (available as installable role/feature)

- CloneZilla

- Acronis

- ShadowProtect (the mother of all others like acronis etc)

- Disk2VHD from M. Russinovic

- many more Five free and reliable cloning tools - TechRepublic

Hi Phil, thank you for the suggestion, though this happened to me almost 2 months ago! :) I ended up just doing a fresh install. Everything is good with AO 2.0!

Hi

yes i know the thread is a bit older :-)

i posted the info because i was troubleshooting a similar issue for a partner company last week. It was not possible to switch from GUI into Core Mode. I spent countless hours and did not succeed, but in the end it turned out that the issue was caused by a .NET Security Update.

Installing all available Updates as of last week finally resolved the issue and it was possible again to switch back and forth between GUI and Core etc.

Thats why i thought it might be a good idea to post this information :-)

best,

Phil

• 2 months later...
Hi

you don't need to go to gui mode to get and install windows. in Core or minimal server you can just enter "sconfig" and then download and install the windows updates. Just don't forget to do a reset using ServiceTool before you do that.

Thanks for posting this. I did a reset using the ServiceTool, ran sconfig to install Windows updates on both my control and audio PCs, then I could get back into gui mode.