IGNORED

Mystery revealed: UpTone Audio "UltraCap™ LPS-1"

This would imply that the power outlet is available at all times, which isn't necessarily the case for a portable solution.

OK but you will need to figure out how many times you want to charge the LPS-1 and what the current draw is to know what size battery you require. You might be surprised that your "portable solution" is best with a small generator to power the SMPS.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

OK but you will need to figure out how many times you want to charge the LPS-1 and what the current draw is to know what size battery you require. You might be surprised that your "portable solution" is best with a small generator to power the SMPS.

Well, yes - that's why I mentioned VA (VoltAmpere) or Amperehours.

When you say SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply) - which unit are you talking about?

Is it the battery charger or the LPS-1? It never occurred to me that the LPS-1 is categorized as a SMPS.....

I am not sure I understand your answer.

I was talking about a battery all along, not an SMPS into a socket outlet.

So, I am looking for such a free standing rechargable 12V battery. How this battery is charged (when not used) is less of an importance, but the power is 230VAC, 50Hz.

A size about the size of the LPS-1 would be perfect if the VA can run the LPS-1 for minimum a few hours (ideally 8-10h) before dropping to 7.5V.

A 2Amp hour 12V battery should be about right for that 8-10 hour run of a microRendu.

A very quick search found this, it should work, have not tried it, not an "official" recommendation etc etc.

http://www.amazon.com/3800mA-5600mAh-Portable-Battery-charger/dp/B0063EYY5Y

John S.

Well, yes - that's why I mentioned VA (VoltAmpere) or Amperehours.

When you say SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply) - which unit are you talking about?

Is it the battery charger or the LPS-1? It never occurred to me that the LPS-1 is categorized as a SMPS.....

You could use the SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply) to re-charge the LPS-1 as it switches ultracapacitor banks. The Meanwell that UpTone sells with the REGEN will be an option for this LPS-1.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I don't design ANY power supply that doesn't handle fast transients!

For sure!

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

The Meanwell that UpTone sells with the REGEN will be an option for this LPS-1.

Actually, the $395 price of the UltraCap LPS-1 includes a Mean Well SMPS (and the same 18-inch IEC AC cord as provided for the MW with REGEN) as the "energizing" supply.

The "option" is to exclude the SMPS and AC cord to save $15 (and a bit of the planet), bringing an LPS-1 with just the 27-inch DC output cable (5.5mm x 2.1m both ends, one end is right-angle) to $380.

And again, for those just joining, the only sanctioned feeder/energizer supplies for use with the LSP-1 are those that are REGULATED, and which fall in the range of 12V/1.5A, 9V/2.0A, or 7.5V/2.4A. (Higher amperage rated supplies are of course fine, but for the voltages shown, those are the minimum current ratings required.)

And another refresher, the LPS-1 output is user slide-switch selectable for 3.3V, 5V, or 7V. All rated to 1 amp (though tests may show it capable of slightly more).

Here is another 12v power bank. This one is using LiFeP04´s that I guess could be interesting Amazon.com: 30 Minites Charging!! Lifepo4 Power Bank: Lithium Iron Phosphate(lfp) Portable Charger **Made in Taiwan;battery From Usa: Cell Phones & Accessories :-)

Caution! Looking at the device picture it seems that it only have 5vDC output though....and not 5v/12v outputs as written in the ad.

🎛️  Audio System  

Was wondering if it would be possible to buy the urendu with the Ultracap LPS (preferable without the smps) ? For us overseas this is practical and saves fees and postage

Regards Ole

Actually, the $395 price of the UltraCap LPS-1 includes a Mean Well SMPS (and the same 18-inch IEC AC cord as provided for the MW with REGEN) as the "energizing" supply.

The "option" is to exclude the SMPS and AC cord to save $15 (and a bit of the planet), bringing an LPS-1 with just the 27-inch DC output cable (5.5mm x 2.1m both ends, one end is right-angle) to $380.

And again, for those just joining, the only sanctioned feeder/energizer supplies for use with the LSP-1 are those that are REGULATED, and which fall in the range of 12V/1.5A, 9V/2.0A, or 7.5V/2.4A. (Higher amperage rated supplies are of course fine, but for the voltages shown, those are the minimum current ratings required.)

And another refresher, the LPS-1 output is user slide-switch selectable for 3.3V, 5V, or 7V. All rated to 1 amp (though tests may show it capable of slightly more).

mac mini-audirvana-mytek-ncore, xtz speakers, gallo sub

I wonder how the LPS-1 compares to this:

Never Connected Power Supply | Trichord Research

I didn't have the time to research that Trichord PSU, but they also claim their PSU is never connected to AC mains. Thei design is already a few years old.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

I will probably order this one instead:

https://www.xtpower.de/Power-Bank-MP-50000

It can also power the uRendu directly for quite a few hours, I assume.

Are the chargers for those power banks SMPSs?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Alex,

I think I already know the answer ("no"), but here goes: I have a fancy schmancy DC umbilical power cable that I can use to connect my El Cheapo energizing supply to the LPS-1. Is it theoretically possible that it will make any difference as compared to a plain vanilla one?

I know the quality of the energizing supply is irrelevant, so I assume any connector cable will similarly be irrelevant.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Hi Alex,

This looks like it's going to be super awesome!!

So the best way to get in on the first batch is to watch the Uptone Site? Is there any possibility to do an Email list?

I am betting that there are a bunch of folks who don't want to miss out on that first batch....

Thanks,

Cheers,

Hi Alex,

This looks like it's going to be super awesome!!

So the best way to get in on the first batch is to watch the Uptone Site? Is there any possibility to do an Email list?

I am betting that there are a bunch of folks who don't want to miss out on that first batch....

Thanks for your enthusiasm. I am NOT keeping a list of interested buyers for reservations--have WAY too many other things to keep track of these days. Just about everyone who has ever sent any sort of inquiry to us or bought anything (JS-2, REGEN, MMK) is already on a mailing list that I keep (something like 4,000 e-mail addresses). I rarely ever send anything out to that e-mail list (again, far too little time for marketing tasks), but a product availability announcement is the sort of thing I will force myself to do an e-mail blast on.

So on the evening before I make the UltraCap™ LPS-1 pre-order page visible (which again, will not be until we can promise a firm shipment date), I will send a notice to our entire mailing list, as well as posting here. That should get everyone in the loop enough to start the feeding frenzy on the first run of 150 units.

Best,

--Alex C.

Thanks for your enthusiasm. I am NOT keeping a list of interested buyers for reservations--have WAY too many other things to keep track of these days. Just about everyone who has ever sent any sort of inquiry to us or bought anything (JS-2, REGEN, MMK) is already on a mailing list that I keep (something like 4,000 e-mail addresses). I rarely ever send anything out to that e-mail list (again, far too little time for marketing tasks), but a product availability announcement is the sort of thing I will force myself to do an e-mail blast on.

So on the evening before I make the UltraCap™ LPS-1 pre-order page visible (which again, will not be until we can promise a firm shipment date), I will send a notice to our entire mailing list, as well as posting here. That should get everyone in the loop enough to start the feeding frenzy on the first run of 150 units.

Best,

--Alex C.

Alex, you rock....

thanks, really appreciate it... I sent a message on the contact page of the Uptone Site asking to be on the mailing list, as this will be my first Uptone product purchase.

Cheers,

4,000 people with 150 units isn't looking very good for me. :-(

Well first off Jason, you know I'll do my best to take care of you and other vocal supporters first. ;)

Secondly, only some fraction of the 4,000 people on my mailing list are likely to order an LPS-1, and of those, even fewer will do so right out of the gate. We'll see. I am going to run 250 cases as the first chassis batch, so if it looks like the first 150 are going to go fast it is fairly quick to get another run of boards going.

But I just can't spare $50K upfront to run 250 complete LPS-1 units at the kick-off.

[Yes, this darn thing is pushing $200 in parts/assembly cost. I had to laugh when the other day Miska posted in one of his threads that hardware parts cost is usually just 10% of retail price. Anyone for a $700 REGEN, $4,000 JS-2, or $2,000 LPS-1?! ;)]