IGNORED

Mystery revealed: UpTone Audio "UltraCap™ LPS-1"

If all these smps, irrespective of Meanwell or iFi, are connected to a good power conditioner, does it really matter ? For example, I have an Audience aR6-TSSD model (as well as a SR Powercell 10 UEF) where individual outlets are filtered and isolated from each other as well as the mains and all my audio gears in turn are connected to it. If I insert any smps into one of its spare outlet, for example a wallwart for my Netgear switch, I don’t hear a single bit of difference in audio quality.

I agree that noise--kicked back into the AC mains--from small SMPS is not an issue for everyone. I have my DAC and preamp plugged into specialty 1:1 isolation transformers, and then I plug any SMPS directly into the wall (on the opposite side of the 120/0/120V line) and it is fine.

Not that the output from an SMPS is anything I would write home about, just saying that the impact of their high frequency garbage is rather dependent on the rest of ones components and AC power arrangements.

More concerning can be their leakage voltages and also their output grounds. But our isolated UltraCap™ LPS-1 takes care of that.

I am more than happy to steal the Meanwell from my Regen to feed the LPS-1 but I had hoped I could swap it for my iFi iPower 9V, however the spec for the Regen says max 8V - Bummer.....

No, don't know where you saw that, as Alex says it runs fine with 9V. In fact I have run a couple of Regens with 12v, through I provided some extra heat sinking to the 5volt regulator chips. You should be fine with the iPower.

The guys at Benchmark recently wrote an article about smps noise

http://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/152143111-audio-myth-switching-power-supplies-are-noisy

It would be interesting to get opinions on this article from this board since the subject came up in this thread.

Also, I have a question related more directly to the LPS1. It's been great reading the technical aspects, but can the designers comment on the more subjective aspects of audible improvement?

I'm a fan of the Regen, but still found the overall impact subtle. It's a great tweak for the price, but what magnitude of improvement should one expect by adding this power supply option?

I know that there usually is some variability in results due to gear/synergy/etc. However, there actually should be less subjectivity and gear dependency with this add-on since most will be using it with the Regen and that's the only piece of equipment it's impacting.

Btw, thanks for all the great communication and information. You guys have figured out the right way to prosper in the modern audiophile industry, while others rely on antiquated communication and marketing models.

Benchmark is all about measured performance. Skim through the rest of those blog posts and you won't see much attention given to actual listening.

But having said, there are other designers who favor switching supples. But not just any old switching supplies.

As with anything, we get into trouble when we generalize.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

BTW, do different brands of SuperCaps have their own sonic ( "House sound") signatures like many big name larger value electrolytic capacitors do ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Regarding linear vs switching power supply - I don't think one is necessarily better than the other but more application dependent and how they are designed. Switching power supplies have come a long way - Hypex and Constellation Audio comes to my mind....

There are switching PSUs and switching PSUs. 10c ones and $100 ones. Just like cars, watches and everything.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

No, don't know where you saw that, as Alex says it runs fine with 9V. In fact I have run a couple of Regens with 12v, through I provided some extra heat sinking to the 5volt regulator chips. You should be fine with the iPower.

The REGEN itself says 6-8V, the issue as always is what you are plugging INTO the REGEN. If you plug in a DAC that pulls the full 0.5A you don't want to go much above 8V. The microRendu says 6-9V, that is because it has a larger case than the REGEN and can dissipate quite a bit more heat.

So with a large current bus powered DAC the microRendu can handle 9V but the REGEN can only handle 8V.

If the REGEN is not supplying a lot of current to a DAC then it can easily handle 9V.

John S.

Also, I have a question related more directly to the LPS1. It's been great reading the technical aspects, but can the designers comment on the more subjective aspects of audible improvement?

+1

I would also be interested in knowing if there was any improvement in sound quality with the new LPS1. I am a Regen user but did not prefer the sound when powering it with an LPS.

In my setup I found that powering the Regen with the HDPLEX LPS "slowed down" the sound adding a little thickness. I prefer to use the Meanwell SMPS with an Array Cable AC Filter. The sound in comparison is fast and clean.

Regards.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

In my setup I found that powering the Regen with the HDPLEX LPS "slowed down" the sound adding I a little thickness.....

That will almost certainly be a limitation of the HDPLEX, NOT Linear PSUs in general.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

No idea, there was only one brand that would work for us so that it what we use.

John S.

It's all about specs; right?!?! I'm sure in your case (no pun intended) it was more about the physical size.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

That will almost certainly be a limitation of the HDPLEX, NOT Linear PSUs in general.

Have you used the Meanwell with the Array Filter cable?

Regardless, my point is that some listening impressions would help.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

BTW, do different brands of SuperCaps have their own sonic ( "House sound") signatures like many big name larger value electrolytic capacitors do ?

They're quite different in many ways and I'm not going there. ;-)

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

They're quite different in many ways and I'm not going there. ;-)

Are you implying that different supercap brands sound different, and that you have experienced that? Forgive me if I am incredulous of the idea.

Perhaps you were just saying that standard electrolytics and supercaps are different beasts--and with that I will agree.

BTW, for what it is worth, we use the Maxwell brand.

Are you implying that different supercap brands sound different, and that you have experienced that? Forgive me if I am incredulous of the idea.

What about the reproduction of very fast transients? What does John say?

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Well there is still many Farads of capacity in that little space. Wired up right, those banks could still do a couple of seconds of arc welding. ;)

Yeah, I'm quite aware of what's possible but you side-stepped my initial questioin. ;-)

I didn't say that. There's more to it.

Perhaps you were just saying that standard electrolytics and supercaps are different beasts--and with that I will agree.

Perhaps.

BTW, for what it is worth, we use the Maxwell brand.

I'm not surprised. HC Series probably.

In my setup I found that powering the Regen with the HDPLEX LPS "slowed down" the sound adding a little thickness. I prefer to use the Meanwell SMPS with an Array Cable AC Filter. The sound in comparison is fast and clean.

What is an Array Cable AC Filter ? Could you provide a link ?

What is an Array Cable AC Filter ? Could you provide a link ?

Thanks Doak, the Array cable filter was a recommendation by Jim Smith. Excellent accessory that was originally from the ham radio area that has done great job in my setup. I'm using them with my computer SMPS and the Regen Meanwell SMPS completely replacing my LPS.

Sorry for the OT - let's get the conversation back to LPS1.