IGNORED

Mystery revealed: UpTone Audio "UltraCap™ LPS-1"

So now you've been playing with one, how warm does it get? And did it affect the temperature of the mRendu in any noticeable way?

As Alex mentioned I have been running my prototype in a case. When JUST powering a microRendu (DAC does not pull any power from the VBUS) it gets a little warm. If the DAC is pulling a LOT of current it gets quite warm, if you put your hand on it, it feels really warm but not HOT.

John S.

• 8 months later...
On ‎18‎-‎8‎-‎2016 at 9:01 AM, JohnSwenson said:

... I now have two LPS-1 boards that seem to be working perfectly so I decided to finally do a quick listening test.

The existing system is very simply: microRenu feeding Bottlehead DAC trhough my own custom designed "hard adapter", audio going to pair of Dave Slagle autoformer volume controls and then to the power amp, (only commercially bought part of the system), feeding the "bazookas" my own Lowther systems (suspended from the ceiling). The microRendu and DAC fed by a JS-2, so there are only two power supplies in the system.

This system is sounding REALLY good (I think Alex liked it too). ...

Hi John,

My experience with the Dave Slagle autoformers is that they sound best when followed by an active impedance buffer to the power amp, but YMMV. Currently I use a Schiit Saga as buffer for the Slagleformers plus W4S power amp and it sounds great!

Anyway, I placed an order for the Iso Regen + LPS-1. I hope this combo will finally elevate USB audio in my system to the same level as my CDP (with Mutec MC-3+ S/PDIF reclocker) or beyond.. :)

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello to all,

this is my first message here. I am french (so please apology for the mistakes) and living in Germany. I read the 23 pages of this thread and I am very intrigued by these PS...

I am using a Raspbery Pi3B connected to a USB DAC. So far, I started to understand that the LPS-1 should be a good solution to power the PI3 (no HAT card, no USB drive plugged in).

I also consider a better power supply for my pre-amp. I need -5, 0 and +5 volts. I first thought about two LPS-1, but found that the JS-2 might be more appropriate...

but now come into play the ISO Regen... Things are becoming a bit complex and costly... 

Use the LPS-1 to power the ISO Regen, or the PI3? One LPS-1 for the ISO and one for the PI3?

Where should I invest first? For the moment, my PI3 and the preamp are powered by batteries (best solution so far).

regards,

Dominique

3 minutes ago, Dominique-Tanguy said:

Hello to all,

this is my firts message here. I am french (so please apology for the mistakes) and living in Germany. I read the 23 pages of this thread and I am very intrigued by these PS...

I am using a Raspbery Pi3B connected to a USB DAC. So far, I started to understand that the LPS-1 should be a good solution to power the PI3 (no HAT card, no USB drive plugged in).

I also consider a better power supply for my pre-amp. I need -5, 0 and +5 volts. I first thought about two LPS-1, but found that the JS-2 might be more appropriate...

but now come into play the ISO Regen... Things are becoming a bit complex and costly... 

Use the LPS-1 to power the ISO Regen, or the PI3? One LPS-1 for the ISO and one for the PI3?

Where should I invest first? For the moment, my PI3 and the preamp are powered by batteries (best solution so far).

regards,

Dominique

My experience in going from battery to LPS-1 to power a microRendu was that the LPS-1 did not need to be charged and was more convenient.  No sound quality difference for me.  I do not have experience with PI3 or ISO Regen.

On 10/8/2017 at 8:25 AM, Dominique-Tanguy said:

Hello to all,

this is my first message here. I am french (so please apology for the mistakes) and living in Germany. I read the 23 pages of this thread and I am very intrigued by these PS...

regards,

Dominique

Hi Dominique:

Thank you for posting your questions.  (And your English is MUCH better than my French so no need to apologize!)

This morning I replied to your e-mail regarding using a pair of UltraCap LPS-1 connected in series with center-tap to obtain +/- 5V for your Kaneda 218 phono preamp.  That works great and is a wonderful application for the special LPS-1!

As far as your choice of using another LPS-1 for either your Raspberry Pi3B or ISO REGEN:  

There are many ways to go, and you can experiment to hear what is best.  Because the current draw of an ISO REGEN by itself is only about 150mA (plus whatever 5VBUS the attached DAC draws for its USB input), some people power both their streamer/renderer (rPi or microRendu, etc.) and their ISO REGEN from a single LPS-1 using a DC 'Y' cable.  Doing so will defeat the galvanic isolation of the ISO REGEN, but all the main performance benefits of the ISO REGEN are still obtained.

If you do use a pair of LPS-1 (as a bi-polar +/-5V supply) for your phono preamp, there is another trick you can do:

If the current draw of the preamp is very low, or if you turn off the preamp when you use Raspberry Pi3B and/or ISO REGEN, then you could use those 2 LPS-1 units for digital side power.  

Since the easiest way to wire LPS-1 in series (and with center-tap for +/-) is to use readily available "CCTV DC power plugs,"  you can also wire another cable into each one and get regular +5VDC (or whatever you set that LPS-1 to) for some other device.  I have done this.  I have wired two LPS-1s in series for 12V for DAC (one set to 5V, the other to 7V) and then tapped off the 7V from one and the 5V from the other.  Just think about the "floating" LPS-1 as you would a battery, and the connections will make sense.

If you get confused I can post diagrams or a photo of such a wire plug harness.

The only thing you can not do is wire LPS-1 units in parallel.  Such will not result in greater current capability, and one unit will end up with all the load.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Cordialement,

--Alex C.

59dbd763602e7_CCTVDCplug.thumb.jpg.5c29d156862ae9bae88912b00b23e056.jpg