IGNORED

Changing to Headphones

I am in the process of changing my entire system. For a number of reasons, I am trying to simplify my system down to a computer, a headamp/dac, and a nice set of headphones.

I did something similar. Sold the Devialet, the Harbeth's, the KEF's, the Melco, the Esoteric CD/SACD and boxes and boxes of CD's and SACD's. Tried a bunch of headphones, portable DAC/amps and DAP's and settled in with a Chord Mojo, a Questyle QP1R and the Mr.Speaker Ether C headphones. Keep my entire music library on two MyPassport drives for Mac/JRiver and have eight 200g ScanDisk cards for the QP1R. I'm happy mostly, although room speakers and headphones really are two distinctly different listening experiences.

“Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.” Steve Bannon

Chief Strategist for President Trump and attendee on United States National Security Council.

Is the Schiitt going to be a "one box" portable or large box?

There are so many good combos and really hard to make a bad choice. I am so impressed with the T&A upsampled to 512, balanced into the Liquid Carbon balanced to either the HD800s or LCD-X. My feelings about the SQ is hard to put into words. However, I personally, have never heard a headphone system sound as engaging as this combo; first to admit I haven't heard as much as most headphone people and just referencing to my reference system. I can't imagine any headphone not sound amazing with this system. I haven't even tried the T&A headphone jack yet, LOL

I took the liberty to order the Cavalli Liquid Gold discount offered because I purchased the Liquid Carbon. Now I can't wait.

I look forward to seeing what the one box solution is from Schitt. So many great choices in the headphone world.

Casework wasn't final when I got to hear it. My guess is that it will be slightly wider but slightly less tall than a Bifrost.

It will not be portable.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

I did something similar. Sold the Devialet, the Harbeth's, the KEF's, the Melco, the Esoteric CD/SACD and boxes and boxes of CD's and SACD's. Tried a bunch of headphones, portable DAC/amps and DAP's and settled in with a Chord Mojo, a Questyle QP1R and the Mr.Speaker Ether C headphones. Keep my entire music library on two MyPassport drives for Mac/JRiver and have eight 200g ScanDisk cards for the QP1R. I'm happy mostly, although room speakers and headphones really are two distinctly different listening experiences.

You really did take the plunge Bryan, I admire your courage and comittment . Making the decision to give up the Devialet, the Harbeths, the Esoteric gear could not have been easy. Unless you are limited to portable gear, there is a whole world of high end, full size headphone amplification gear out there for you to also consider on an upgrade path.

Your statement about "room speakers and headphones really are two distinctly different listening experiences" is entirely accurate, though. And I have struggled with that for years. I had a serious amount of money into various headphones, amplifiers, etc. over a long period of time, and was of some significance in Head-Fi's earlier years, and still have many friends there among the prominent core. However, over the years I simply came to the conclusion that while I love elements of headphone listening, I am really a speaker guy at heart. I suspect that is true of us all, in the end.

Since that, I've moved back into speaker based systems and sold off nearly all of my old headphone gear. I still have retained my much loved and truly superb Moth si2a3 amp, It was one of only three very special versions made, and I don't think I could bear to sell it. I still fire it up a couple times a month with one of my few remaining good sets of cans.

JC

You really did take the plunge Bryan, I admire your courage and comittment . Making the decision to give up the Devialet, the Harbeths, the Esoteric gear could not have been easy. Unless you are limited to portable gear, there is a whole world of high end, full size headphone amplification gear out there for you to also consider on an upgrade path.

Your statement about "room speakers and headphones really are two distinctly different listening experiences" is entirely accurate, though. And I have struggled with that for years. I had a serious amount of money into various headphones, amplifiers, etc. over a long period of time, and was of some significance in Head-Fi's earlier years, and still have many friends there among the prominent core. However, over the years I simply came to the conclusion that while I love elements of headphone listening, I am really a speaker guy at heart. I suspect that is true of us all, in the end.

Since that, I've moved back into speaker based systems and sold off nearly all of my old headphone gear. I still have retained my much loved and truly superb Moth si2a3 amp, It was one of only three very special versions made, and I don't think I could bear to sell it. I still fire it up a couple times a month with one of my few remaining good sets of cans.

JC

Downsizing to an apartment from house decided much for me. Health expenses not covered by my Blue Cross/Blue Shield plan sealed the change. I did learn emphatically that no matter how good the audio equipment in a speaker based system, the listening room acoustics matter as much or more than the equipment. The house I had built and had to sell had one room dedicated as my listening room. A headphone system removes the need for that acoustically sound listening room. I never heard of "Moth" but did once own an LFD (another little know make) NCSE which I used with a top-of-line Audience Power Conditioner with big Harbeths in my dedicated audio room. Sublime synergy there, although some posted on forums saying the LFD's were overpriced garbage. There are so many variables in speaker-based audio systems and audiophiles (or whatever they call or think of themselves as) are among the most opinionated people I know.

“Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.” Steve Bannon

Chief Strategist for President Trump and attendee on United States National Security Council.

I wish I could afford the 800S, but the 650 seems the better product.

BTW, are you referring to the Sennheiser kit that's currently bundled with the 650?:

Sennheiser HD 650 Apogee Groove - Audiophile Kopfhörer HiFi-Stereo

No I am referring to the DAC/amps that Sennheizer is making!

They are quite expensive though!

I like the 650 very much but even more the 600!

I haven't heard late 650s though! They are supposed to have some "silent" differences from the older ones!

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

No I am referring to the DAC/amps that Sennheizer is making!

They are quite expensive though!

I like the 650 very much but even more the 600!

I haven't heard late 650s though! They are supposed to have some "silent" differences from the older ones!

Agree. I'm using the HDVA600 with my HD800 and the synergy is beautiful (as is the amp per se).

Agree. I'm using the HDVA600 with my HD800 and the synergy is beautiful (as is the amp per se).

+1

Beautiful piece of gear!

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

I would proceed with caution. Sometimes downsizing your system is a bad choice. If you don't get a headphone setup that sounds at least as good as your current system, you may not be able to enjoy it. Once you get used to a certain level of SQ, its very hard to listen to a lesser system. I'm not saying you can't get equal or better sound from headphones. Just make sure you'll be happy with your choice before you spend a lot of money.

If you live in the US, call The Cable Company. They sell the entire Audeze and Sennheiser lines, along with many others. They can send you demo headphones and amps/dacs for you to try first.

I am in the process of changing my entire system. For a number of reasons, I am trying to simplify my system down to a computer, a headamp/dac, and a nice set of headphones. I will be able to audition the full line of Audeze headphone and have two possible head amps: Moon and Naim. If anyone has any experience/recommendations for specific Audeze headphones or the head amps I'd would love to hear it. I'll be trading in my Wilson's on the new equipment so my budget should be 3-4K.

For years I only had a headphone system due to my living situation. I had some good phones(HD650 and AKG K1000) and tried a variety of amps, tube and SS but I dreamed of having a room where I could play music out loud at satisfying levels and not have something strapped to my head.

Two years ago I moved into a home with a basement and with a tolerant wife built up a nice system. The big issue now is the room itself. I am pretty convinced that most folks lose a significant potential by not tweaking the room. I added a few panels but at this point ran to the end of my wife's acceptance (WAF). I now find myself listening via headphones again more often.

Ours is a troublesome path!

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

#1 going to headphones doesn't have to be considered a compromise. I've enjoyed music just as much if not even more now with availability of DSD and 24bit content.

If you do not require portability I highly recommend Stax with a dac like moon 280d or chord 2qute.

Jriver/PC makes a great source. Or the new Bluesound Vault2 is a great all in 1 solution.

It was interesting hearing some experiences of people who have also made a similar plunge.

My listening room was in the basement. I had it set up very nicely. I had room treatments and used Dirac to address room problems. All in all it was pretty sweet. But a combination of intermittent seepage due to frequent heavy storms along with a desire simply not to be in the basement any longer has led me to make the change. In a year or two I will probably have another system set up upstairs in a smaller room.

If the audeze aren't totally pleasing I will likely try the Cable Company. Since my dealer is taking care of selling my speakers I will be working with him initially. There's actually and advantage to headphones in that I couldn't play DSD's through my old system because of Dirac.

I'm not thinking of headphones as a compromise, just a different sound.

2012 MacMini 8G ram -> Audirvana + 3.0 -> Mcintosh MHA 100> Nordost > Audeze LCD X

+1 I have a dear friend (who is a reviewer) who has owned or heard dozens of high-end preamps and considers Mark's Microzotl 2.0 the best he's ever heard (which includes $20k list preamps). Mark confirmed that I will be field testing the remote-version in a few weeks. I can't wait.

+2

I know headphone listening is different than room speakers, but I'm convinced that I would have to spend many tens of thousands of dollars to get to the SQ I enjoy with my Mac Mini/Jriver/exaSound setup into my Microzotl 2 and Hifiman HE-1000's. I also own Audeze's LCD-3 (pre-fazored or "classic" version) and quite enjoy their sound as well, but I find I'm listening to them less since I picked up the HEK's.

Ted...I'm looking forward to your Microzotl review!

CAPS Pipeline with HDPlex Linear PSU running Win10 64 bit, AO 2.0, RoonServer, HQPlayer -> T+A DAC8 DSD -> Linear Tube Audio's MicroZOTL2 Headphone Amp with Mojo Audio's Illuminati Linear PSU -> Focal Utopia/Audeze LCD-3

• 3 weeks later...

Just today listened to HE-1000 and 800S using a Bryston Headphone amplifier in balanced mode at dealer. Source was my Sony NW-ZX2, ripped FLAC files and DSD. If the headphone works with the line out of the NW-ZX2 then it will work with the system at home very nicely.

The main reason for the change is to combat the physical weight of the Audeze LCD-3. This headphone was bought in 2012 and has been very reliable and no hint of driver failure, has very good sound but it's too heavy.

The HE-1000 sounded very neutral, however decay times on cymbals where there, but not extended. It has that relaxed planar mode I suppose, but it sounded like the music was missing details. I listened for a while, but there was no magic. This headphone needs a good source and amp to bring the best of it out.

The Sennheiser 800s on the other hand was a truly remarkable design. The music came alive at once, and it has a similar characteristics to the speed of speakers at home. Far more detail and the cymbal decay missing on the HE-1000 was restored. It restored my faith in the NW-ZX2, it also needs a good transducer on the other end. Didn't need to listen for very long at all, this was the sound I was after and placed an order, should arrive in a few weeks.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Just today listened to HE-1000 and 800S using a Bryston Headphone amplifier in balanced mode at dealer. Source was my Sony NW-ZX2, ripped FLAC files and DSD. If the headphone works with the line out of the NW-ZX2 then it will work with the system at home very nicely.

The main reason for the change is to combat the physical weight of the Audeze LCD-3. This headphone was bought in 2012 and has been very reliable and no hint of driver failure, has very good sound but it's too heavy.

The HE-1000 sounded very neutral, however decay times on cymbals where there, but not extended. It has that relaxed planar mode I suppose, but it sounded like the music was missing details. I listened for a while, but there was no magic. This headphone needs a good source and amp to bring the best of it out.

The Sennheiser 800s on the other hand was a truly remarkable design. The music came alive at once, and it has a similar characteristics to the speed of speakers at home. Far more detail and the cymbal decay missing on the HE-1000 was restored. It restored my faith in the NW-ZX2, it also needs a good transducer on the other end. Didn't need to listen for very long at all, this was the sound I was after and placed an order, should arrive in a few weeks.

I agree with your take on those two headphones.I spend roughly six months a year mainly listening via headphones on my tropical travels during our dark miserable winters in Sweden.

I was very tempted to get the HE1000 this past winter after all the raving reviews and discussions especially over at Headfi.

I carefully auditioned the HE 1000 against my HD800 mainly via my HUGO and in the end came to the conclusion that my trusted HD800 was the best over all performer with reference material where I actually know how things sounded live in the halls at sessions.

In my experience with this combo I had to turn up the volume higher with the HE 1000 to get similar resolution and low level detail like decaying percussion as with my HD800.

Maybe even too loud for comfort and safety.

But I also listened to the HE 1000 via Chord DAVE and it sounded more convincing via DAVE than HUGO.

On the other hand HE1000 is like DAVE,definitely VERY overpriced IMO!

Currently I am enjoying my favourite recordings and some newly aquired ones mainly via my big electrostatic speakers and powerful amp.

For headphone listeners who want SQ as close as possible to the real thing with acoustic music as it sounds in a real venue and within reasonable cost and comfort, I have yet to hear another headphone that can really compete with the HD 800 or slightly warmer,more beefed up bass for people who can´t handle the truth,HD800S.

Definitely try a Mr Speakers Ether I did some minor felt Mods MAXX134 and the tonality is just great. Suprised at Schitt doing an all in one, the market is full of Good products@ pre amp level.

As on SBAF it limits upgradability factor... like a new Dac with a L carbon..

But John above has got me aiming at the new MYTEK BROOKLYN. The wife and I are trying for a baby so this fits in the budget before baby and sell my OPPO HA1 to fund a decent LPS.

OH Mr speakers is doing a low power Electrostatic headphone with high prototype reviews..

Good luck what ever you choose my friend

Dave[emoji4]

• 2 weeks later...

If you like the sound of your speaker setup I'd try to find something close in signature to them.

The other major thing you shouldn't overlook is comfort if you tend to listen for more than an album or so at a time. I found Audeze's LCD line far too heavy after one album. Their EL-8 line was much more comfortable, although had a slightly different sound.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W