IGNORED

Changing to Headphones

I am in the process of changing my entire system. For a number of reasons, I am trying to simplify my system down to a computer, a headamp/dac, and a nice set of headphones. I will be able to audition the full line of Audeze headphone and have two possible head amps: Moon and Naim. If anyone has any experience/recommendations for specific Audeze headphones or the head amps I'd would love to hear it. I'll be trading in my Wilson's on the new equipment so my budget should be 3-4K.

I would like to give you some advice. Never was a headphone guy, have a pretty decent system as my main system and for a variety of reasons have been using headphones more and more.

The two headphones I would try are the LCD-X and the Sennheiser HD800s. I have both and like the latter better albeit with the system I am going to recommend the LCD-X are so good that I am likely going to hang on to them instead of selling them which I was going to do.

One reason to look at the LCD-X is because of the impedance and sensitivity which can be driven by anything, however, you will still want a decent system to drive to get the best sound out of them. Regardless of what people may say to truly get the best out the HD800s you need a decent head amp.

If you can stretch your budget a little more the system I am currently listening to is the new T&A DAC (4K) with the Cavalli Liquid Carbon headamp (599) with either the LCD-X or the HD-800s (both go for 1699 each but include balanced and SE can cables). This system is by far the best I have heard my LCD-X sound.

If you want to spend less, I would recommend the Chord Mojo (599) with the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. I had the Chord HUGO and like the sound of the Mojo better and it is more portable and can easily drive either headphone, alhtough will drive the LCD-X better by itself. However, with the Cavalli the HD-800s is better.

So if you can swing it, the T&A as a DAC is a remarkable product.

If you want more portable and still have a great DAC the Chord Mojo.

If you choose the Mojo route, the LCD-X will run direct from the MOJO, but either the LCD-X or HD800s will sound better still with the Cavalli leaving you still with a portable system if you want. If you are going to go the Audeze route I highly recommend the LCD-X.

Just my take

And your experience, unfortunately, is not unique. Read forums, look at the number of units with repaired drivers and it is mind boggling. The LCD-3 and LCD-2 are probably the most unreliable headphones you can buy. Great sound, but... I would never purchase them as I don't want to roll the dice and deal with the down time of sending them in for repairs.

Now, I have not read much about issues with the LCD-X, so Audeze may finally have sorted things out, which is great news for fans of the Audeze sound.

Blake,

Apparently the saga of QA continues with the LCD-4 as well so I am not sure if things have totally been worked out. I have never had an issue with my X, but I am one person.

One more point to consider: I bought my HD800 about a year ago (800S wasn't yet out). At the time I had compared them to the LCD-2 and 3. Sound wise the 3 is probably slightly better than my Sennheiser, but the LCDs are significantly heavier. I find I can wear my HD800 for hours without discomfort, not sure the same would be true for the Audeze.

I would be careful saying they are "better". I truly have no dog in this fight as I currently have both. When I got my first HD800, which I quickly sent back, I too thought the LCD-X was "better". However, I was driving the HD800 with my HUGO only, so I can to the conclusion that the LCD-X was better.

Once I got a dedicated headamp like the Cavalli Liquid Carbon it was a game changer. The better went to the HD series, in this case the HD800s. However, then when I got the T&A for demo, all balanced with the Liquid Carbon, the playing field even out once again, although I still give the nod to the HD800s although the LCD-X are fantastic as well.

The point is the LCD, in my case, the X are much easier to drive than the HD series and will indeed be "better" with things like HUGO/MOJO, other smaller dedicated units, etc compared to the Sennheiser which really needs a decent headamp to drive them.

I would enthusiastically sign on to Priaptor's Mojo/Liquid Carbon recommendation, but ... I head a prototype of a forthcoming one-box solution from Schiit a few months ago, and it's so going to the worth the wait.

Is the Schiitt going to be a "one box" portable or large box?

There are so many good combos and really hard to make a bad choice. I am so impressed with the T&A upsampled to 512, balanced into the Liquid Carbon balanced to either the HD800s or LCD-X. My feelings about the SQ is hard to put into words. However, I personally, have never heard a headphone system sound as engaging as this combo; first to admit I haven't heard as much as most headphone people and just referencing to my reference system. I can't imagine any headphone not sound amazing with this system. I haven't even tried the T&A headphone jack yet, LOL

I took the liberty to order the Cavalli Liquid Gold discount offered because I purchased the Liquid Carbon. Now I can't wait.

I look forward to seeing what the one box solution is from Schitt. So many great choices in the headphone world.