IGNORED

Changing to Headphones

I have no argument with any of Priaptor's recommendations, however, if you looking at the Audeze line you'll also undoubtedly be checking out the LCD-3 as well. I've never heard the LCD-X but I have extensive listening experience with the LCD-3 which is a joy with a few caveats. The first caveat has to do with the Audeze phones in general as they are physically heavy headphones if you're sensitive to that sort of thing. The weight may be fatiguing with extended listening sessions. Second, the Audeze line is known/renown for it's "fun factor" when listening to Pop music. If you like bass then Audeze is for you. If you listen to mostly classical music then the Sennheiser 800s is the way to go. The Sennheiser is also lighter to wear and more comfortable. Also, keep in mind that the Sennheiser HD600 is the value sweet spot in the Sennheiser line and better suited IMHO to satisfying listening with all genres of music.

For a DAC/amp I would strongly suggest giving the Mytek Brooklyn a listen. No, it's not a Cavalli amp but the Myteks in general fare well with headphone listening, plus the Brooklyn gives you up to DSD256, up to PCM 24/384 and also is MQA ready.

Hope this helps.

Esau

One more point to consider: I bought my HD800 about a year ago (800S wasn't yet out). At the time I had compared them to the LCD-2 and 3. Sound wise the 3 is probably slightly better than my Sennheiser, but the LCDs are significantly heavier. I find I can wear my HD800 for hours without discomfort, not sure the same would be true for the Audeze.

Musicophile, your comment brings up an interesting point. I would imagine that, with the 800s on the market and getting favorable reviews, the 800 could likely be gotten for a good price on the used market.

Both the 800 and 800s excel (some say to the point of exaggeration) in the area of soundstage. In truth, they are undisputed kings of soundstage.

In regards to Audeze, the company is known to make small tweaks/modifications to their headphones without announcing the changes to buying public. I would, therefore, be sure to check in with your dealer regarding when their Audezes were manufactured before making a buying decision.