IGNORED

Changing to Headphones

I have alway owned an Audeze since 2011, initially LCD-2, then LCD-3, now LCD-X.

Also previously owned Senn HD800, Ultrasone ED8, AKG 701.

LCD-3 was my favourite (and endgame) headphone , though unfortunately my experience was that it was incredibly unreliable.

The drivers failed 6 times (plus several other issues). Between breaking down, it could last a couple of hours, sometimes 10 months.

The average MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) was about 6 months. While I loved the sound, it was the worst reliability that I have experienced in audio.

LCD-X ... I have now had this about 10 months. Reliable, easy to drive, even from an iDevice.

I feel the mid range is slightly better on the LCD-3, though the LCD-X has slightly better treble.

LCD-X also has better bass (the current LCD-3 is now a bit rolled off).

DAC/Amp is an Auralic Gemini 2000 (cost about 2K).

2W Class A from the balanced headphone output, up to DSD128.

It is a lifestyle product, though I found a nice tweak & significant upgrade by powering it with a HDPlex 100W linear PSU.

While I am very happy with my setup ... esimms86 & Priaptor make great recommendations, they provide good advice.

John

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods