IGNORED

do switches block electrical noise

I work from home doing software/database development and have a significant number of PC's connected via a 24 port switch, which itself is connected into my DSL modem. Obviously there are a few switched mode power supplies running around.

My house is newish (2008) so I have structured wiring all through the house for cat 6 ethernet/cable/video.

In my listening room I have a headless silent PC, strictly used to serve files to my Slimdevices Transporter and Denon DLNA enabled Universal player (I still spin the odd silver disk such as SACD's and rented movies).

My PCM based music and music DVD's are all ripped to the 3TB of SSD drives in the slient PC. The PC/Transporter/Denon are connected via a small five port switch and the PC and switch are powered by an HDPLEX 100W Linear Power Supply (19v and 12V lines respectively).

So my question is..... due to the paranoia we audiophiles have.... if I connect the listening room switch into my DSL modem what is the risk of switched mode power supply noise etc leaking into my system?

Do ports on a switch inherently block noise and if not, should I look at some device that will block it?

Thanks,

Peter

LANs are riddled with noise, use optical isolation at the music server end: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/optical-network-configurations-24641/

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Network Cabling is fully differentially balanced and signaled.

Network Cabling isn't tied to ground.

The network ports both on the switch and on the network card are transformer coupled via a magnetics package in each port.

If you are really worried you can just go wireless and be done with it.

Here is a really good thread if you like facts and stuff:

The inaudibility of Ethernet

@Rick01:

Another good thread here, this is where I 1st learnt about LAN isolation it, lots of input from people who have experimented and achieved good results. It's easy when reading the specs to incorrectly assume that LANs are perfect and thus isolation is not necessary, but most IT gear is powered by SMPS - always use a linear power supply (LPS) at the server end Fibre Media Converter (FMC). FMCs ended up being the preferred method by most.

;-)

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/network-isolation-4265/

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

@Rick01:

Another good thread here, this is where I 1st learnt about LAN isolation it, lots of input from people who have experimented and achieved good results. It's easy when reading the specs to incorrectly assume that LANs are perfect and thus isolation is not necessary, but most IT gear is powered by SMPS - always use a linear power supply (LPS) at the server end Fibre Media Converter (FMC). FMCs ended up being the preferred method by most.

;-)

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/network-isolation-4265/

I am lucky with the fact that my house is fully wired at the time of the build.

I have two ethernet ports right behind my audio rack which connect back to my noisey network segment so will have the two FMC running off my audio systems LPS so all three network devices related to my audio system (1 x switch, 2 x FMC) will be given LPS power.

The HDPLEX is an LPS that keeps on giving. 1st it was just for my silent PC, then later it was used for my HDMI de-embedder and now for a switch and FMC's. So the 19V, 12V, 9V, and 5V have all been utilized.

Thanks for the link

Cool, nice job!

I've looked at those HD PLEX PSUs, they look superb for the money with all those outputs, I think thee are 2 separate output banks so not all outputs 4 are completely isolated? If so you might need to be careful when choosing which bank is powering which bit of kit.

:-)

I am lucky with the fact that my house is fully wired at the time of the build.

I have two ethernet ports right behind my audio rack which connect back to my noisey network segment so will have the two FMC running off my audio systems LPS so all three network devices related to my audio system (1 x switch, 2 x FMC) will be given LPS power.

The HDPLEX is an LPS that keeps on giving. 1st it was just for my silent PC, then later it was used for my HDMI de-embedder and now for a switch and FMC's. So the 19V, 12V, 9V, and 5V have all been utilized.

Thanks for the link

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc: