IGNORED

Lumin d1 vs. CA 851n vs. Intel NUC

I'm needing to buy a network streamer and need advice. Which one has the best sound quality and best android app between these 3 streamers listed in the subject line? If I were to buy a intel nuc I would probably just buy jriver with jremote & call it good. I want to be able to control with my android phone and have gapless playback to my parasound system. I don't want to have to get into buying ipads and all kinds of apple crap just to control my streamer. My equipment: Kef R900, parasound p5/a21, svs sb13u, synology 1513+ nas (minimserver). What would you guys choose? TIA.

I'm needing to buy a network streamer and need advice. Which one has the best sound quality and best android app between these 3 streamers listed in the subject line? If I were to buy a intel nuc I would probably just buy jriver with jremote & call it good. I want to be able to control with my android phone and have gapless playback to my parasound system. I don't want to have to get into buying ipads and all kinds of apple crap just to control my streamer. My equipment: Kef R900, parasound p5/a21, svs sb13u, synology 1513+ nas (minimserver). What would you guys choose? TIA.

First decide if you are looking to improve on the DAC of Parasound.

Lumin and CA are complete renderers (meaning they have integrated DAC's and can output analogue to Parasound).

So you do not need them to connect to Parasound...unless you find you get better sound in that configuration..

The NUC could be a solution, not sure if it runs Jriver smoothly and if can be configured to store a playlist locally, so it stays playing when you disconnect your control pc...

I would try to find a solution to connect to Parasound with minimised noise and jitter, so something like the sonore microrendu makes sense (and it has lot's of choices to control it so will not be an issue to find a good android app).

Yeah, the dac in the parasound p5 is pretty outdated. I don't think it supports 192khz flac, dsd, etc. To tell you the truth i'm probably more leaning toward buying the lumin d1. I've read that Lumin finally released an android app, though I don't know how good it is. If I can i'm going to try and buy from a place that has returns so just in case it doesn't work out i'm not stuck with it.

The Lumin streamer is primarily an OpenHome (aka UPnP with Linn extensions) supporting device, though I believe it can also be used as a standard UPnP/DLNA streamer. This means that it should be able to be controlled by both OpenHome and standard UPnP controller apps. It's own controller app supports OpenHome only, BTW.

There are several OpenHome controller apps available for Android:

BubbleUPnP (also supports standard UPnP/DLNA),

BubbleDS Next,

Linn Kazoo,

& of course the Lumin app.

You can try any of them quite easily if you have a spare computer (Windows, Mac or Linux) to run a free reference renderer provided by OpenHome.org, the OpenHome Player:

Use

We will win because our NHS is the beating heart of this country. It is the best of this country. It is unconquerable. It is powered by love.

-- Boris Johnson

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

The Lumin streamer is primarily an OpenHome (aka UPnP with Linn extensions) supporting device, though I believe it can also be used as a standard UPnP/DLNA streamer. This means that it should be able to be controlled by both OpenHome and standard UPnP controller apps. It's own controller app supports OpenHome only, BTW.

There are several OpenHome controller apps available for Android:

BubbleUPnP (also supports standard UPnP/DLNA),

BubbleDS Next,

Linn Kazoo,

& of course the Lumin app.

You can try any of them quite easily if you have a spare computer (Windows, Mac or Linux) to run a free reference renderer provided by OpenHome.org, the OpenHome Player:

Use

I am not able to control my Lumin renderer from a standard uPnP controller app.

I can use the Lightning DS and Kazoo though because they are both OH.

Hi Distinctive

Apologies for any confusion, if the Lumin can no longer be controlled by a standard UPnP/DLNA controller. I was only going by this post on the Lumin thread from a few months ago, where one Lumin user was able to control the Lumin with JRiver and remote controlling JRiver with the JRemote app:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/lumin-audiophile-network-music-player-14280/index41.html#post523237

JRiver's built-in control point is standard UPnP only.

John

We will win because our NHS is the beating heart of this country. It is the best of this country. It is unconquerable. It is powered by love.

-- Boris Johnson

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Be surprised. I have been using ONLY JRiver and JRemote with my Lumin A1 and S1 for 2 years now. No reason to go with Android, iPad are good handy device to control your playback.

I don't use the Lumin app except for switching the Lumin off remotely.

By the way, NUC can run JRiver smoothly, no issue.

(Audio)

Be surprised. I have been using ONLY JRiver and JRemote with my Lumin A1 and S1 for 2 years now. No reason to go with Android, iPad are good handy device to control your playback.

I don't use the Lumin app except for switching the Lumin off remotely.

By the way, NUC can run JRiver smoothly, no issue.

(Audio)

I take for granted that it is not in Airplay mode?

I need to chase this further and apologize if what I say is wrong.

Apparently I have not discovered this possibility when using JR.

Edit: I tried it and can confirm that Lumin works as a renderer via JR. What I couldn't see though is that the Lumin could be powered on/off, but this is no big issue for normal operation.

• 2 weeks later...

So I ended up buying a Lumin T1. Will see how it goes. I might eventually have to get an iPad though. I've been testing bubbleupnp android app and It seems OK so far. Thanks for your suggestions guys.

So I ended up buying a Lumin T1. Will see how it goes. I might eventually have to get an iPad though. I've been testing bubbleupnp android app and It seems OK so far. Thanks for your suggestions guys.

Lumin app is also available on Android (7-inch or larger), but it does not support Tidal or Qobuz yet. (iOS version of Lumin app does, and since iPad also has AirPlay it's better for use with Lumin.)

In addition to supporting AirPlay, Lumin also supports JRiver in gapless UPnP playback.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

• 5 months later...

I have tried them all. The current Lumin app using MinimServer with Synology, Qnap, the Lumin L1 2TB media library or even USB & flash drives is, for now, unbeatable. Even Linn is telling their new streamer owners to use the Lumin app. Lumin also licensed their app and streamer board to Esoteric for the Esoteric N-05. Lumin even allows the user to select native, 16 or 24 level bit rates, PCM up-sample levels if desired. Range is 44.1/16 to 32/352 and both PCM to DSD and DSD to PCM conversion. App also natively supports Tidal, Qobuz, Airplay compliance and Internet radio. ROON is bit perfect to 44.1 with Lumin Streaming (via Airplay), but will be updated as a fully integrated package, reportedly by late 2016, early 2017. Lumin engineers came from and work for Pixel Magic Systems Ltd. They are commercial broadcast engineers; they are not consumer electronics engineers. Their app and hardware are built from the ground up. Attached PDF was received from one of their USA dealers and it is very interesting reading.

What Sets Lumin Apart from The Competition 092016.pdf

I have tried them all. The current Lumin app using MinimServer with Synology, Qnap, the Lumin L1 2TB media library or even USB & flash drives is, for now, unbeatable. Even Linn is telling their new streamer owners to use the Lumin app. Lumin also licensed their app and streamer board to Esoteric for the Esoteric N-05. Lumin even allows the user to select native, 16 or 24 level bit rates, PCM up-sample levels if desired. Range is 44.1/16 to 32/352 and both PCM to DSD and DSD to PCM conversion. App also natively supports Tidal, Qobuz, Airplay compliance and Internet radio. ROON is bit perfect to 44.1 with Lumin Streaming (via Airplay), but will be updated as a fully integrated package, reportedly by late 2016, early 2017. Lumin engineers came from and work for Pixel Magic Systems Ltd. They are commercial broadcast engineers; they are not consumer electronics engineers. Their app and hardware are built from the ground up. Attached PDF was received from one of their USA dealers and it is very interesting reading.

What Sets Lumin Apart from The Competition 092016.pdf