IGNORED

DAC/Amp for HD650 - Which one should be bettter?

Honestly, I think you need to start easy, get a *known* bang for your buck. Keeping the DAC and amp separate prevent you from wasting money in the long run. Get a little beefy $100 amp like the Magni and see how you like it using you own mobo DAC first. I'll bet you are rocked by it.

Don't go spending $400-500US without having tried the object or something similar. And study some. If you had viewed the Schiit website you would have seen that the DACs and amps always come separately. The iFi Micro has stunning reviews and has both DAC and amp, *and* is *very* upgradable. But it's $500.

I haven't owned iFi products but several friends swear by them. And I swear by every Schiit product because I've interacted so much with them, and love the Bifrost multibit DAC.

Good luck!

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

• 1 month later...

No amp like the Earmax for the Sennheiser HD600-650. I just spent an hour listening to Mahler's Seventh Symphony: SonicotbiterSE to Audioquest Red to Earmax to Promitheus Audio Transformer buffer to Sennheiser HD600. Sheer audio ecstasy. Don't waste your money on flaky cheap amps, esp. Solid state amps.