IGNORED

Which Beethoven symphonies do you listen to, primarily?

Which ones do you listen to most frequently?  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Very true for myself too. First was 5th, then 9th, 7th, 6th, 8th.

Various symphonies better suit different age of the listener. The same with composers. When I was young I didn't care for Schubert and was listening Mahler, now it is almost vice versa. But, I adored Mozart, then almost abandoned him, now I just love Mozart again. Some composers suit better to different stages of our brain activity development/stagnation?

Absolutely true. You could start a new thread about people's 'journey through composers'. I'd suspect you'd see a general trend where a lot of people start with late-romanticism before they start appreciating the classical and baroque periods, and prefer big-scale orchestral works before getting into chamber-music.

For me, it would look something like this:

Dvorak/Bruch/Brahms concertos -> Tchaikovsky -> Mahler -> Brahms symphonies -> Bruckner/Wagner -> Beethoven -> Bach -> classical/baroque -> Shostakovich/Prokofiev/20th century

As for Beethoven: I started with 5&6 (the late Karajan recording that a lot of people despise but I really like), then 1,3, and 9 and 7. Most listened: 5/6/7, occasionally 9

For me, it would look something like this:

Dvorak/Bruch/Brahms concertos -> Tchaikovsky -> Mahler -> Brahms symphonies -> Bruckner/Wagner -> Beethoven -> Bach -> classical/baroque -> Shostakovich/Prokofiev/20th century

For me it might be: Beethoven/Mozart/Tchaikovsky > Mahler/Brahms/Verdi/20th century > Bach/Bruckner/Wagner > Mozart/Schubert/Beethoven

Please note that I made this a multiple poll, and it is also "public", so if you are bothered by that, please be forewarned!

Could you please give an advice where to find the poll? ;)

At the top of page 1 of the thread.

Unless you are using your phone with the mobile app, in which case you won't see the poll.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 2 weeks later...
For me, the 5th became such a cliché that I find it almost unlistenable.

+1. I keep going back to the 2nd. Sometimes the 4th and the 8th too. I don't care too much for the 1st, and I have exhausted my listening quota for the other ones: they tend to grow on my nerves when I listen to them again, especially the 5th and the 7th, except perhaps if it is a Furtwängler recording, in which case I can suffer an exception, occasionally.

Absolutely true. You could start a new thread about people's 'journey through composers'. I'd suspect you'd see a general trend where a lot of people start with late-romanticism before they start appreciating the classical and baroque periods, and prefer big-scale orchestral works before getting into chamber-music.

+1. This was definitely my journey.