IGNORED

SA-10 DAC / Disc Player, new 'Premium-Series' from Marantz

Their NA-11S1 has 8 fuses :

« The beefy power supply features a high current toroidal power transformer with multiple oxygen free copper (OFC) secondary windings [e.g. supplying various analog and digital circuits separately]' date=' and is housed in a copper-plated enclosure for maximum shielding.[/b'] »

Seemingly, 6 again for SA-11S3 :

I see...but that doesn't answer my question:

Is there a reason for adding six fuses to the circuit?

R

What's the benefit of placing a fuse for each circuit instead of a single one for the whole thing?

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

XL_SA-7S1_inside.jpg

Presumably, those 6 « secondary windings » are each feeding a separate circuit ? SA-7S1 is a Hi-Fi audio product, thus, audio-fidelity benefits ?

What's the benefit of placing a fuse for each circuit instead of a single one for the whole thing?

Let's trust then that they will communicate well for enthusiasts their technologies and engineering behind SA-10 :

Marantz-SA10-1.jpg

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

« Marantz 10 Series won’t be available until next January.

Described by the company as ‘The New Reference’, the £5499 SA-10 SACD/CD player/DAC and £6499 PM-10 amplifier are designed to build on the company’s celebrated SA-7/SC-7/MA-9 system of 12 years back, and are named in honour of the company’s legendary Model 10B tuner, the first source component designed under Saul Marantz.

marantz-sa-10-600px.jpg

The SA-10 has both disc playback and USB input, with format compatibility all the way up to DSD11.2/256 – even with files burned onto data discs, thanks to a new SACDM-3 transport – and upconverts all incoming file formats to DSD11.2 before conversion to analogue.

This process is part of what’s called Marantz Musical Mastering, combining MMM-Stream filtering and upconversion and MMM-Conversion to turn the DSD stream into audio output. It’s the result of a close co-operation between Ishiwata and Marantz designer Rainer Finck, who was part of the original team behind the development of Bitstream conversion at Philips.

marantz-pm-10-600px.jpg

Partnering the player, the PM-10 amplifier has separate preamplifier and dual monobloc amplifier channels, all the way back to power supplies for each, all ‘under one roof’. It uses Marantz HDAMs in the fully-balanced preamp, which includes a high-quality discrete phono stage, and will deliver 200W per channel into an 8ohm load, rising to 400Wpc into 4ohm. »

«

an accurate picture

I see...but that doesn't answer my question:

R

Marantz will be announcing their new line of expensive high end fuses in a few months.

Why, as an anonymous entity, are you in contempt of, above all, the « Site Founder » ?

#28 above :

Remember to keep it civil people.

Does your 5.3 Posts Per Day help ? I remember :

Everyone has your number' date=' no one knows who you are. If your loneliness is abated then you're indeed not alone.[/font']

I

Before you ask why I'm me, look here

«

an accurate picture

"Why, as an anonymous entity, are you in contempt of, above all, the « Site Founder » ?"

He can speak for himself.

How do you know that you're not the one in contempt? I'm willing to bet that all the high quality ,disk hogging pics you keep posting over and over again, is wreaking havoc on his servers.

That said, maybe I should apologize. I didn't realize you would still be upset over my post where I used the word Denon. It was reckless and inconsiderate on my part. I just did it again. Sorry.

You can't force people to argue with you.

I, remembering all the facts that counter your fictions, will only reply when it's to my advantage (in terms of time and effort). For example, this

"Why, as an anonymous entity, are you in contempt of, above all, the « Site Founder » ?"

He can speak for himself.

How do you know that you're not the one in contempt? I'm willing to bet that all the high quality ,disk hogging pics you keep posting over and over again, is wreaking havoc on his servers.

That said, maybe I should apologize. I didn't realize you would still be upset over my post where I used the word Denon. It was reckless and inconsiderate on my part. I just did it again. Sorry.

Later

«

an accurate picture

The SA-10 has both disc playback and USB input' date=' with format compatibility all the way up to DSD11.2/256 – even with files burned onto data discs, thanks to a new SACDM-3 transport – and upconverts all incoming file formats to DSD11.2 before conversion to analogue.[/quote']

File playback including DSD, now that would be a big functional improvement over the past Marantz SACD player models.

File playback, including with the recent SA-14S1, currently means files burned to CD-R (not DVD-R), and the file types are limited to MP3, WMA, and limited to 16/48 resolution maximum. It's a standard file playback built into DVD players since 2005 or so, useless for hifi purposes.

I hope the author of that text doesn't mix up file playback from USB storage and the DAC function through USB, which are different things. The SA14S1 accepts a DSD stream through USB, but doesn't play DSD files.

Claude

I wrote Andrew last night, this morning, his reply :

« No, this author hasn't misunderstood: the new player will play DSD files from both USB and data discs. Thanks to newly-developed transport. »

So, that'll cause general excitement ?

But, quickly, quoting their « "top-down" approach » say of SACDM-3 mech. from initial SA-10 product, price...

3193_103285601074_7874259_n.jpg?oh=595983ecd8f1a0706d0640052e37aabf&oe=57FE01F8&__gda__=1472781789_7e380625ffdcd8f87a9176c80ecdba48

«

an accurate picture

• 2 weeks later...

Of the SACDM-3 mech, adding what I read last week, from Andy Boxall :

« SA-10 SACD/CD player and the PM-10 integrated amplifier, described by Marantz as “a re-invention of the design principles” held by the company, and the result of extensive research and testing. Ken Ishiwata took a special interest in development and tuning of the 10 Series, specifically singling out the all-new disc-transport mechanism on the SA-10, made exclusively for the player, saying that although it was expensive to make, “if we want something special we have to do it.” »

Marantz_2016_10er_Presentation.jpg

AB began :

« “It’s like the voices are floating in the air,” said Ken Ishiwata, renowned high-end audio luminary and brand ambassador for Marantz, as Peter Gabriel finished singing Rhythm of the Heat. He was selecting the music to demonstrate the new Marantz Premium 10 Series amp and CD player, and his description put into very simple words, a quite astonishing effect. Despite there being only two Bowers & Wilkins speakers in front of us, the soundstage produced was so expansive, you’d swear there were three times that amount... »

«

an accurate picture

• 1 month later...

I've only just now found this 12min40sec upload of Ken's presentation from June's European Dealer Conference—briefly, to summarise, it conveys 10 Series' creation as his personal testament, lifelong musical and technological knowhow, 40yrs at Marantz...

N.B. Camcorder-recording, in dimmed lighting, wasn't ideal... But I trust, anyhow, only those who are truly keen will try to watch :D

«

an accurate picture

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Images found from Japanese reporting :

004.jpg

Digital audio board is encapsulated in copper-plated shield case.

010.jpg

017.jpg

Equipped also with a digital-isolator in the interior of the MMM. When using USB-B, SA-10 has therefore adopted the digital-isolator at two places in total.018.jpg

Release, said to begin late October for domestic-Japan

«

an accurate picture

Simply' date=' if you've a SA-11S3, it'll affect what I should say.[/font']

Well, I do not have a SA-11S3 and I am looking right now for a CD/SACD player with an inboard DAC that will be good enough to also act as my main USB DAC for my filer server.

And the DAC inside need to be a little on the warm side: Indeed, I have a BHSE amp + Stax SR009 headphone that is VERY relealling but also some time too analytical to the point that it can be fatiguing. Therefore I am looking for a DAC that will be very precise & detailled BUT also on the warm side to warm-up a little the Sound signature of the Stax009.

PS: I was told that the DAC in the SA10 is built discrete not chip based. Is it correct ?