IGNORED

Need to upgrade

Im driving my speakers with yamaha rx-a2040. I want a long, good upgrade so im willing to spend a lot

I been trying to read on here. I have it narrowed down to mcintosh C47; Marantz seperates;ARCAM C49 with a P45; These are the main brands that carry at my local audio store. Im very open to any of those brands but consider other option.

What are you hoping to accomplish in upgrading from what you have? Or is something broken on it and it's not worth fixing?

Just something thats going to be for 2 channel setup and will last for a very long time and bring good quality.

My current AVR is going to be used in another system.

I only have experience with 1 amp and it's Marantz. It sounds good to me and I've not had a single bit of problem out of it. Its the PM8004. It's an integrated amp so it has a preamp and phono stage in it. It's 170watts and it pushes a pair of Klipsch floor standers no issue. I've had it for about 5 years.

If I am anything, I am a music lover and a pragmatist.

OP, you should think about amp in concert with the speakers that they will be paired with. Low efficiency and low impedance speakers will require a more powerful amp. If the speakers are very efficient, other aspects of the amps design and sonic profile will affect your results.

If you are limited where you live to those brands, I'd recommend traveling and listen elsewhere before deciding, to an audio show if possible. You haven't scratched the surface of possibilities with those brands, though I have nothing against them.

Have you considered a tube integrated amp?

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

What kind of speakers do you have?

How big is your room?

What kind of music do you listen to?

What qualities are important to you?

What qualities do you need to avoid?

Have you actually done any listening?

I'll suggest something different.

https://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/xmc-1

This is a 7.2 channel preamp. It works wonderfully even for stereo. Does DA conversion, AD conversion, streaming over the internet or home network. The big plus is Dirac room correction software included. A nice sounding unit I have experience with. You can move into multi-channel in the future if you wish, or if not stick with stereo. Pair with amps you have or other amps (I would suggest adding a good class D amp to it), and you will have a heck of a system. If not future proof, at least future resistant. $2499.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I only have experience with 1 amp and it's Marantz. It sounds good to me and I've not had a single bit of problem out of it. Its the PM8004. It's an integrated amp so it has a preamp and phono stage in it. It's 170watts and it pushes a pair of Klipsch floor standers no issue. I've had it for about 5 years.

I love the Marantz sound. But 170 watts? Marantz lists this as 70x2 watts into 8ohm and 100x2 watts into 4 ohms. It may be an issue for some hard to drive speakers.

mQa is dead!

No experience with the gear you mentioned, but if I were looking for something new along those lines, I would include the JOB INTegrated amp which is actually a preamp, DAC & power amp combo unit for $1700. Just run a USB cable from your computer to the JOB then speaker cables from the JOB to your speakers and call it a day.

I am guessing you have never seen this unit before but I have found that small niche firms can create really great equipment for a reasonable price. I have never heard one of these units but in general JOB products get really good reviews. They do have a return policy although not a very good one so beware.

I just got a used Legacy Audio Focus SE, eventually id like to own 800 Diamond D2: Room is 30'x18'; classical and rock, I heard the Mcintosh stuff but not the C47.

I would like to know too if the C47 is a good buy or not. ( I know there is a lot of markup for the brand) I can't find much online.

I just got a used Legacy Audio Focus SE, eventually id like to own 800 Diamond D2: Room is 30'x18'; classical and rock, I heard the Mcintosh stuff but not the C47.

I would like to know too if the C47 is a good buy or not. ( I know there is a lot of markup for the brand) I can't find much online.

Isn't the C-47 just a preamp? What you are thinking for an amp to pair with the C-47?

As for a price reference, Crutchfield shows $4,000 for the C-47.

Isn't the C-47 just a preamp? What you are thinking for an amp to pair with the C-47?

As for a price reference, Crutchfield shows $4,000 for the C-47.

I was just going to reply the same thing (grin).

I love my McIntosh (MC152) and would highly recommend to anyone, but mine was $4200 and is just an amp....i was like what kind of mcintosh amp is he thinking of...then i saw it is only a preamp (grin).

They do make a mA5200 though for $4500 that is an integrated with dac....i opted for the MC152 (AMP ONLY, albeit hi-fi world best amp of 2016).

Do you know you will only want 2 channel stereo, with never any chance of adding more channels later? Makes a difference, i see several recommendations above for AVR's or multi-channel amps which if you aren't going to use the extra circuitry, it would probably make more sense to buy something that doesn't, to get the most bang for your buck.

I would love for you to try one of those class d amps that Jud always talks about, just to hear a good unbiased review from someone that had one for length of time (Jud said he just listened for short time i believe). If i wasn't so excited about mcintosh, i might have given one a shot....I came really close to buying one.

I was just going to reply the same thing (grin).

I love my McIntosh (MC152) and would highly recommend to anyone, but mine was $4200 and is just an amp....i was like what kind of mcintosh amp is he thinking of...then i saw it is only a preamp (grin).

They do make a mA5200 though for $4500 that is an integrated with dac....i opted for the MC152 (AMP ONLY, albeit hi-fi world best amp of 2016).

Yeah I was thinking of the MC152, I thought that would go nice with the C47

But i have an EMOTIVA XPA2 that i would use with the C47 or whatever I buy as a temporary or permanent solution depending on the sound of the two paired together; then later get a different AMP.

A pre amp is my main focus right now.

Source: Macbook

Tons of comments re: McIntosh gear on Audiogon

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

I always wanted Mcintosh but I'm kind of thinking of buying it but was just wondering if someone was going to chime in and say its trash and overprice = ]

Absolutely not trash! So smooth sounding. I am not a fan of the look (hidden in a closet), but I bought it purely for the sound.

Some of the stuff you are looking here is fairly expensive. If you want to buy something that will last a long time, you really need to build a system and not buy components. To start with, is there a system that you've heard that sounds good enough to where you can say that it would make you happy? If so, list it even if its out of your price range. You may be able to find some lower priced alternatives. If you don't have a system you can use as a reference, you can't expect to be successful. Reading reviews and hoping for the best won't cut it.

I don't have lots of experience with the stuff, But i do know I enjoy the McIntosh but i know you are paying a lot for the look. I have heard a system at a local store that sounded awesome it was 803D3 with (601) mono blocks and i think the C52 pre amp.

I figure the C47 would be good way to entry the McIntosh world without really emptying out the bank account. Just wanted others opinions on it to see if I'm missing something because i don't have really that much experience with this.

Agree that audioclassics.com is the de facto McIntosh refurb expert. You could invest a lot less than $4k on an older model and get most of what you are looking for. Then invest the rest in an amp upgrade.

Matching an amp to those speakers is important. From TAS review "I should note, however, that the exceptional bass response I mentioned only came through with a solid-state amplifier with a relatively high damping factor; the bass was less tight with even a relatively powerful tube amp. (Legacy recommends amplifiers with damping factors of 40 and above.) " The Emotiva will be okay in the interim, but if you can home demo better amps, you will probably be able to find something you like much better.

Agree that audioclassics.com is the de facto McIntosh refurb expert. You could invest a lot less than $4k on an older model and get most of what you are looking for. Then invest the rest in an amp upgrade.

Matching an amp to those speakers is important. From TAS review "I should note, however, that the exceptional bass response I mentioned only came through with a solid-state amplifier with a relatively high damping factor; the bass was less tight with even a relatively powerful tube amp. (Legacy recommends amplifiers with damping factors of 40 and above.) " The Emotiva will be okay in the interim, but if you can home demo better amps, you will probably be able to find something you like much better.

Im kinda of looking for something that would sound good with many different brands of speaker. I plan on buying a pre amp / amp that will last me a good time but I will probably be buying/ selling speaker on a yearly basis.

I know I would get a better deal on used McIntosh gear but I would rather get new if I can but i'll keep my eyes open to see if i catch anything of interest. thanks

I would consider a new pre amp and used AMP

Since you already have an XPA-2 why not consider an Emotiva XSP-1?

Family Room: Panny TCP65S2, Panny BDP-55, DTV HR-24, SB Touch, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Yamaha RX-V3900, Emotiva XPA-3, Rocket NM 550's, Rocket 150's, X-CS, UFW-10, Harmony 700.

Computer Room: Dell laptop, Uptone Regen Amber, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Decware SE84C+, Zu Omen, ALO National, Mr.Speakers Mad Dog headphones