IGNORED

Sonore uRendu "Fact or Fiction"

@tboooe - So I urge caution here, as this is not necessarily the desired platform for RoonServer.

That being said, I run it on a Synology 1812+.

That means an Intel D2700 Atom processor, Dual Core, 2.13 Ghz with 3 GBs of RAM.

Limitations I have found with this setup, search in Roon is slow, 3-6 seconds. Library indexing is slower than say a 2012 Mac Mini. I have challenges playing back DSD128 files. Though others with the same processor on an 1813+ but an extra GB of memory have no such issues.

Ideally you would want to review Roon recommendations, amount of memory required will vary based on your music collection size.

In example I have 2600 albums, 32,000 tracks. I can playback 24/192 and DSD64 files with no issues.

But I do again advise consulting to Roon forums before making any financial commitments.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Do you have Roon and HQPlayer running on the same device? I ask as I notice you have a Synology NAS. Have you tried running the latest version of ROON (build 1.2) from the NAS, and having HQPlayer running solo on the PC? It makes quite a major sonic improvement by some margin....and allows HQPlayer all the breathing space on the PC to work its magic on the output before your Dac. Or in your case the Urendu and then your Dac.

Interesting...thanks for the recommendation.

I have not tried this and need to do this.

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

Interesting...thanks for the recommendation.

I have not tried this and need to do this.

There is an interesting thread covering the models of NAS that Roon does work on,covered on the Roon forum

To put in context The Model I use is the Synology DS415+, I have increased the RAM from 2Gb to 8Gb. I have a 500 Gb SSD drive in a spare bay as a second volume on which Roon is running. Easily competes with a Mac Mini.....browsing, searching results are as good as the Mac. I have tested Roon on standard HDD on a NAS and whilst search and artwork is slower than the Mac. The results were acceptable, for the gain in SQ having Roon separate from HQPlayer on the Mac mini.

as Baddog says above, check on the Roon forum as to what the recommendations are, before investing further in this approach. In my case it was very much worth it.

ER / Geisman OXCO / Grimm MU1  / Dutch & Dutch 8C / Townshend Seismic Isolation

HP - SMSL Sanskrit 10th A’ , Woo Audio WA5 LE, Hifiman HEK v2

Than you three.

I aim to do some more reading on this. At this time I am planning to change the drive to SSD, take the fans out, go passive and then go Roon on the NAS with the Micro Rendu fathering the music.

Hopefully happy days.

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

There is an interesting thread covering the models of NAS that Roon does work on,covered on the Roon forum

To put in context The Model I use is the Synology DS415+, I have increased the RAM from 2Gb to 8Gb. I have a 500 Gb SSD drive in a spare bay as a second volume on which Roon is running. Easily competes with a Mac Mini.....browsing, searching results are as good as the Mac. I have tested Roon on standard HDD on a NAS and whilst search and artwork is slower than the Mac. The results were acceptable, for the gain in SQ having Roon separate from HQPlayer on the Mac mini.

I am interested in getting Synology DS415+ but I see there are two fans at the back. Would you be able to tell how silent are those ? Can it be kept in the audio room or does it have to be further away for the fan noise ?

I am interested in getting Synology DS415+ but I see there are two fans at the back. Would you be able to tell how silent are those ? Can it be kept in the audio room or does it have to be further away for the fan noise ?

I'll be helping a friend set one up over Memorial Day weekend, so I'll know the answer then. I suspect, though, that you'd want it out of the listening room or in a closet.

I currently have a two-bay Thunderbolt enclosure in my listening room, with just one fan, smaller than the ones in the DS415+, and despite some noise-deadening modifications, that thing is not really quiet enough.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

When my apt mate moved out, - he picked up a Synology NAS to replace the IoMega we had. It could very well be a "down-model" from the one that you're referring to. He wasn't happy with 512 MB of RAM, noisy fan, cheap plastic case... slow response from a large library....

My decision to drop a lot of money on my QNAP was influenced highly be what I didn't like about the Synology. (I don't recall if it has 2 fans or one).

As I'm hearing reports about Roon Server working well on Synology, I'm glad that I dropped some extra money on the QNAP.

Cheers,

What is the best NAS today to run Roon core and still be quiet and can be kept in the audio room ? Does one exist ? I can't have RJ45 connection out of the audio room to some other room - it only works wirelessly. I have a fanless caps which can re-purposed to a windows or a linux based file server with a large 4tb spinning drive to hold the music and run roon core from there. But before I go that route, I need to know if I can or cannot get the job done with a proper nas. any thoughts ?

Hi,

I wish that I would've tested the QNAP one that has no fans and is a 1 rack unit type NAS HS 251. It was a lot more expensive though, and I wanted to max out the RAM. Although I installed the RAM myself and it was easy, - the flat, 1 RACK unit HS 251 looks like it'd be a PITA to install RAM, - but maybe not.

I think that people are installing Roon Server, & not Roon Core on the Synology. I don't want to build a virtual machine on my QNAP, - so I'll just wait till more people have it. I can't imagine it taking too much longer. I also (i guess erroneously) thought that Synology used QNAP's Linux based software, - QTS. Perhaps I am too unreasonably biased, but I will never buy a Synology product.

EDIT: The QNAP TS 251+ fans are pretty darn quiet, but I also have it located in another room, in a cabinet. My consideration of the HS 251+ was to possibly also take advantage of the direct video playback feature: but I also want to keep it "pure" for best audio quality.

The DS415+ that I use is in my office study, away from the hi-fi room. But the fans are really quiet, unless the NAS is working really really hard. You would be hard pressed to hear them. I compared the Synology with a Readynas NV+ and noise wise it's like.....is the Synology switched on....?? You just don't hear it.

Maybe I'm missing the point, but why on earth would anyone want to put Roon Core on a NAS?

Maybe I'm missing the point, but why on earth would anyone want to put Roon Core on a NAS?

Same reason why one might elect to run UPnP software like MinimServer on a NAS:

Just a single machine running that serves up music to endpoints.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I understand better sound! The holy grail.

Also question to all.

Does installing HQP on memory offer sonic advantage after having the room server on the NAS?

I think for folks who already have a NAS with a powerful enough processor and enough RAM, it's a way to avoid having another computer just to run Roon Server.

Maybe I'm the only one who views this as an issue, but just because a NAS can run Roon Server v1.2 today, that doesn't mean it won't have problems running Roon 2.x in 18 months or whatever. The Roon guys have already mentioned wanting to add much more extensive DSP capabilities. Just thought I'd bring this up — I do think it's cool that people have figured out how to get Roon Server running on a bunch of different NASes.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Same reason why one might elect to run UPnP software like MinimServer on a NAS:

Just a single machine running that serves up music to endpoints.

But you can already do that just by running Roon Server....serving up music to end points. You don't need to run Roon Core with the additional overhead involved??

But you can already do that just by running Roon Server....serving up music to end points. You don't need to run Roon Core with the additional overhead involved??

Yes but Core needs to run somewhere. Having it run on the NAS eliminates the need to have another computer running.

https://roonlabs.com/howroonworks.html

Presently I have Core running on a Mac Pro. I could shut this down if it were running on my NAS instead.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

No more than saying your current MAC or Win machine will potentially have the same problems running Roon version 2. xxx? All platforms can/will become obsolete with advances in software processing requirements....it's called progress.....

certainly the reason I went with the NAS route for running Roon, was in the first instance to see if it could be done, and secondly to split out the HQPlayer functionality, both functions (Roon and HQP) being originally performed on a single machine. And the plus side, it makes a further improvement to the sound quality, increased soundstage and dynamics (the sound quality improvement was a surprise to me)

The Roon server consists of Roon core and audio output. On a NAS, you really want to run this and not the entire Roon package which comes with the control point as well along with core and audio out.

Another way to do this with a NAS would be you use a PC which could potentially run the entire Roon package and smb mount the NAS drives. Running Roon core/server in a NAS would eliminate the need for an intermediate PC.

Bottomline is you need a CPU to run the Roon server.

I have Roon Server running on my NAS.....It contains the core without the Gui elements....I control it with the IPad. Think we are just getting stuck in symantics. Two downloadable versions....Roon and Roon server....they both contain the core, just Roon server is headless without a gui overhead.

my original response was the response to Albrechts post #86

"I think that people are installing Roon Server, & not Roon Core on the Synology"

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone tried a variety of PSU's and have thoughts. I preferred the JS-2 over the stock iFI PSU.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.