André Gosselin

Native DSD versus DOP comparison

Rate this topic

Thanks guys!

You have all been very helpful to a novice like me. A lot better than some of the other threads on this forum where questions do not even elicit a single response.

I have also been trying to understand the difference between DoP and Native DSD. I also keep hearing the term DXD being bandied about especially in conjunction with dCS Ring DAC's.

I was always under the impression that DoP is basically DSD in a PCM wrapper and sonically identical. It appears from this thread that it isn't.

My streamer, an Auralic Aries says it does DSD up to 256 natively via USB BUT on the Processor Setup page, under Resampler Configuration, it says DoP for DSD64 and DSD128. There do not seem to be other selectable options

My DAC is a PS Audio Direct Stream which says it accepts DSD natively up to DSD128 via USB but when I play tracks via the Auralic Aries it shows DoP on the front panel.

I am guessing this means I have been playing DoP and NOT native DSD.

What am I doing wrong and what can I do to play DSD natively?

Thanks

25 minutes ago, mikey8811 said:

I was always under the impression that DoP is basically DSD in a PCM wrapper and sonically identical. It appears from this thread that it isn't.

Your original understanding is correct.  The only difference is the wrapper, not the DSD data. Once the package is accepted by the USB input on the DAC, it is processed the same way as non DoP DSD. If someone says they are sonically different, let them prove it (hint: they can't).

And again: DoP DSD is "native DSD". The DSD itself hasn't been altered. The term is incorrectly used by some to try and make it sound like not using DoP is superior and different. Non native DSD is supposed to mean DSD that's been altered by conversion to PCM , or possibly multibit DSD (point of contention), which is what many forms of playback/processing do to DSD. This has nothing to do with the DSD file being sent as DoP or not. 

some help: http://help.nativedsd.com/en/articles/63529-getting-started-playing-dsd-and-dxd-files

https://www.northstar.it/dsd-native-vs-dop/

https://dsd-guide.com/dop-open-standard

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

8 hours ago, mikey8811 said:

My streamer, an Auralic Aries says it does DSD up to 256 natively via USB BUT on the Processor Setup page, under Resampler Configuration, it says DoP for DSD64 and DSD128. There do not seem to be other selectable options

That is because the DoP wrapper adds to the bulk of the data transmission.  Putting DSD64 or DSD128 into DoP practically doubles the size of the package being transmitted.  As a result, putting DSD256 into a DoP package exceeds the bandwidth that the Auralic will support even though "native" unpackaged DSD256 does not.

Kal Rubinson

Music in the Round

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile