IGNORED

Native DSD versus DOP comparison

Thanks for those important infos. Is there a link explaining the "maths/physics" behind those numbers ? They remind me of the advice that transcoding a DSD64 to PCM is best done at a 176.4 frequency, DSD128 at twice that frequency, etc. (advice coming from minimserver author who has implemented such a trancoding possibility in his excellent software).

Isn't there a small (or not so small) overhead inside the DAC (as opposed to the external music server) to recover the DSD signal from its DOP "camouflage" and which could impact SQ ?

Thanks

There is no reason to believe that unpacking (in the DAC) DoP would require anymore processing power than packing it (in the server) requires, and as I have mentioned, packing it requires virtually nothing in terms of processing power. There are no conversions involved or fancy maths (unlike digital filtering/oversampling), it is simple stuff.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

My point was that there are many DACs that support DoP via digital inputs, for example SPDIF inputs (like Chord, etc). I wondered where the marker was read in that signal path.

Ted, there are only a small handful of DACs which allow DoP over SPDIF, like Chord. As these companies are also ones who typically do things their own way, I suspect that one would have to inquire directly with them.

In any case, the actual processing required to unpack DSD is virtuually nil, no matter where it is done. creating I2S for the DAC out of a USB stream, for example in a USB receiver) requires so much more activity (100s of times more) that it is absurd in the extreme to suggest that unpacking DoP will have any effect whatsoever. Additionally, this is just another reason why manufacturers should use isolated USB receivers (from the DAC chip), to qualm somewhat crazy audiophile fears.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Sorry for the "many" but our database has 40, and I have experienced it on several (yes, I do mean several) dacs inhouse, including 4 Chords, 3 Myteks, an MSB and one or two others. DACs like Chord, Mytek and MSB are pretty popular around here. So, no, I was not being hyperbolic.

Hey Ted, no worries, that is actually a lot more than I was aware of!

SONORE computer audio