IGNORED

Native DSD versus DOP comparison

• 1 year later...
45 minutes ago, mikey8811 said:

A friend sent me a 5 channel rip of the earlier Yuko Mabuchi Live SACD in DSF files.

My streamer seems to have downmixed it into 2 channel. Other than the files being large, am I losing any fidelity or sonic quality with my streamer downmixing it into stereo? Should I ask my friend to rerip it into 2 channel for me?

Thanks

I'd say it's likely your streamer downmix won't sound as good as a "proper" 2 channel mix, if the SACD has such a layer. Usually these 5 channel to two channel algorithms do some funny stuff to the result. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, mikey8811 said:

Can I use the 5 channel .dsf files and convert them into 2 channel? Is there a free programme or app that does it?

Thanks

There are but they sound like stereo with some, shall I say, "sound effects" added. Will just sound odd.  If the SACD has a stereo layer, just ask him to rip that for you.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

25 minutes ago, mikey8811 said:

I was always under the impression that DoP is basically DSD in a PCM wrapper and sonically identical. It appears from this thread that it isn't.

Your original understanding is correct.  The only difference is the wrapper, not the DSD data. Once the package is accepted by the USB input on the DAC, it is processed the same way as non DoP DSD. If someone says they are sonically different, let them prove it (hint: they can't).

And again: DoP DSD is "native DSD". The DSD itself hasn't been altered. The term is incorrectly used by some to try and make it sound like not using DoP is superior and different. Non native DSD is supposed to mean DSD that's been altered by conversion to PCM , or possibly multibit DSD (point of contention), which is what many forms of playback/processing do to DSD. This has nothing to do with the DSD file being sent as DoP or not. 

some help: http://help.nativedsd.com/en/articles/63529-getting-started-playing-dsd-and-dxd-files

https://www.northstar.it/dsd-native-vs-dop/

https://dsd-guide.com/dop-open-standard