IGNORED

Native DSD versus DOP comparison

What about the processing required to unpack at the USB receiving interface, which means processing near the DAC chip most of the time?

Is the DoP marker/flag read at the USB receiver? If so you make a great point. Where is the marker read when DoP arrives via SPDIF, for example?

Doesn't DSD require SDIF rather than SPDIF?

My point was that there are many DACs that support DoP via digital inputs, for example SPDIF inputs (like Chord, etc). I wondered where the marker was read in that signal path.

Sorry for the "many" but our database has 40, and I have experienced it on several (yes, I do mean several) dacs inhouse, including 4 Chords, 3 Myteks, an MSB and one or two others. DACs like Chord, Mytek and MSB are pretty popular around here. So, no, I was not being hyperbolic.

• 3 years later...
Just now, mikey8811 said:

OK my friend has gotten the stereo tracks of that SACD in DSF files for me.

Problem is they are DSD256 but my DAC can handle only up to DSD128.

I understand TEAC has a free converter programme. If I use it to convert the DSD256 DSF files to DSD128 DSF files will it also do something funny?

I just didn't want to bother my friend and have him rerip the files again.

He won't need to rerip the files cuz they are DSD64 (SACD native).  For whatever reason he sent you remodulated files in DSD256.  His orginal files from the ISO are DSD64.

Just now, Chopin75 said:

Yah, SACD are all DSD64. so there is no way to have a DSD256 rip from it. 

If he got Bob's files from our NativeDSD site then yes they could be the original DSD256's from the Merging-based recording....but that's not what the OP said.

Just now, Kal Rubinson said:
39 minutes ago, mikey8811 said:

But just for my education, if they were original DSD256's, downsampling them to DSD128 so I can play them will not result in a loss of fidelity?

No, especially since it contains only DSD64 data.

Kal, he is asking if the files originated from NativeDSD DSD256 downloads (the originals) and not the SACD rip (which is of course DSD64) would downsampling (bad term) them to DSD128 reduce the quality at all.  The answer would be an oversimplified yes (but don't worry about it too much, especially if your dac can only do DSD128 max).

• 11 months later...

DXD is not a disc format, it is a marketing term for 24 bit PCM recorded or transferred at 352.8k or 384k.  There is no disc that houses that.  It (DXD) was created, initially, to provide those with DSD masters a high resolution enough PCM container to do editing in PCM, with the thought that the resultant edited recording would be re-transferred back to DSD.  When DXD is used as the original recorded format it is often released as original PCM, too.  But I have never heard of a DXD disc.  ?

4 minutes ago, 992Sam said:

I will have to wait to get back to the store, but a quick google search turned this up..  (recorded in DXD format)

https://www.stenheim.com/shop/charl-du-plessis-trio

That's a cd, regardless of what sample rate it was recorded at.   You'd be better off getting a download of the original 24/352.8k files (assuming your dac can play them), but I understand you want to hold discs.  Sorry.

• 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, HenryOHenry said:

1) My Grace SDACB supports PCM up to 384 kHz. Does that mean it can play DXD downloads from the Native DSD website? 

2) My DAC is not listed on Native DSD, apparently because it cannot play DSD natively even though it does play DSD. Is it likely that the DSD sound is being degraded by the DAC? The files I’ve downloaded from the website still sound wonderful, though, with two exceptions...

3) The exceptions are the two Reference Recordings files I bought, one in 256, the other in 128. Specifically, these are Honeck conducting Bruckner’s 9th and Beethoven’s 3rd, respectively.

My DAC says it can play DSD up to 256. It is connected to a 2017 MacBook Pro via USB, and it is feeding the signal to a THX AAA 789 amp. Nevertheless, to test if my setup can handle 256, I downloaded both the free 256 sampler and the 256 version of Raizes. They both played fine, so I decided to buy the 256 Honeck Bruckner 9. The file sounds like a CD skipping.

Thinking the problem was that my DAC was having problems playing 256 (even though it can handle the other 256 files perfectly), I made sure to buy the 128 version of the Honeck Beethoven 3. But same problem!

What is odd is that I now have 11 downloads from Native DSD and all the files from other labels play perfectly, whether they are 64, 128, or 256. I’m only having problems with the one label (Reference Recordings). Any thoughts as to what might be happening?

1) Yes, DXD is within the parameters of your DAC specs, so it is capable of playing our DXD downloads.

2) Not sure why the Grace SDAC Balanced is not on there, but it may not have been updated for awhile (the original idea was to create a DSD dac database, back in 2011, when there were few of them.  Now, it's easier to flag those that don't play DSD :) )  I will check further.

3) Please send a note to Jonas at Native.  He will check with the label.  I have no idea why other files play fine (you are lucky to be getting DSD256 via Mac cuz often the Mac driver is only capable of half that speed).  I will ask him also to check. 

• 2 weeks later...

HenryOHenry, thanks for clearing that up, and being proactive about clearing any NativeDSD misconceptions.  That was nice of you.

I am not convinced it is your dac, but maybe rather MacOS.  I bet these tracks do fine in Windows or Linux, where DoP overhead is not needed.  Unless, of course, you need a dac excuse  :)  I've always enjoyed coming up with them  :)

Ted