IGNORED

Power supplies and cables - observations, considerations & commentary

Battery pack just arrived from Amazon and I have to say it did make a big improvement over the IFi. I don't have any noise in my main system (microrendu>yggy) but my headphone system (microrendu>mojo) did have a buzz that is now gone. Guess I am going to have to splurge on a couple of LPS-1s. Wonder how quick these batteries are going to run down. I'm guessing it won't be long.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F3QEUCO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just care about your battery and you'll be fine. Do not drain the battery completely at any time. Always charge it after each use and you will enjoy it much longer! A charge cycle is measured from fully charged to totally drained. If you charge it after -10% drain you will still have 1\9 of a cycle left....but if you charge it after a full cyrcle you'll lost it all. Go figure! :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

🎛️  Audio System  

Or a total new box that combine the MicroRendu and the LPS-1 :)

And also a box that combine two LPS-1 in order to get higher voltages. Or maybe the possibility to purchase only LPS-1 boards, if that can save enough money.

OR one inside the Vinnie Rossi MINI.

Ultracapacitor Power Supplies are coming (PURE-DC-4EVR: the MINI and the MEGA) !

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I measured between 400 and 500 mA during boot at 7V, that was the max I have measured.

I have not tried every mode with all sample rates to see if the player mode goes above that, but every configuration I tried was around 200mA for playing music.

To these numbers you have to add whatever the DAC pulls from the bus.

John S.

This mean that there is plenty of power left for other sources as well. (As I don't have a USB powered DAC )

Do you see any problem with using a Y-splitter to feed other items ?

Like could other items potentially pollute the DC feed into the MicroRendu ?

I will use a Y-splitt to feed hiFace EVO. (Maybe even triple, to feed the EVO clock also).

I've got a simple system chain also: Qnap 251 with Roon Server > mRendu > Peachtree Audio 220se > GoldenEar Triton Ones

I'm looking to replace the Qnap with a fanless sonicTransporter i5 running Roon Server (with onboard SSD storage built in too)

Why replace the Qnap? Expect better SQ ?

You may prioritize a LPS-1 :)

Intel NUC & sonicTransporter: A Tale Of Two Mini Computers Running Roon Core | AudioStream

If you do, I'm very interested in the result, as I use Qnap myself.

Intel NUC & sonicTransporter: A Tale Of Two Mini Computers Running Roon Core | AudioStream

Fanless and I love the minimalist OS and UI of the microRendu which is the same for the sonicOrbiter. More powerful for future Roon Server upgrades too. My sonicT i5 arrives next week. I'll update people after I've played with it. LPS-1 is already on order to power the microRendu. My Qnaps linear PSU will be fine with the sonicT i5 also.

Sent from my Blackberry DTEK50 using Tapatalk

Btw the sonicT i5 (with 4TB SSD internal storage) and the LPS-1 for microRendu will be "it" for upgrades for me for a good few years (my bank account hopes). I might need to log off from this forum so I don't get any product updates from Uptone Audio or Sonore or Small Green Computer LOL. Those guys make seriously good stuff.

I just came back from a Chester HiFi show here in Melbourne Australia. I still love CD's and SACD'S (and vinyl) but I couldn't believe how few computer sources there were. Are we a minority here at Computer Audiophile or is the retail world out of touch with how so many people listen to music now?

Anyway that's for a different thread lol

Sent from my Blackberry DTEK50 using Tapatalk

61ef067607e09e028facd4d7556f18cf.jpg

I want to replace my 6x NiMh AA batteries with a proper battery pack and charger. For the best SQ would you recommend a NiMh accu pack

161023 prtscreen002.jpg

or a LiPo accu pack?

161023 prtscreen001.jpg

I'm not familiar with using a LiPo accu pack. It seems to be more of a hassle charging and getting the connectors right.

Thanks

I am still working on the SQ difference as LPS-1 has only been powered for three days. Does anyone have techniques for determining minor differences in SQ ?

Thanks! *Haha* I get your point! ;) I was just curious as several using battery supplies have posted that they heard big improvements with LPS-1...but it is difficult to know how "battery optimized" their setups was to begin with. IMHO battery supply should'nt be mixed with SMPS or LPS in the same setup. Just battery supplies (disconnected) & AC.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

🎛️  Audio System  

This mean that there is plenty of power left for other sources as well. (As I don't have a USB powered DAC )

Do you see any problem with using a Y-splitter to feed other items ?

Like could other items potentially pollute the DC feed into the MicroRendu ?

I will use a Y-splitt to feed hiFace EVO. (Maybe even triple, to feed the EVO clock also).

Using a Y cable is fine as long as the LPS-1 can handle the total current load. Try it and see if the LED goes flashing red, if so, you are pulling too much current.

The only potential issue with the Y cable is you might wind up shorting some isolation, for example powering a microRendu and a DAC with builtin isolation, but since the LPS-1 is blocking leakage currents anyway, it should not be a problem. I do this in my system, LPS-1 and Y cable powering both microRendu and DAC.

John S.

My Paul Hynes SR3 arrived today after a short delay of a couple of weeks.

It looks well built in a nice box, and the 'fine silver' DC lead looks nicely made with a very fine 3-wire weave of twisted pair type arrangement of some sort - clear insulation shows the silver off which is a nice touch. There's a blue LED light underneath too which never hurts IMO.

It's plugged in and running, and out of the box my initial reaction is there's little separating it from the ifi - certainly nothing life changing - but to be fair I'm not really in a position to listen 'critically' tonight. Will report back once I've got a few more thoughts to share.

Roon lifetime > Mac Mini > ethernet > microRendu (RAAT) w/ Paul Hynes SR3 > Intona > Curious USB link > Devialet 250 Pro > PMC fact 8.

My Paul Hynes SR3 arrived today after a short delay of a couple of weeks.

It looks well built in a nice box, and the 'fine silver' DC lead looks nicely made with a very fine 3-wire weave of twisted pair type arrangement of some sort - clear insulation shows the silver off which is a nice touch. There's a blue LED light underneath too which never hurts IMO.

It's plugged in and running, and out of the box my initial reaction is there's little separating it from the ifi - certainly nothing life changing - but to be fair I'm not really in a position to listen 'critically' tonight. Will report back once I've got a few more thoughts to share.

Its fair to say that opinions vary on equipment burn in, but there is some science to suggest that capacitors do change in performance from new, so your Paul Hynes (which relies heavily on capacitors) may not be capable of it's full magic yet. My advise would be to leave it powered up an running for a couple of weeks and not worry about it, in fact you sometimes spot things in the sound when you are not trying to hard, so forgetting about it can be a good idea. After two or three weeks, you could then try a switch back to the iFi, I find it's sometimes easier to spot those subtle improvements when you take them away!

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

Thanks Confused. Yeah I'm on the fence about burn-in (well I know the process happens as I've experienced it but think it might be more 'brain' than electronics) but for now it's just playing away and I'll swap the ifi back in at some point. I've also removed the Intona for now to give it a more direct connection (curious Regen link).

One thing Paul Hynes does, which is very nice (when you finally get the unit), is give you a generous evaluation period 'to let it settle'. Again, whether he means the electronics or the human factors, I'm not sure. :)

Roon lifetime > Mac Mini > ethernet > microRendu (RAAT) w/ Paul Hynes SR3 > Intona > Curious USB link > Devialet 250 Pro > PMC fact 8.

Jason, what V will you get for the VR mini on your uRendu?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Using a Y cable is fine as long as the LPS-1 can handle the total current load. Try it and see if the LED goes flashing red, if so, you are pulling too much current.

The only potential issue with the Y cable is you might wind up shorting some isolation, for example powering a microRendu and a DAC with builtin isolation, but since the LPS-1 is blocking leakage currents anyway, it should not be a problem. I do this in my system, LPS-1 and Y cable powering both microRendu and DAC.

John S.

The MicroRendu seems to be quite powerful. Now power the following 4 devices frome one LPS-1

MicroRendu

hiFace EVO

hiFace clock

one FMC 10/100

...and it's hot. :)

How about adding 2 or 3, or even 4 DC connectors in next revision ot the LPS-1 ?

• 3 weeks later...

Uptone LPS-1 power for both Sonore Microrendu and TP Link FMC. I contacted Alex at Uptone and he recommended i try a Y-connector on the Uptone LPS-1 currently providing power to my Microrendu. Here is the link he shared with me. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Q8IKRE

This was a $5.00 cable and i received it yesterday. The LPS-1 was able to successfully power both the microrendu and FMC closest to microrendu easily and now have an amazing system that has dropped noise level as far as possible ( I guess i could add an LPS-1 to the second FMC but dont think that would add anything meaningful). I am using the Microrendu to stream directly into my Schiit Yggy DAC.

Uptone LPS-1 power for both Sonore Microrendu and TP Link FMC. I contacted Alex at Uptone and he recommended i try a Y-connector on the Uptone LPS-1 currently providing power to my Microrendu. Here is the link he shared with me. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Q8IKRE

This was a $5.00 cable and i received it yesterday. The LPS-1 was able to successfully power both the microrendu and FMC closest to microrendu easily and now have an amazing system that has dropped noise level as far as possible ( I guess i could add an LPS-1 to the second FMC but dont think that would add anything meaningful). I am using the Microrendu to stream directly into my Schiit Yggy DAC.

Excellent -- thanks. I've ordered one and will give it a try with the second FMC (the one just before the microRendu).

Dan

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

Excellent -- thanks. I've ordered one and will give it a try with the second FMC (the one just before the microRendu).

Dan

I got an LPS-1 inhouse, and ordered/received the linked y cable yesterday. So now the LPS-1, at 7v setting, is powering the microRendu and a Trendnet FMC (the one providing fiber/ethernet to the microRendu). I have to say that the combination is an incredible value, and puts the microRendu into a new level of both musicality and rock solid imaging. I will describe in more detail over on my Holo Spring review update, but whereas before I would switch between the Windows NAA and the microRendu for giggles, there is no going back to the Windows NAA (unless short-term to use I2S on the Singxer since it is not native Linux on the mR yet). And the green light proves that there is no power issue with either unit or the splitter.

His weekend I cobbled together a y-cable just to test FMC plus mR powered from my LPS-1. Yeah, pretty darn stunning...

(Secretly wishing for a midiRendu with built in FMC and LPS-1. I know this is not in Superdad’s plans. But still, all these boxes...)

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3