IGNORED

Power supplies and cables - observations, considerations & commentary

Here's a thread for folks to give/share their experiences with powering the microRendu by various means. We've been told that power is imperative in getting the best out of this little box. My personal experience has born this out.

I've had the Sonic Transporter/USB Drive library>microRendu>Lampizator L4G5 combo running in for about 40 hours as of this afternoon. I started off powering the microRendu with a 7.8v measured output of my HDPlex100 PSU, same as I'd been recently using to power the Regen. Today I figured it was time to try out other options I have on hand.

The bundle ordered from Small Green Computer includes an iFi iPower, 9.3v measured output. Inserting it into the power spot brought (actually to my surprise) positive results. Sound got a bit bigger, bass somewhat more pronounced - as I felt was needed, a decent step in the right direction IMO. Listened to this for a while and then went in search of one of the cap buffered Li-on batt PSUs I'd cobbled up for the Regen way back when - 8.3v measured output.

After a bit of re-soldering and charging it was ready to go. Almost immediately upon power-up I was feeling very glad that I gave it a try. The sound bloomed more, bass was even more evident, and this just sounded more musical to me To use an analogy it sounded more like ....... well, go ahead and pick your own over-used audiophile phrase. I sure like this sound - the sound/music has more body and is more believable and satisfying to these ears.

It's still very early in the game with lots of other things to try as far as optimization of this set-up. What I can easily say right now is that I LIKE what I'm hearing. That coupled with the fact that I know it WILL get even better makes me very glad I took this plunge.

BTW: I'm running things in Roon Core/Server mode. It's my first exposure and experience with Roon. I think it may very quickly spoil me for anything else.

ps: As is usually the case the normal caveat of "my system, my ears, my taste" applies.

Thanks for sharing this. Very helpful!

I'm looking forward to receiving my microRendu. I will start with el Cheapo supply that's powering the REGEN now.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I am using the Sotm battery supply, which is what I was using for the SMS-100. Sounds amazing. No need to experiment for me.

PS Audio P5 Power Plant>HQ Player Mac Book Pro BootCamp Win10>NAA Mac Mini BootCamp Win 10>REGEN Green>REGEN Amber>IFI iDSD Micro>BHSE>Stax SR-009

I am using the Sotm battery supply, which is what I was using for the SMS-100. Sounds amazing. No need to experiment for me.

Thanks. Good to know!

Will also be very interested in direct comparison of Sotm BPSU and the new Uptone unit when it becomes available.

Realized today that I didn't bother to try the original Regen MPS unit on the microRendu. I don't expect much from it, but it will be another point of reference.

Yep. That would be interesting. I have the "El Cheapo" LPS that I was using for the Regen. I held on to it with the plan to use it to power the new Uptone PS. Right now, the system sounds so good, I'm questioning if I will go down that route.

PS Audio P5 Power Plant>HQ Player Mac Book Pro BootCamp Win10>NAA Mac Mini BootCamp Win 10>REGEN Green>REGEN Amber>IFI iDSD Micro>BHSE>Stax SR-009

Yep. That would be interesting. I have the "El Cheapo" LPS that I was using for the Regen. I held on to it with the plan to use it to power the new Uptone PS. Right now, the system sounds so good, I'm questioning if I will go down that route.

The jury is still, literally, out on it all this early in the game.

My point of reference, which I hope to surpass, is a top level Auralic Aries used with Uptone Regen and upgraded PSUs for both, along with cabling.

Got it. Well, I replaced the SMS 100 as HQPlayer NAA and the microRendu is a huge step up in SQ.

Here's a thread for folks to give/share their experiences with powering the microRendu by various means. We've been told that power is imperative in getting the best out of this little box. My personal experience has born this out.

I've had the Sonic Transporter/USB Drive library>microRendu>Lampizator L4G5 combo running in for about 40 hours as of this afternoon. I started off powering the microRendu with a 7.8v measured output of my HDPlex100 PSU, same as I'd been recently using to power the Regen. Today I figured it was time to try out other options I have on hand.

The bundle ordered from Small Green Computer includes an iFi iPower, 9.3v measured output. Inserting it into the power spot brought (actually to my surprise) positive results. Sound got a bit bigger, bass somewhat more pronounced - as I felt was needed, a decent step in the right direction IMO. Listened to this for a while and then went in search of one of the cap buffered Li-on batt PSUs I'd cobbled up for the Regen way back when - 8.3v measured output.

After a bit of re-soldering and charging it was ready to go. Almost immediately upon power-up I was feeling very glad that I gave it a try. The sound bloomed more, bass was even more evident, and this just sounded more musical to me To use an analogy it sounded more like ....... well, go ahead and pick your own over-used audiophile phrase. I sure like this sound - the sound/music has more body and is more believable and satisfying to these ears.

So would you say that the difference was the voltage or the quality of the powering device? Seems like at least two things were changed each time. Does your HDPlex have the adjustable voltage feature? Could it be tweaked to a higher voltage.

Thanks!

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

So would you say that the difference was the voltage or the quality of the powering device? Seems like at least two things were changed each time. Does your HDPlex have the adjustable voltage feature? Could it be tweaked to a higher voltage.

Thanks!

I will look into this changing the HDPlex voltage.

It was originally a 9v output and changed to 7.5v because that's supposed to be the optimal voltage for Regen and microRendu.

Got it. Well, I replaced the SMS 100 as HQPlayer NAA and the microRendu is a huge step up in SQ.

`i've also got an SMS-100,what power supplies are/were you using to power the SMS-100 and microRedu?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Does anyone know if the Bakoon BPS-02 (5V Battery Power Supply and 1 amp) will power the micro-Rendu?

No. you need 7-9 Volts.

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

The jury is still, literally, out on it all this early in the game.

My point of reference, which I hope to surpass, is a top level Auralic Aries used with Uptone Regen and upgraded PSUs for both, along with cabling.

Do I understand you correctly in that the SQ you are getting now from the microRendu is not surpassing the Aries/Regen/upgraded psu's combo?

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

I received mine 2 days ago and have experimented with two PSU's...the HDPlex100 with adjustable dial and a Teddy Pardo @ 9V, 2A.

First was the HDPlex adjusted to 8.2 V. I figured halfway between 7.5 and 9 volts. At first listen, the bass was very lean, but mids and highs were open and detailed. This was also a brand new HDPlex never before used, so it needed burning in as well. After burning in overnight, bass improved a little the next morning but it was still very lean. Then I tried the Teddy Pardo @ 9V. Bass was about the same, but highs were condensed and soundstage closed. I played it this way for about 30 minutes before I concluded it just wasn't in the same league as the HDPlex. And the TP is fully settled in over a year.

Then I adjusted the HDPlex to the minimum setting of 7.5V. The microRendu would not power on. I'm not sure why. Then changed it up to 9V, max for microRendu (safely). It powered on and immediately the bass came back and the sound was more musical. The highs were detailed and soundstage was even bigger than before. I think the volume increased a dB or two as well. I played it for about 5 hours and the bass seemed to become tighter and more accurate as it burned in more.

Given the low hours on the HDPlex and microRendu, I expect further improvement over the next few days, but I would not say I am completely satisfied with the musicality. The sound, to me, is a bit analytical, great for monitoring. But for casual listening, it is not overly engaging. The openness and ease of instrument separation exceeds my expectations, though.

I do expect to try JS's mystery PSU when it is available. As far as system synergy, he would know best what power to give the microRendu.

P.S. I am not interested in spending more dollars on a PSU than the microRendu cost. My head says no due to diminishing returns.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the engineering and performance of this tiny box!

No. you need 7-9 Volts.

No, official spec is 6-9 volts. John Swenson specifically told us not to run it on 5V - it will be underpowered.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I received mine 2 days ago and have experimented with two PSU's...the HDPlex100 with adjustable dial and a Teddy Pardo @ 9V, 2A.

First was the HDPlex adjusted to 8.2 V. I figured halfway between 7.5 and 9 volts. At first listen, the bass was very lean, but mids and highs were open and detailed. This was also a brand new HDPlex never before used, so it needed burning in as well. After burning in overnight, bass improved a little the next morning but it was still very lean. Then I tried the Teddy Pardo @ 9V. Bass was about the same, but highs were condensed and soundstage closed. I played it this way for about 30 minutes before I concluded it just wasn't in the same league as the HDPlex. And the TP is fully settled in over a year.

Then I adjusted the HDPlex to the minimum setting of 7.5V. The microRendu would not power on. I'm not sure why. Then changed it up to 9V, max for microRendu (safely). It powered on and immediately the bass came back and the sound was more musical. The highs were detailed and soundstage was even bigger than before. I think the volume increased a dB or two as well. I played it for about 5 hours and the bass seemed to become tighter and more accurate as it burned in more.

Given the low hours on the HDPlex and microRendu, I expect further improvement over the next few days, but I would not say I am completely satisfied with the musicality. The sound, to me, is a bit analytical, great for monitoring. But for casual listening, it is not overly engaging. The openness and ease of instrument separation exceeds my expectations, though.

I do expect to try JS's mystery PSU when it is available. As far as system synergy, he would know best what power to give the microRendu.

P.S. I am not interested in spending more dollars on a PSU than the microRendu cost. My head says no due to diminishing returns.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the engineering and performance of this tiny box!

Which DAC(s) have u tried it with?

Will be using mine with Paul Hynes sr3 (silver) 7v when it arrived hopefully around same time as the Sonore .....otherwise I don't have anything to power it with lol

Guess is you don't own a Regen then.

Got around to trying my Uptone issued Mean Well today.

Gave it a few hours to acclimate. Forgot that's what was in the system when I started to listen. The sound was not wonderful. I need and expect wonderful. My battery supply went back in and the sound again approached the target.

Waiting, along with many others, for the Uptone MPSU. (Sonore Signature is out of the question for me). Hoping that lifts the uRendu up a notch or two or even three. Sounds very good now - aiming for wonderful.

Used the 7.5v Meanwell that came with my Regen to start burning in the uRendu. Forgot it was still powering the uRendu, took a listen and thought it was a little rough around the edges. Switched to my HDPlex after 1 track, hugely better. Overall, as an HQPlayer NAA certainly better than my Q1900 pc with battery powered SSD and amber & green Regens after only 20 hours burning in. Nice!

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

Used the 7.5v Meanwell that came with my Regen to start burning in the uRendu. Forgot it was still powering the uRendu, took a listen and thought it was a little rough around the edges. Switched to my HDPlex after 1 track, hugely better. Overall, as an HQPlayer NAA certainly better than my Q1900 pc with battery powered SSD and amber & green Regens after only 20 hours burning in. Nice!

Bob, what fiber switch are you using successfully with the uR?

I can only comment on the uR with a new as well iPower. Sold the Regen b/f I could compare it's PS to the iPower so I can only say, I'm very pleased with the uR and iPower. Great sound!

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.