IGNORED

Power supplies and cables - observations, considerations & commentary

Received my microrendu yesterday; so glad to have squeezed in on this run. I've been like a four year old the week before Xmas. Replaced my Unitiqute that was under utilized performing streaming only functions to a Naim DAC V1 (UQ now moved to the office where I can truly use it). Streaming in upnp mode from minimserver on a Small Green microVortexbox using Kazoo.

Wow. Still burning in, but wow. It's night and day out of the box (and the Naim was no slouch) and I can tell it's settling in nicely (USB out on DAC V1 also never used before). Running the iPower though a dedicated circuit and I can see how an lps might bring a bit more weight and gravitas but the "inky blackness" is almost a bit disturbing at times its so clean already! This unit, at this price, its a "game changer" - for me it's game over. My ears are screwed after a life time of being a rock and roll photographer, so the ability to have more come through better defined at a lesser volume without being overly "hifi" is key to taming my roaring tinnitus.

I love the simplicity of the design - much smaller than I expected, but feels really nicely built. Runs warm but not hot at all with the ifi (you could fry an egg on the Naim, even just in streaming out mode - will heat my basement office nicely!). I'd say I gained a good few decibels on volume which doesn't hurt my sweet but slightly underpowered amp (NAP 110). It does show off the pros and cons of my amp - amazing with Coltrane; not enough guts for The Doors. The speakers, Kef LS50's are closer to the wall and together than recommended, so the bass needs real taming and focus, and the rendu scores on that account. Still full, but a lot more detailed. Overall, I'm really impressed with the balance. Everything seems to be in the right place. GUI is super easy and everything worked. Tried so far with Kazoo, Kinsky, and Lumin. Prefer simplicity of Kazoo layout and speed of Lumin. Any other open home control software I should consider?

If the microrendu is a solution that works for you then I wouldn't hesitate for a second to get one. I'm absolutely over the moon with mine and how its transformed my system. Thank you, and thank you for not putting it in an oversized case with fancy front and charging four times as much for it. ;)

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

Oh, and insanely good with my Sennheiser HD700's too!

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

• 1 month later...

Probably the ST. I tried plugging my microVortexbox from Small Green into the same outlet as the HDPLEX powering my rendu, and the sound did get harsher. It got less harsh but more closed in powering both the rendu and the VB from the HD - just not enough juice for both. I now have my VB on a different circuit like I did before and powered with a 'cheap' HK linear power supply. Big difference, and the rendu is now on it's own dedicated circuit. Keep those computers out of the audio room or put a linear power supply on them! Best of luck!

• 1 month later...
My HDPlex 100W mellowed down the SQ that I was getting from the ifi. More natural and realistic, which I like. I wouldn't say the ifi wasn't good though. The brighter SQ conveys a open sense of space that at times made me feel like everything's being played in a 'live' auditorium. Can be additive too. Gear wise, I'm running Tidal via Roon through a wireless core too.

+1 EXACTLY on the description of HD vs iFi.