IGNORED

Power supplies and cables - observations, considerations & commentary

Hi there

I use a uRendu powered by iFi into a BMC PureDAC. About a month ago, as a power upgrade for the uRendu, I ordered a SR3 from Paul Hynes with internal silver wiring and silver power cable upgrades for a total spend of a bit more than £400 with shipping. Paul tells me that it's about to ship so if you give me a week or so I can tell you what impact it has had.

There's also a dude elsewhere on these boards (http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f20-buy-and-sell-audio-and-computer-components/handcrafted-audiophile-linear-power-supply-kenneth-lau-19040/ ) selling custom build LPUs from Hong Kong.

Best

Nikko

My Paul Hynes SR3-07 arrived yesterday and I finally got around to setting it up with my uRendu this morning. For the record, I use Roon/HQPlayer running on a Mac Mini up sampling to DSD128, sent across Cat6 cable to the uRendu and then into a BMC PureDAC. The SR3-07 has replaced the iPower unit that I purchased with the uRendu. I asked Paul to upgrade the SR3-07 with silver wire inside and a silver cable providing power into the uRendu, giving a total cost with UK shipping of around £400.

So how does it sound compared to the iPower? In two words, utterly transformational. This modest outlay has made as big an impact as adding the uRendu into my system in the first place. The SR3 has unlocked a wealth of additional detail that is apparent in many different ways: more bass and tighter bass; more detail on the attack of guitar strings, the acoustics of the human voice; a more realistic soundstage; and an ability to really get inside a fast-moving, complex piece of music (for example, "Goodbye J.D." on Oscar Peterson's "We get requests". And all of this before the unit has even burned itself in.

Of course, I can only use the iPower as a point of comparison and I'm sure the forthcoming unit from UpTone will be impressive. But Paul's work is legendary (he has a big fan club down in Australia for example) and if you live in the UK especially, it makes sense to buy local and get a bargain to boot.

In summary, this product comes highly recommended by me (FWIW). "Confused" - it's time to get off the fence!

Hi Nikko1960,

I'm currently pondering PSU's for my microRendu and Chord 2Qute.

In the frame are the Teddy Pardo and MCRU products. However, I've just found the HiFi Pig review of the Paul Hynes SR3 which sings its praises and now your post above, so my pondering/procrastination is over. I've emailed Paul to confirm if the SR3 can handle 7.5V/2.4A required by the Upton UltraCap LPS-1 and if so I'll be placing an order.

What was the delivery time?

Thanks

Paul

Paul's delivery time is 10-15 working days for the SR3. Mine took a bit longer than that because Paul was on vacation and then so was I.

Best

Nikko

I am a great advocate of the extended home demonstration wherever possible, but for some kit it simply is not possible. This certainly applies to a UK resident interested in US supplied ancillary items.

Paul Hynes offers a 56-day returns policy for his products, no questions asked, if you're not completely satisfied. I have no intention of letting him have mine back!

Nikko

Thanks Nikko,

I've had a reply from Paul and he states the SR3-7.5V can provide 3.3A continuous and 20A transient so it's fine for the Upton UltraCap.LPS-1.

I understand the SR3 takes a while to settle-in so the results out of the box are impressive with more to come.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul

Did you order the SR3 in the end? We should compare notes as I think we're local. I live just outside of Calne and my kids go to school at West Lavington!

Nikko

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Nikko.

Your comment of 'utterly transformational' pretty much sealed the deal so I'm expecting a lot! If not I'll be round your place! ;)

YMMV! All of these changes will be system dependent and I can only tell you how it improved mine. But Flummoxe has heard it too so you could reach out to him directly and ask his opinion. He also has one coming in mid-October.

Nikko