IGNORED

Power supplies and cables - observations, considerations & commentary

Quick update - got a large power bank with 9v output over the weekend and was able to play couple of hours yesterday. The uRendu sounds fantastic over the iFi and only cost a little bit more. Will do more listening today evening but I am leaning towards not buying any more linear power supplies at the moment and continue to use the battery bank, unless someone compares and finds something better :-)

I thought the iPower clearly had more weight/authority in the bass region, while the battery was in some ways more transparent and "clean/clear" sounding with better stereo image/soundstaging. Oddly, the battery also seemed to impart just a smidge of hardness to the upper midrange/treble, so not completely clean n' clear.

Don't think I hear the same in my system.

I think in the end I might use that same battery to energize the forthcoming UpTone LPS-1 in search of the best of both worlds.

And what do you gain by energizing the LPS with the battery pack ?

Actually, I think using a regulated battery based supply is likely the very best way to power the Uptone LPS-1. Say a 10 AH 12 VDC LiFePO4 pack regulated to the best input voltage would be perfect. This way one can only charge the battery when not listening, and keep the charger unplugged during playback.

According to John S, the quality of the charging unit or feed supply is immaterial to the performance of LPS-1. As long as the feed supply is maintaining 18w of output and regulated, the LPS-1 performs equally good with either smps or a lps or battery. The choice of the feed supply depends on how much one wants to stop what is kicked back to the mains (though I suspect this is very much overrated).

In case anyone is thinking that they need to wait until they can afford an expensive PS before its worth investing in a microRendu, let me tell you that there is no need to wait. I am working on getting a nice custom LPS soon,

Mind sharing some details :-)

• 2 weeks later...
I agree that the battery supply to the MicroRendu superior to my ears (like some of you), superior to even my JS2.

Surprisingly, I just returned the battery pack that I bought from Amazon. It was the IntoCircuit 32000mah, exactly same as in post #102. While it did improve a lot over the iFI but it lost dynamics. I am now using a cheap lps now and find it better than the battery. Possible its system dependent...

I am using a Flame 1500mAh 9.9V LiFePO4 battery.

Dev,

I do agree it is system dependent. My DAC is spruced up to a great extent. The battery's greatest contribution is that the background noise floor is even more resolved, lowered, allowing a more natural presentation. Almost no digital artefact now.

I don't know what kind of battery is supplied with these phone charging power packs but I am guessing its not a LiFePO4 battery. Maybe the LiFePO4 battery makes all the differences we are hearing.

• 3 months later...