IGNORED

Power supplies and cables - observations, considerations & commentary

" Originally Posted by Abee_V

Does the iPower throw switching noise back into the AC main?"

"Hi,

Normally yes. But the iPower has a 6-Element Input Array which pretty much stops noise in its tracks from going back into the mains.

At shows we run with +20 iPOWERs off the same spur!"

Cheers."

Then again, John did some measurement of the iPower and say some very strange things on the scope along with extremely high leakage voltage. He described them here, though he went into a bit more detail with me on the phone. Not to say that the iPower does not "sound" decent. I have one, and it is a modest improvement over the Mean Well 7.5V/2.93A/22W unit we supply with the REGEN.

But the iPower is still a switcher and there is no way they are removing all AC-side noise from it. If they were--and in that tiny case--they could have a patent, exit the hi-fi business and make tens of millions selling it for power supplies all over the world. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I understands Superdad's comments to mean that even the MeanWell wall wart he will supply (if asked) with the LPS-1 is pretty low noise into the AC, and with a fairly benign noise profile. So it will sound good.

The comments on this forum pretty much always push towards getting the most expensive, most tweaked out solutions possible.

At some point there is a big drop off of results for the dollar.

If you already put out the bucks for a superior PS like the SuperCap, the question needs to be asked how much extra SQ you are getting in YOUR system by investing more in it,and is that the most worthwhile place for you to spend on your system, and even if YOU will hear the difference in YOUR setup.

The answer isn't always yes.

Discussion of our forthcoming UltraCap LPS-1 (production board order being released in a few days!) belongs over at the its thread. But since some continuing premature fixations about choice of "energizing" supply for our 100% galvanically isolated device have bled over to here, I'll paste a recent response comment of mine:

I have a feeling that everyone is going to find out that the problem with SMPS has more to do with leakage currents--now blocked by the LPS-1--and not much to do with the high frequency noise they kick back into the AC (which modern Level VI units--such as the Mean Well we include--spread over a broad and very high range to meet the emission standard). There is already more crap in your AC lines than these SMPS are putting in.

Now back to watching the fun with Amir… ;)

I'm thinking about going with a Meridian Director USB DAC to join with my mRendu. However, the Director draws its power from USB, and apparently prefers a steady 5V to sound its best.

Was wondering if anyone knows the USB output power of the mRendu?

Yes, the MicroRendu provides ample and very quiet USB VBUS output for DACs that need it. The 5 volt/1 amp regulator it uses to do so is best in class, and it is supported by a good size, ultra-low ESR filter cap, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, I'm going for the paul hyne as well. The Uptone LPS is way overdue and obviously they are having problems with testing. May not be out for months if ever at this rate.

Actually, the production boards will arrive this coming week and we will begin shipments in less that 3 weeks. My goal for tomorrow and this weekend is to finish up the web info/order page to start accepting orders on Tuesday. I know this has taken a long time, and appreciate everyone's patience and frustration, but we promise it will have been worth the wait.

--Alex C.

Jesus, by chance do you have the specs on the stock SMPS that shipped with the microRendu?

I am trying to figure out if it can be used to power the LPS-1. My stock microRendu SMPS is in storage and not currently accessible so I am not easily able to look at it to verify.

Hi Blake:

As long as you are bringing up the LPS-1, I just posted the below in the main microRendu thread, though I suppose it really belongs in this one.

----------

Wow, the microRendu is a real power miser! Check out pics of its low 160mA (0.16A) current draw (at 7V)--and of it in turn bus-powering an iFi iDSD DAC/headphone amp, with a total draw for the two of just 0.85A.

The isolated LPS-1 combined with the isolated microRendu and a bus-powered DAC really removes both the AC and computer stuff from the equation!

----------

Hope Jesus does not mind the shameless plug. But a lot of you microRendu owners have already signed up for our new toy, and I am pleased to report about how little Sonore's marvel sips. :)

--Alex C.