IGNORED

Power supplies and cables - observations, considerations & commentary

Some thoughts on power supplies.

I previously ran a Logitech Touch, which was replaced with an sms100 and sotm battery.

I then added a LH USB cable with split power and data out of the sms100 usb.

The power leg of the LH cable was supplied by an Anker USB battery I had lying around and the improvement was amazing.

So my setup powering was:

sotm battery to run sms100

anker battery to replace 5V on split usb cable to DAC.

i'll be getting my uRendu in June and it will be interesting to see if the split data/power LH usb cable has the same impact, or if the uRendu is an all-in-one solution that achieves the same magic.

of course if the uRendu is even better, my head may explode due to an overload of goodness

on a separate power supply note, does anyone have a recommendation for obtaining a good clean 7V from a car system (i.e. off the 12V car battery)?

You have to be very careful with this. Most cars exceed 12VDC. Probably best to use an isolated power supply that you can remove and charge externally. Use your SOtM battery power supply in the car.

• 2 weeks later...
John/Barrows,

I am using a JS-2 to power the uRendu but have my massive Hynes SR7-EHD (normally 12-19V) sitting idle currently and was able to dial it down to minimum, which reads as 10.34V. Is that safe to try on the uRendu or should I not (given the spec of 9V max).

Thanks

6-9 volts only

Just wanted to report that I switched from the Regen supply to an iFi iPower 9V. Sound seems slightly improved. Nothing dramatic.

As far as heat: I live in a very warm environment, the mR gets warm to very warm - definitely not too hot to touch comfortably - which is what JS warned about. My DAC doesn't pull any power over the USB, acc'd to the mfg.

Just remove the USB connection and keep power on and that will give you an indication of what your DAC is / isn't doing with the USB power.

• 1 month later...
Furthermore, I've gone to considerable expense to outfit my whole system with high quality power cords featuring the Furutech FI-50 carbon fiber rhodium plated connectors, and their GTX® outlets. Now one of those plug/outlet connections is interrupted by a 50 cent Walmart cheater plug.

You can always either disconnect the ground wire on the power cable, or outlet.

I would continue to look for the cause as well. Have you checked for continuity between the legs of the power cables in the system?

Thanks for these thoughts, John. Regarding the question of whether this is microRendu or some other digital equipment, I would refer you to my original post, and #4 in my list of experiments. With the ethernet cable disconnected from microRendu, I was hearing the noise, but it was at regular 1 second or less intervals. A subsequent poster suggested this was all packet noise, and the regular interval noise was the microRendu trying to ping the server without the ethernet cable connected. At any rate, the noise was there with no connection to any other computer, so I think by process of elimination this must mean it's the microRendu.

As for running your leakage current experiment, I'm not sure if I have a computer that would work for this. Would the WfS Recovery work? Or how about leaving the microRendu USB output disconnected from the audio system, powering it with the HDPlex, and running the wire from PS negative output to RCA shell of audio system? Would that suffice as a test?

All things the same and the fact the iFi iPower and older HD Plex linear PS do not produce the issue makes me uneasy about your HD Plex linear PS. I would return that PS to Larry and let him sort it out.

Can someone recommend a good linear power supply for the micro? I know there are many options - which is why I'm asking. What's the best voltage to go with for performance (no cooling issues)?

I've been enjoying the heck out of the thing for a few weeks now with the stock switching supply - time to max it out.

Cost is not too much of an object.

I think we make the best one:)

Would something like this fill the bill of providing really pure power, similarly, but much less expensively than the previously recommended HP units.

10A 30V DC Power Supply Adjustable Dual Digital Variable Precision Lab Grade | eBay

Or this?

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Meter%C2%AE-HY3005M-S-Regulated-Switching-Alligator/dp/B00UJG2TLS/ref=zg_bs_318022011_6

JC

I don't have any direct feedback on these, but they should work. Make sure to set the voltage and amperage to within our specification. The center pin is positive on our connector.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks John. I read your earlier posts mentioning the finger method. But I'm thinking our personal threshold for pain can vary a lot no? My wife takes a drop of boiling gravy with her finger to see if it tastes right. When I do that my finger melts and becomes gravy.

But I gather from your second point that we're talking about skin losing kind of hot before electronics degrade.

You have two options if you are really concerned about this:

1. Lower the voltage.

2. Turn off the DAC when your done using it.

Thanks Nikko,

I've had a reply from Paul and he states the SR3-7.5V can provide 3.3A continuous and 20A transient so it's fine for the Upton UltraCap.LPS-1.

I understand the SR3 takes a while to settle-in so the results out of the box are impressive with more to come.

Regards

Paul

Why wouldn't you just power the microRendu from the SR3-7.5V power supply and call it a day?

A valid question and thats probably what will happen.

However, with all the hype over the UltraCap LPS-1, I wanted to make sure the SR3-7.5V was suitable "if" I was to go down that route in the future.

Believe me...I'm not surprised people will try this. However, the question needs to be asked so other reading this can understand that it's not something you have to do.

For those of us who definitely can't fit a microrendu via short connection to the DAC anyway, are there any plans for a larger 'macroRendu' with better low frequency PDN impedance?

(It might not make much difference to me as I am powering my microRendu with a JS-2 and my DAC with a separate JS-2. The USB connection between them is a 75cm Chord Silverplus USB. Yes it sounds great.)

I wouldn't overthink this. I'm using a short USB cable so are a good portion of my customers.

I got microRendu last week and very impressed with the results using iFi 9V PSU. I compared with PS Audio LANRover and MicroRendu is comparable to LANRover. However LANRover edges out microRendu in some case but overall they are neck to neck in performance in my system.

I believe if i feed microRendu with good LPSU then it can beat PS Audio LANRover.

So I'm considering JS-2 or Sonore Signature LPSU or Uptone UltraCap LPS-1. I've HDPlex on the way to get a flavor of LPSU but I really want a better PSU.

I know its been asked several time before. Can anybody opine on how does JS-2 compare with Sonore Signature LPSU?

Here is my signal chain

Synolog DS-1813+ NAS

Roon Server on Win10 (6 core CPU i7-5860K)

Intel NUC i5 (optimized PC running Roon Endpoint + HQPlayer) with Fidelizer Pro on Purist mode.

microRendu(HQPlayer NAA)

Oppo HA-1 DAC

ATI 6007 amp (on dedicated 30amp circuit)

Salk Soundscape SS8

I use Furman reference IT-20i Power conditioner on dedicated 30amp circuit with Furutech outlet.

I think you going in the right direction and will get a better idea about things when you try the HD-Plex PS.

• 3 weeks later...
That last bit made me laugh! That said I bet someone here's tried it. :)

I do try and educate myself a bit on these things before posting - not medical but I looked at CERN - I think we can agree they have sensitive kit. They actually publish quite a bit about linear power supplies and some of the issues discussed about earthing and noise pollution etc. In fact if seems it's pretty tightly controlled on what can be used. But they only reference analogue measurement equipment. It seems at CERN you can use a normal power supply on digital kit. I know that's a bit tongue in cheek and was a nights reading so not conclusive. But the emphasis was clearly on sensors and analogue domain.

Now on a DAC the clock affects the analogue output, I can see that. But from what I understand, with async transmission the DACs clock is the master and it's going to buffer the incoming data anyway, so why is a super-stable clock in the streamer needed? As long as the bits aren't late they should be good to go. That's why I find it so hard to rationalise. Noise pollution I can grasp - but my house (and London) is full of it and I don't have isolated hifi supply so it would be hard for me to experiment here. So I guess that falls into the 'my system isn't resolving enough to hear it' zone?

Its all truly fascinating but I really wish some peer reviewed scientific papers would cover the whole audio pathway from digital data to DAC output, and explain all the processes in detail so we're not left hunting around for all the pieces to the puzzle - with the amount of genuine voodoo out there it's really tricky to gauge what's fact.

I cant say for sure its not all fact as I can't disprove it, but a lot of it seems illogical to a mind like mine. And it's almost impossible to find out what people measure to design and test these theories and make these products.

We sorta got here by being irrational and illogical, but no voodoo:) The Sonicorbiter SE is our more traditional approach if that is what you are into. Anyway, due tell us how your Paul Hynes power supply purchase works out for you.

I must admit that I am now in the position of seriously considering placing an order for the Paul Hynes SR5. My plan is to use this to power both the microRendu and the associated Ethernet switch. The historic issues per Mike's links above do indeed make grim reading, although I do not wish to totally condemn Paul Hynes based on what may now be what was indeed purely historic issues. The recent reports I have read do indicate good communications and reasonably timely issues. I suspect that the recent reports I am aware of will be identical to those mentioned by hifi_swlon, has anyone else had any recent experience with Paul Hynes? I have to say that I have been in communication with him recently and all I have experienced is rapid communication with good factual technical content, so from my own very limited experience I can only conclude all is good now. Maybe I should get my order in before the Atlantic storm season kicks in though!

I have one technical question here. As I said above, my plan is to use the SR5 to power both the microRendu and the associated Ethernet switch. I see this as a neat and simple way to eliminate two wall warts. However, is this the best way to proceed on a purely technical basis? That is, would it be technically superior to use two separate LPSU's for the mR and the switch? Or would this make no difference, all other things being equal?

I don't have any feedback (personal or from customers) in regards to Paul Hynes. It doesn't seem like a good idea to me to power the switch and the microRendu from the same supply. A safer bet is to update just the microRendu's power supply.

And of course there's now the LPS 1 to give us more choices, or confusion, depending on our idea of what's fun.

Think of it this way...you can spend $50, or $395 or +1000 on a PS:) There is something for everyone in that range and the microRendu is the same in all cases.

I've also started this thread to throw in the Vinnie Rossi up and coming Ultracapacitor Power Supplies which are based on the patent pending Vinnie Rossi LIO technology.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/ultracapacitor-power-supplies-are-coming-pure-dc-4evr-mini-and-mega-29986/

That project is not out yet right?

Just received my mR today with iFi 9v PSU. Sounds brilliant after only an hour, so can't imagine what it'll sound like after a week or so. Just ordered the UltraCap just now too. Missed the first 100, but it'll be a nice boost when it arrives beginning of November.... hopefully!

Thanks for posting your findings.