IGNORED

Power supplies and cables - observations, considerations & commentary

Here's a thread for folks to give/share their experiences with powering the microRendu by various means. We've been told that power is imperative in getting the best out of this little box. My personal experience has born this out.

I've had the Sonic Transporter/USB Drive library>microRendu>Lampizator L4G5 combo running in for about 40 hours as of this afternoon. I started off powering the microRendu with a 7.8v measured output of my HDPlex100 PSU, same as I'd been recently using to power the Regen. Today I figured it was time to try out other options I have on hand.

The bundle ordered from Small Green Computer includes an iFi iPower, 9.3v measured output. Inserting it into the power spot brought (actually to my surprise) positive results. Sound got a bit bigger, bass somewhat more pronounced - as I felt was needed, a decent step in the right direction IMO. Listened to this for a while and then went in search of one of the cap buffered Li-on batt PSUs I'd cobbled up for the Regen way back when - 8.3v measured output.

After a bit of re-soldering and charging it was ready to go. Almost immediately upon power-up I was feeling very glad that I gave it a try. The sound bloomed more, bass was even more evident, and this just sounded more musical to me To use an analogy it sounded more like ....... well, go ahead and pick your own over-used audiophile phrase. I sure like this sound - the sound/music has more body and is more believable and satisfying to these ears.

It's still very early in the game with lots of other things to try as far as optimization of this set-up. What I can easily say right now is that I LIKE what I'm hearing. That coupled with the fact that I know it WILL get even better makes me very glad I took this plunge.

BTW: I'm running things in Roon Core/Server mode. It's my first exposure and experience with Roon. I think it may very quickly spoil me for anything else.

ps: As is usually the case the normal caveat of "my system, my ears, my taste" applies.

I am using the Sotm battery supply, which is what I was using for the SMS-100. Sounds amazing. No need to experiment for me.

Thanks. Good to know!

Will also be very interested in direct comparison of Sotm BPSU and the new Uptone unit when it becomes available.

Realized today that I didn't bother to try the original Regen MPS unit on the microRendu. I don't expect much from it, but it will be another point of reference.

Yep. That would be interesting. I have the "El Cheapo" LPS that I was using for the Regen. I held on to it with the plan to use it to power the new Uptone PS. Right now, the system sounds so good, I'm questioning if I will go down that route.

The jury is still, literally, out on it all this early in the game.

My point of reference, which I hope to surpass, is a top level Auralic Aries used with Uptone Regen and upgraded PSUs for both, along with cabling.

So would you say that the difference was the voltage or the quality of the powering device? Seems like at least two things were changed each time. Does your HDPlex have the adjustable voltage feature? Could it be tweaked to a higher voltage.

Thanks!

I will look into this changing the HDPlex voltage.

It was originally a 9v output and changed to 7.5v because that's supposed to be the optimal voltage for Regen and microRendu.

Will be using mine with Paul Hynes sr3 (silver) 7v when it arrived hopefully around same time as the Sonore .....otherwise I don't have anything to power it with lol

Guess is you don't own a Regen then.

Got around to trying my Uptone issued Mean Well today.

Gave it a few hours to acclimate. Forgot that's what was in the system when I started to listen. The sound was not wonderful. I need and expect wonderful. My battery supply went back in and the sound again approached the target.

Waiting, along with many others, for the Uptone MPSU. (Sonore Signature is out of the question for me). Hoping that lifts the uRendu up a notch or two or even three. Sounds very good now - aiming for wonderful.

I am powering with a JS-2 (7V; the other rail left unplugged) and will get a better sense before I switch to my SOtM dual battery supply. I suppose it makes no difference at the JS-2 9V; dunno.

Look forward to your impressions.

Not sure what you mean about JS-2 7v and then JS-2 9v.

Can you use it at both of these voltages?

Yes, the Uptone JS-2 has two rails, each adjustable at 5V, 7V, 9V or 12V. When I use my Windows NAA machine I power it with the rail I have set for 12V (but I don't keep it that rail plugged in if using the other rail, as ground is shared). The other rail is currently set for 7V for uRendu but I could do 9V (probably just run hotter and break in faster, as per Jesus). My SOtM battery is 7V.

Nice options!

I'm finding the same is true using the 9vcd iPower supply, running barely warm to the touch which sort of surprised me, I was expecting it to produce more heat than that.

Tried the iFi iPower again today. This time I plugged it into my Blue Circle power conditioner.... Zowee! Think the iPower may be staying in place until the coming of the Mystery PSU. Sounding REALLY nice - at least as good as the Aries>Regen chain , IME ... and the best is yet to come. :D

Those with both Regen and uRendu, have anyone tried the Meanwell PSU for the Regen on the uRendu and compared this against the iFi one for uRendu?

Yes, I have done just that.

The little iFi iPower, to me in my system, sounds substantially better.

I also like it better than the 7.5v output of my HDPlex 100.

My 8.3v Li-On battery supply has a smoother/rounder presentation which is an alternative, though I prefer the iFi overall.

Tomorrow afternoon I will get my Vinnie Rossi LIO updated so it can power the microRendu. Right now I am using the power supply that came with the UpTone Regen as my iFi power supply is noisy and I haven't been able to determine why.

George

Wow, that is odd. While mine was not at all noticeably noisy, the sound did improve when I plugged it into my Blue Circle power conditioner.

I moved some things around and can now plug the iFi into a Pi Audio UbrrBuss or a Furman IT-Ref 20 balanced power conditioner. Hopefully that will take care of the noise.

I would like to compare the iFi power supply to Vinnie's solution.

George

Great, that will be interesting and helpful.

I strongly recommend looking for a HP 6286A D.C. variable power supply. These were built around 1980 and cost around $1000 even back then. They were made to power HP test equipment , so they are very accurate and well built. You can adjust voltage and amperage by the oversize meter on the faceplate. My system sounded best at 8.9 volts and I do believe that different voltages slightly alter the presentation.

Interesting Harry.

How about physical/mechanical noise with these units such as hum, vibration, fan noise, etc?

No fan. I can hear it with my ear up to it, but no real noise. I used it on the Regen and thought it helped a little AND I thought different voltages affected it. I'm a lot more confident it is really nice powering my URendu. You see them all over E bay for cheap, but get one in great shape. Maybe $350?? My guess is these would run around $4000 if built by and Audio company in 2016. HP spent a bunch on R and D back then to make sure their supplies didn't add distortion to their megabuck test equipment. [ATTACH=CONFIG]26071[/ATTACH]

Thanks!

I see a bunch of different models of HP Lab PSU of similar vintage out there. Are there particulars that recommend this model?

I don't know enough about them to answer that. The only thing I would do is get a model that can cover 0-20 volts for flexibility and has a working meter. I just wanted to throw these out there as a possibility. Mine has been great for my Off Ramps, Regen's and now the u Rendu.

AOK, appreciated.

With micro-adjustable voltage/amperage it seems a quite versatile tool.

• 5 weeks later...
Surprisingly, I just returned the battery pack that I bought from Amazon. It was the IntoCircuit 32000mah, exactly same as in post #102. While it did improve a lot over the iFI but it lost dynamics. I am now using a cheap lps now and find it better than the battery. Possible its system dependent...

I built a couple of capacitor buffered Li-on battery packs early on to use with the Regen. Tried one with the mRendu and found it "soft" sounding compared with iFi and LPSUs. "Undynamic" may be a synonym.

• 1 month later...

"The DSD of Elton Johns Tumbleweed Connection, which I had previously found to be an excellent recording and totally engaging, is now harsh and uninvolving."

Something isn't right, that's for sure. A few cuts from this album (DSD rip) are also part of my reference playlist.

Curious to hear your thoughts after a couple of hundred hours are on the unit.

Also, I find the following to most often be the case: You can't change just one thing in a well "balanced" SYSTEM without having to go back and rebalance it. Takes some work, but that's how you end up better and farther down the line.

Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...