IGNORED

Power supplies and cables - observations, considerations & commentary

In case anyone is thinking that they need to wait until they can afford an expensive PS before its worth investing in a microRendu, let me tell you that there is no need to wait. I am working on getting a nice custom LPS soon, but instead of waiting in silence have been listening with an $11 Hosa adjustable PS from Amazon (set at 7.5V) that I grabbed just to hold me over for a couple of weeks. The sound quality is excellent even with this inexpensive supply. It clearly crushes the stock 2009 MacMini/Audirvana+ setup that I had been using.

I'm using in DLNA mode with Lumin as primary control point and mimimserver running from my Synology NAS.

I agree. I have the exact same set up, except that I use the iFi power supply. It sound better than what I had before (an Odroid as a streamer) and it outclasses my Denon transport.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

While I want a nice LPS like everyone else, I'm wondering if plugging the iFi iPower into a filter like the AC-7A would eliminate/mitigate the kick-back-into-the-AC/system noise issue?

This filter was recommended by Jim Smith, author of Good Sound:

AC-7A - AC line filter with 1 ft cord with 120 V AC NEMA standard plug and receptacle for Wall-Warts or other AC mains devices.

So in theory to stop the contaminating "backwash" noise you'd plug the iPower into this and plug this into AC.

Is this conceptually accurate/effective? Would it in theory help sound quality?

One of the main design goals of the iFi was to minimize the noise kicked back into the power grid. you shouldn't need a filter.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948