IGNORED

CA Site Upgrades Coming Soon

I'd most like something else:

A better search feature. The present one is very weak, especially when trying searches of two or more words. If you know there are post(s) on a particular topic, it's very hard to find them - even with the advanced search feature. It's usually easier to find them doing a Google search limited to the site domain. I think the internal search should be at least close to the effectiveness of Google for internal searches.

I agree with that.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Great stuff so far guys. Much appreciated.

with respect to search: I'm with you guys 100% Since CA started in 2007 the site has used several different search technologies. We had Google search built-in to the site a number of years ago and it worked well. When the site CMS was changed, so did the search functionality.

I will see what it takes to get Google search back on CA.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Looking forward to them.

Two things if they are even fixable due to iOS limitations:

1. Using a iPhone or iPad surveys do not show up

2. Video playback of links e.g. on song or album of the day threads do not play back.

Great stuff so far guys. Much appreciated.

with respect to search: I'm with you guys 100% Since CA started in 2007 the site has used several different search technologies. We had Google search built-in to the site a number of years ago and it worked well. When the site CMS was changed, so did the search functionality.

I will see what it takes to get Google search back on CA.

Hi Chris,

There is some extremely useful information buried in the thousands of threads and blogs since the site commenced 8 years ago, however, I really struggle to find things with the current search engine so that would be my priority.

With regard to moderation I agree with your attitude. Do we really need to be told how to behave as all we are dong here is discussing our understanding of how audio works and what we like and as you suggest no one is killing any puppies. What's so important about your opinions that you have to abuse someone else if they don't agree with them?

Still the best site on the net and I have learnt a lot.

Thanks again,

Ajax

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Looking forward to them.

2. Video playback of links e.g. on song or album of the day threads do not play back.

Hi tranz - Few questions, so I can better understand and make the appropriate design decisions going forward.

1. When you use an iPhone do you use the mobile web interface, iOS app, or full (desktop) web interface?

2. When you use an iPad do you use the mobile web interface, iOS app, or full (desktop) web interface?

3. Are you talking about YouTube links? Is this problem just on a mobile or iPad?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Looking forward to them.

On the iPhone, the Poll/survey does not show on both App and via Safari.

On the iPhone, the videos play back fine using Safari, but just hang using the App.

Yes, on Tapatalk via Android polls also don't show up. You can read the related thread, but not see or vote in polls.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

These are the most appealing to me from your list, Chris.

• Chatroom that is archived and searchable for future reference
  • Automatic thread refreshing without page reloads
  • Advanced Private Messaging with attachments and auto-responders
  • Advanced classified section with auctions, stock, buy it now, automated bidding, feedback system, etc...

You might consider a brief log-in test to check the levels of anxiety, frustration and hostility before posting - it'd be the CA equivalent of a breathalyzer check before your car will start, or the app that stops you from texting or calling while drunk.

Thanks, Chris!! giggle.gif

David

Hi guys - After the Munich show CA will be moving to a newer, better, faster server. Once the move is complete we'll have the option to implement additional site features. Please take a look at some of the possibilities below. Let me know what interests you and what doesn't. Feel free to make suggestions that aren't on this list as well.

Like this post / Thanks for this post button

Chatroom that is archived and searchable for future reference

User tagging / user notification when mentioned with @ symbol prior to username

Automatic thread refreshing without page reloads

Advanced Private Messaging with attachments and auto-responders

Profile hovering that shows a profile summary of users when you hover over their user names

Thread ratings

Advanced classified section with auctions, stock, buy it now, automated bidding, feedback system, etc...

"Like" is a nice idea. Perhaps consider voting up or down a la Slashdot (with a limited number of votes per person per time period, so some consideration would have to go into up- or down-voting).

Chatroom, would have to see how that went - might be a lot of stuff missed even with archiving and search. An idea: Provide a facility for schematics/PCBs to be viewed, perhaps even edited(?), in a chatroom; would be fun for DIYers and those of us who would like to be.

Tagging/notification, I think probably not - the very people most apt to be tagged would probably turn off notifications in self-defense.

Auto thread refreshing, definitely. Particularly notification of someone else posting while you're writing a comment, and the ability to conveniently see what they've written without abandoning your own comment.

Advanced private messaging, sure.

Profile on hover, definitely.

Thread ratings, yes, with same proviso as up- or down-voting, i.e., limited number of times a user can do this per time period.

Advanced classifieds, yep.

Other ideas I like:

- Improved search.

- Improvements for the app - e.g., ability to see/vote in polls, improved formatting/attachment capabilities (via a dropdown?), such as photo sharing direct from phone.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

"Like" is a nice idea. Perhaps consider voting up or down a la Slashdot (with a limited number of votes per person per time period, so some consideration would have to go into up- or down-voting).

Chatroom, would have to see how that went - might be a lot of stuff missed even with archiving and search. An idea: Provide a facility for schematics/PCBs to be viewed, perhaps even edited(?), in a chatroom; would be fun for DIYers and those of us who would like to be.

Tagging/notification, I think probably not - the very people most apt to be tagged would probably turn off notifications in self-defense.

Auto thread refreshing, definitely. Particularly notification of someone else posting while you're writing a comment, and the ability to conveniently see what they've written without abandoning your own comment.

Advanced private messaging, sure.

Profile on hover, definitely.

Thread ratings, yes, with same proviso as up- or down-voting, i.e., limited number of times a user can do this per time period.

Advanced classifieds, yep.

Other ideas I like:

- Improved search.

- Improvements for the app - e.g., ability to see/vote in polls, improved formatting/attachment capabilities (via a dropdown?), such as photo sharing direct from phone.

Agreed on all counts, except maybe Slashdot.

Various speakers, electronics, cable, etc. on loan for manufacturers' evaluation.

More or less permanently in use:

Schiit Iggy (latest), Ayre QB-9 DSD, Ayre Codex, Uptone Audio ISO Regen/LPS-1 Power supply, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio LanRover, Small Green Computer, Sonore ultraRendu, gigaFOIL4 ethernet/optical filter - Keces PS-3 power supply, (3) MBPs - stripped down for music only,  AQ Diamond USB & Ethernet, Transparent USB, Curious USB, LH Lightspeed split USB, Halide USB DAC, Audirvana +, Pure Music, ASR Emitter II Exclusive Blue amp, Ayre K-5xeMP preamp, Pass X-1 preamp, Quicksilver Mid-Mono Amps, Pass XA-30.5 amp, Duelund ICs & Speaker Cables, Paul Hynes SR-7 power supply, Grand Prix Audio Monaco Isolation racks & F1 shelves, Tannoy Canterbury SEs w/custom Duelund crossovers and stands, 2 REL 212SEs, AV RoomService EVPs, ASC Tube Traps, tons of CDs, 30 IPS masters, LPs.

http://www.getbettersound.com

Great thread Chris, thanks for asking. I like all the suggestions I understand, especially:

"User tagging / user notification when mentioned with @ symbol prior to username"

One that hasn't been mentioned and is a constant irritant for slow typists is the "Restore auto-saved content" feature which doesn't work. Please make it function! This is the only forum I've seen with "expired tokens." Please delete that function or at least save the written content to fix the problem. I've lost 20-30 hours of writing because of it, and have nearly quit the forum many times for that reason. Good forums VALUE and REMEMBER what you write! I've participated in audio forums for 25 years; no other has treated participation so rudely.

I'm sorry to bring the same complaint after so many years, but you haven't bothered to fix this glaring problem; I hope you finally will.

Thank you.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

My vote would be to include a large library of emoticons to pick from.

Right now there are none (except for the basic keyboard ones). I get that some folks don't like them but given the number of Users on the site who come from all walks of life across many different continents sometimes I think many of the battles seen here are because someone didn't catch "the joke" or read deep enough into the meaning of a given response resulting is an unnecessary battle and a waste of bandwidth for the innocent bystanders. With a few pictures included along the way maybe it will help clarify what is being written.

Besides all that though, I find some of them pretty damn funny

Hi guys - After the Munich show CA will be moving to a newer, better, faster server. Once the move is complete we'll have the option to implement additional site features. Please take a look at some of the possibilities below. Let me know what interests you and what doesn't. Feel free to make suggestions that aren't on this list as well.

Like this post / Thanks for this post button

Chatroom that is archived and searchable for future reference

User tagging / user notification when mentioned with @ symbol prior to username

Automatic thread refreshing without page reloads

Advanced Private Messaging with attachments and auto-responders

Profile hovering that shows a profile summary of users when you hover over their user names

Thread ratings

Advanced classified section with auctions, stock, buy it now, automated bidding, feedback system, etc...

I highlighted the things I think would be nice to have.

No electron left behind.

One that hasn't been mentioned and is a constant irritant for slow typists is the "Restore auto-saved content" feature which doesn't work. Please make it function! This is the only forum I've seen with "expired tokens." Please delete that function or at least save the written content to fix the problem. I've lost 20-30 hours of writing because of it, and have nearly quit the forum many times for that reason. Good forums VALUE and REMEMBER what you write! I've participated in audio forums for 25 years; no other has treated participation so rudely.

I'm sorry to bring the same complaint after so many years, but you haven't bothered to fix this glaring problem; I hope you finally will.

Thank you.

Try Lazarus Form Recovery for either Chrome or Firefox. It saves and restores data from form fills, forum replies, etc. Very useful and has saved me a lot time from having to type content again.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Try Lazarus Form Recovery for either Chrome or Firefox. It saves and restores data from form fills, forum replies, etc. Very useful and has saved me a lot time from having to type content again.

Thanks! But the builder went under, so I'm hesitant. And keyloggers are notorious for being open to attack--but I'll look around (again).

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

Thank you.

You could prepare your message in any text editor then paste or drag into the forum editor when ready.

Not a critical item, but a nice feature on headfi is the pic/gallery function on the right side of the topics.

While in a forum topic, you can select view gallery, which pops up an embedded "window" which allows one to cycle through the pics. It's nice when you're looking for a certain pic to recall which otherwise you have to go page by page. If there are 20, 50 pages it's really time consuming.

Sent from CA app

My rig

You could prepare your message in any text editor then paste or drag into the forum editor when ready.

+1. That's what I do regardless of forum. I've been burned so many times losing my post from hitting preview and it didn't work so you select the back button and everything is gone or accidentally hitting the backspace key which is the browser back button.

Always write (the lengthy ones) in word or something, review it and paste it into the browser - IMHO of course.

Sent from CA app

My rig

One other idea that comes from an ad I read yesterday about Rick Fryer of Spectral coming to Innovative Audio in NYC tonight and tomorrow, and thinking "Hmm, if I'd known about it earlier I might have made plans to attend:"

What about a sort of "community bulletin board," open not only to members but also dealers and local audio societies, to post news of audiophile gatherings around the world?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

+1. That's what I do regardless of forum...

Absolutely, you can use that workaround (I do it often) because a part of the forum's code sucks, or you can try to fix the problem.

One other idea that comes from an ad I read yesterday about Rick Fryer of Spectral coming to Innovative Audio in NYC tonight and tomorrow, and thinking "Hmm, if I'd known about it earlier I might have made plans to attend:"

What about a sort of "community bulletin board," open not only to members but also dealers and local audio societies, to post news of audiophile gatherings around the world?

+1

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A